Travelling abroad with the Lumia 900

Contributor

Travelling abroad with the Lumia 900

In May I am traveling to the UK and am wondering about service. I tried using the Travel Guide but the phone isn't listed. Normally I'd assume that to mean there is no service, but being that the phone is pretty new maybe the Guide hasn't been updated. Thanks for the info.

J

Message 1 of 6 (2,074 Views)
Mentor

Re: Travelling abroad with the Lumia 900

It works fine.

joeytmann wrote:

In May I am traveling to the UK and am wondering about service. I tried using the Travel Guide but the phone isn't listed. Normally I'd assume that to mean there is no service, but being that the phone is pretty new maybe the Guide hasn't been updated. Thanks for the info.

J

Message 2 of 6 (2,043 Views)
Contributor

Re: Traveling abroad with the Lumia 900

The question was "...Traveling abroad with the Nokia Lumia 900.." and supposedly the answer was "....it works fine does".

My Question is; have you done this with this phone and how did you "adjust for it" (new/interchangeable sim card?) and what worked correctly; cell service, text, internet browsing, email & cost of data plan - if they were available through whom? 

Second Question; Have you used the phone outside of Canada and the USA (Mexico, South America, Europe, Far East and Austraila)?

Thanks

Message 3 of 6 (1,997 Views)
Scholar

Unless your lumia 900 is unlocked, you won't be able to drop a UK sim card into it. 

With the At&T sim card in it, you will be roaming in the UK, paying AT&T's international roaming rates.  It has all the proper band support for roaming there.  Granted, you also need to have AT&T enable international roaming on your account.  Check their web site for roaming rates.

If you can get it unlocked, then you could purchase a sim card over there and use the phone with a local company.  Your at&t phone number, however, won't ring your phone in this case.

All this holds true for any GSM phone in any international location.

Message 4 of 6 (1,973 Views)
Mentor

Got the impression from the OP that he/she was looking on the at&t site and hadn't seen the phone listed.  I have used it outside the US (got the phone the day before my last trip) with the at&t SIM and you are, of course, correct with the data charge hits even with the discounted international roaming.  Someone else is paying for it but I do like to keep my charges down and normally have data roaming off and grab data when I find Wi-Fi somewhere.  I carry an old unlocked Motorola for the SIM Card swaps but need something where people can reach my on my US number.

smcb wrote:

Unless your lumia 900 is unlocked, you won't be able to drop a UK sim card into it. 

With the At&T sim card in it, you will be roaming in the UK, paying AT&T's international roaming rates.  It has all the proper band support for roaming there.  Granted, you also need to have AT&T enable international roaming on your account.  Check their web site for roaming rates.

If you can get it unlocked, then you could purchase a sim card over there and use the phone with a local company.  Your at&t phone number, however, won't ring your phone in this case.

All this holds true for any GSM phone in any international location.

Message 5 of 6 (1,966 Views)
Master

Currently there is no way to SIM unlock Lumia 900 yet. As suchyou will be stuck with the AT&T SIM and pay $$$ roaming charges on everything (voice, text and data). The phone itself does support all the frequency bands required for most countries in the world.

You can check AT&T site for roaming rate for the countries you visit. Typically it will be over $1 or 2 per minute for voice calls. Over $1 for text and don't even ask for data roaming charge (it will be realllllly expensive).

Message 6 of 6 (1,958 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support