Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 8, 2011
4:39:15 PM
View profile
Transferring number?

Hello

I'm switching to AT&T and I was wanting to transfer my number from NET10.

It says I can, but it asks about my account number and stuff, so I'm confused about it.

Thanks.

Hello

It says I can, but it asks about my account number and stuff, so I'm confused about it.

Thanks.

Transferring number?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 6:17:41 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:25:20 PM

Craz33me wrote:

Hello

Thanks.

What number did NET10 ask to get from you? If they asked for your at&t account, then that's the classic chicken or egg first problem. I think you may want to contact at&t to transfer your NET10 number to at&t.

Craz33me wrote:

Hello

Thanks.

What number did NET10 ask to get from you? If they asked for your at&t account, then that's the classic chicken or egg first problem. I think you may want to contact at&t to transfer your NET10 number to at&t.

Re: Transferring number?

[ Edited ]
2 of 18 (12,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 6:34:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Not net10. AT&T.

They are asking me for my social and my account number from Net10, but Net10 doesn't have my social and I'm pretty sure I don't have an account number since I have a prepaid account.

Not net10. AT&T.

They are asking me for my social and my account number from Net10, but Net10 doesn't have my social and I'm pretty sure I don't have an account number since I have a prepaid account.

3 of 18 (12,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 6:48:01 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:55:57 PM

Craz33me wrote:

Not net10. AT&T.

If you were concerned about ssn, then you would want to activate a new number with at&t prepaid plan without the need for ssn.

Craz33me wrote:

Not net10. AT&T.

If you were concerned about ssn, then you would want to activate a new number with at&t prepaid plan without the need for ssn.

[ Edited ]
4 of 18 (12,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 6:58:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

Craz33me wrote:

Hello

Thanks.

Hello Craz33me.  You will not like the answer.

But to transfer your NET10 number to AT&T (or to any carrier for that matter, prepaid or postpaid), they will demand an account number, a social security number (last four digits), and a proof of ownership of the account with a month's bill bearing your name (you, the principal account holder).

This is to avoid the possibility of hijacking someone else's number.

Because you are prepaid on NET10, there is no account, no monthly bill, and not even a name of the principal on the 10-digit number.  Only a zip code and an email address, probably.

So, that number cannot be transferred.

It does not matter to AT&T that the account you want to transfer to is also prepaid.  They will demand proof of ownership of the number before they will port the number.

What you were asked for is the standard operating procedure.  Sorry.

Craz33me wrote:

Hello

Thanks.

Hello Craz33me.  You will not like the answer.

But to transfer your NET10 number to AT&T (or to any carrier for that matter, prepaid or postpaid), they will demand an account number, a social security number (last four digits), and a proof of ownership of the account with a month's bill bearing your name (you, the principal account holder).

This is to avoid the possibility of hijacking someone else's number.

Because you are prepaid on NET10, there is no account, no monthly bill, and not even a name of the principal on the 10-digit number.  Only a zip code and an email address, probably.

So, that number cannot be transferred.

It does not matter to AT&T that the account you want to transfer to is also prepaid.  They will demand proof of ownership of the number before they will port the number.

What you were asked for is the standard operating procedure.  Sorry.

5 of 18 (12,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 7:13:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 8, 2011 at 7:17:43 PM

As proof-by-example, here are the T-Mobile requirements for porting a number (AT&T's are similar):

1. Current bill
  2. The phone number you want to port
  3. Your current phone company with account number
  4. Your name as it exactly appears on your bill
  5. Full billing address exactly as it appears on your bill
  6. Social security number (last four digits)
  7. A driver license or valid state-issued photo ID
  8. A valid credit card
  9. Phone number where you can be reached during the transfer process

No kidding.  And this was to port a number to T-Mobile's prepaid.  You may get away from some of these onerous requirements, but not from a need to show an account number (No. 3), a social security number (No. 6), and a sample bill (No. 1).

As proof-by-example, here are the T-Mobile requirements for porting a number (AT&T's are similar):

1. Current bill
  2. The phone number you want to port
  3. Your current phone company with account number
  4. Your name as it exactly appears on your bill
  5. Full billing address exactly as it appears on your bill
  6. Social security number (last four digits)
  7. A driver license or valid state-issued photo ID
  8. A valid credit card
  9. Phone number where you can be reached during the transfer process

No kidding.  And this was to port a number to T-Mobile's prepaid.  You may get away from some of these onerous requirements, but not from a need to show an account number (No. 3), a social security number (No. 6), and a sample bill (No. 1).

[ Edited ]
6 of 18 (12,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 7:44:21 PM
(0)
Master
I needed numbers 2, 3, & 6 and possibly 4 & 5 to port my phone number out of AT&T to Verizon.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
I needed numbers 2, 3, & 6 and possibly 4 & 5 to port my phone number out of AT&T to Verizon.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

7 of 18 (12,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 4:58:05 AM
(0)
Master

You can probably get your account number for the Net 10 account from their customer service department - have you already called and asked them for it?

You can port a number associated with an at&t prepaid account to another carrier by contacting at&t's customer service department and asking them for your account number - you do have one as a prepaid customer - they just don't make it "public" to you. Smiley Wink  I presume it works similarly for porting a phone number associated with prepaid service from another carrier to at&t. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

You can probably get your account number for the Net 10 account from their customer service department - have you already called and asked them for it?

You can port a number associated with an at&t prepaid account to another carrier by contacting at&t's customer service department and asking them for your account number - you do have one as a prepaid customer - they just don't make it "public" to you. Smiley Wink  I presume it works similarly for porting a phone number associated with prepaid service from another carrier to at&t. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

8 of 18 (12,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 6:07:13 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:12:58 AM

hme83. you said: "You can port a number associated with an at&t prepaid account to another carrier by contacting at&t's customer service department and asking them for your account number - you do have one as a prepaid customer - they just don't make it "public" to you."

hme83, no disrespect because of your seniority over here.  But please answer:

1. How do you authenticate your ownership of a prepaid account, whose account is not published,  with no prepaid identity on record?  (Prepaid numbers have no mandatory name, no address, no bills, no social security number -- only email address and zip code.)
  2. What stops me to steal your prepaid number by porting it to another carrier without your knowledge?  Just by having your  account number (even, if it is "private" known only to the carrier but obtainable by talking to Customer Care)?

Again no disrespect, but I would like to know if your post is simply wishful thinking, or based on actual knowledge, so that I can rescue my wife's cherished number (ported from AT&T postpaid, and now under T-Mobile prepaid), when I eventually port her number to Google Voice so that it becomes carrier independent (I should have done the original port to Google Voice not T-Mobile prepaid, but that was my mistake).

Without further evidence, my belief is that prepaid numbers are a dead end, and non-portable.  But, please, hme83 prove me wrong.

hme83. you said: "You can port a number associated with an at&t prepaid account to another carrier by contacting at&t's customer service department and asking them for your account number - you do have one as a prepaid customer - they just don't make it "public" to you."

1. How do you authenticate your ownership of a prepaid account, whose account is not published,  with no prepaid identity on record?  (Prepaid numbers have no mandatory name, no address, no bills, no social security number -- only email address and zip code.)
  2. What stops me to steal your prepaid number by porting it to another carrier without your knowledge?  Just by having your  account number (even, if it is "private" known only to the carrier but obtainable by talking to Customer Care)?

Again no disrespect, but I would like to know if your post is simply wishful thinking, or based on actual knowledge, so that I can rescue my wife's cherished number (ported from AT&T postpaid, and now under T-Mobile prepaid), when I eventually port her number to Google Voice so that it becomes carrier independent (I should have done the original port to Google Voice not T-Mobile prepaid, but that was my mistake).

Without further evidence, my belief is that prepaid numbers are a dead end, and non-portable.  But, please, hme83 prove me wrong.

[ Edited ]
9 of 18 (12,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 8:51:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
But I ported my old US Cellular number to NET 10 and it worked.
I wasn't a real account there either, prepaid is a wonder to me since I'm 16 and can't have a real account.

I guess if I can't change it, I won't though. I'm disappointed about it since I just now remembered my number.

But if that's the case, how come I was able to port my old at&t number to a new at&t phone, without all the info.
I wasn't a real account there either, prepaid is a wonder to me since I'm 16 and can't have a real account.

I guess if I can't change it, I won't though. I'm disappointed about it since I just now remembered my number.

But if that's the case, how come I was able to port my old at&t number to a new at&t phone, without all the info.

10 of 18 (12,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 10:54:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Craz33me wrote:

Hello Craz33me,

In your port, AT&T (the recipient of the port) is the gatekeeper.  They are the ones asking for account information and social security, as they want to authenticate your identity to the number being ported.

I understand your desire.  Maybe it will work, but probably it wont.  hme83 thinks that it will.  My guess is that it will not.  I am ready to be proven wrong, believe me.

Ports only happen between carriers.  You do not port from AT&T to AT&T -- you transfer.  Maybe you mistyped the last sentence.

On your port of the prepaid number from US Cellular to NET10, apparently NET10 was willing to provide you a free pass.  I cannot pre-guess.  But this time AT&T is the gatekeeper, and they are the ones demanding that you show your identity and your claim to the NET10 number before they will start port proceedings.

I wish that you succeed.  Keep us posted as this port of prepaid numbers affects potentially many posters over here.  I know it does to me.

Craz33me wrote:

Hello Craz33me,

In your port, AT&T (the recipient of the port) is the gatekeeper.  They are the ones asking for account information and social security, as they want to authenticate your identity to the number being ported.

I understand your desire.  Maybe it will work, but probably it wont.  hme83 thinks that it will.  My guess is that it will not.  I am ready to be proven wrong, believe me.

Ports only happen between carriers.  You do not port from AT&T to AT&T -- you transfer.  Maybe you mistyped the last sentence.

On your port of the prepaid number from US Cellular to NET10, apparently NET10 was willing to provide you a free pass.  I cannot pre-guess.  But this time AT&T is the gatekeeper, and they are the ones demanding that you show your identity and your claim to the NET10 number before they will start port proceedings.

I wish that you succeed.  Keep us posted as this port of prepaid numbers affects potentially many posters over here.  I know it does to me.

11 of 18 (11,956 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 5:07:26 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by hme83 on Sep 10, 2011 at 5:31:56 AM

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

lol.  You're entitled to "believe" whatever you want to believe. Smiley Wink

Local number portability is federally mandated, and I've seen many customers post here re: how they went about doing so with a prepaid cell phone number.  (No, I've never ported a number myself of any type - I haven't had the need to do so.) But IIRC, T-Mo has been one of the easier ones to obtain the account number from on their TMo to Go accounts - did you ever try to do so?  And as with any other need, it may take multiple attempts at contacting customer service since all representatives don't have the same level of knowledge/information.

Here is some information about WLNP - but take it for what it's worth to you -

http://cellphones.about.com/od/frequentlyaskedquestions/f/numberportability.htm

There is a name associated with my prepaid account at at&t (which I cannot readily modify from OLAM); and every time I contact customer service re: this line of service, my security access code is required in order to speak to someone about the account (or use the IVR for any transaction).  I'd say that's pretty positive identification as to my ownership of the account/authority to port the line of service.  (It also seems like the last couple of times that I've purchased a prepaid device directly from at&t on-line to use as backup/replacement phones, that I also had to provide my SSN # as part of the purchase transaction.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

lol.  You're entitled to "believe" whatever you want to believe. Smiley Wink

Local number portability is federally mandated, and I've seen many customers post here re: how they went about doing so with a prepaid cell phone number.  (No, I've never ported a number myself of any type - I haven't had the need to do so.) But IIRC, T-Mo has been one of the easier ones to obtain the account number from on their TMo to Go accounts - did you ever try to do so?  And as with any other need, it may take multiple attempts at contacting customer service since all representatives don't have the same level of knowledge/information.

Here is some information about WLNP - but take it for what it's worth to you -

http://cellphones.about.com/od/frequentlyaskedquestions/f/numberportability.htm

There is a name associated with my prepaid account at at&t (which I cannot readily modify from OLAM); and every time I contact customer service re: this line of service, my security access code is required in order to speak to someone about the account (or use the IVR for any transaction).  I'd say that's pretty positive identification as to my ownership of the account/authority to port the line of service.  (It also seems like the last couple of times that I've purchased a prepaid device directly from at&t on-line to use as backup/replacement phones, that I also had to provide my SSN # as part of the purchase transaction.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
12 of 18 (11,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 5:40:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 10, 2011 at 5:55:35 AM

Little smileys aside, no one is questioning the federally-mandated Wireless Local Number Portability (WLNP) requirement.  Postpaid folks are charged every month, on the month, for that right.  Prepaid is not last time I checked.

So, not knowing for sure, I asked in the T-mobile forum, and there was one poster who had just started port proceedings to Google Voice.  And he was prepaid as well.  Replaying the exact scenario that I want to use.

This is what he did, successfully, with Google Voice as the gatekeeper:

1. Used his T-Mobile 10-digit number as the prepaid account number
  2. Used his four-digit PIN for authentication of his T-Mobile account in the Google Voice form
  3. Used the name, address, email, and home phone number of his T-Mobile personal information

And it worked, exactly 24 hours later.

So, yes, prepaid number can be ported if the receiving carrier, acting as gatekeeper, allows.  And I was proven wrong.  So I stand corrected, and there you have it.  Peace.

Little smileys aside, no one is questioning the federally-mandated Wireless Local Number Portability (WLNP) requirement.  Postpaid folks are charged every month, on the month, for that right.  Prepaid is not last time I checked.

So, not knowing for sure, I asked in the T-mobile forum, and there was one poster who had just started port proceedings to Google Voice.  And he was prepaid as well.  Replaying the exact scenario that I want to use.

This is what he did, successfully, with Google Voice as the gatekeeper:

1. Used his T-Mobile 10-digit number as the prepaid account number
  2. Used his four-digit PIN for authentication of his T-Mobile account in the Google Voice form
  3. Used the name, address, email, and home phone number of his T-Mobile personal information

And it worked, exactly 24 hours later.

So, yes, prepaid number can be ported if the receiving carrier, acting as gatekeeper, allows.  And I was proven wrong.  So I stand corrected, and there you have it.  Peace.

[ Edited ]
13 of 18 (11,924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 5:57:06 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by hme83 on Sep 10, 2011 at 6:09:37 AM

Glad to hear that you have discovered you can port your wife's number to Google Voice. Smiley Happy

Based on the search I did out here for "port prepaid number", it seemed most prepaid providers use the telephone number as the account number - so providing the telephone number you wish to port plus the security verification code associated with the account is generally what is needed.  But the receiving carrier's port department should also be able to tell you exactly what they require in order to accept the line of service associated with a prepaid account.

{As an aside - based on the * footnote reference in the at&t prepaid E-911 fees documentation, I would presume that WLNP fees (where mandated by the state) are included in the E-911 fee assessment.  So yes, prepaid customers likely do pay them - they just aren't transparent. 

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/gophoneE911.jsp   }

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Glad to hear that you have discovered you can port your wife's number to Google Voice. Smiley Happy

Based on the search I did out here for "port prepaid number", it seemed most prepaid providers use the telephone number as the account number - so providing the telephone number you wish to port plus the security verification code associated with the account is generally what is needed.  But the receiving carrier's port department should also be able to tell you exactly what they require in order to accept the line of service associated with a prepaid account.

{As an aside - based on the * footnote reference in the at&t prepaid E-911 fees documentation, I would presume that WLNP fees (where mandated by the state) are included in the E-911 fee assessment.  So yes, prepaid customers likely do pay them - they just aren't transparent. 

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/gophoneE911.jsp   }

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
14 of 18 (11,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 6:28:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 10, 2011 at 6:30:18 AM

Just to add closure, and just as a footnote on carrier cost recovery fees on prepaid, hme83.  And, nothing to do about original question on prepaid accounts and porting proceedings.

It just happens that I have lucked out, as I am not charged E911 fees on my AT&T prepaid account.  Why?

There appears to be two different types of E911 surcharge as indicated in the document:  (1) monthly, or (2) at the point of sale.  Because I am based in DC, my E911 surcharge, if/when applied, would be type (2), at the point of sale.

But because I buy refills from http://www.callingmart.com through their web site, I am not charged taxes and/or E911 fees at the point of sale.  Do not know if E911 rolls-up the WLNP recovery fee.  But I do not pay either.

Just to add closure, and just as a footnote on carrier cost recovery fees on prepaid, hme83.  And, nothing to do about original question on prepaid accounts and porting proceedings.

It just happens that I have lucked out, as I am not charged E911 fees on my AT&T prepaid account.  Why?

There appears to be two different types of E911 surcharge as indicated in the document:  (1) monthly, or (2) at the point of sale.  Because I am based in DC, my E911 surcharge, if/when applied, would be type (2), at the point of sale.

But because I buy refills from http://www.callingmart.com through their web site, I am not charged taxes and/or E911 fees at the point of sale.  Do not know if E911 rolls-up the WLNP recovery fee.  But I do not pay either.

[ Edited ]
15 of 18 (11,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 5:52:49 PM
(0)
Master
Certainly nothing wrong with using the discounted websites that don't collect/remit sales/use tax in making your refill purchases. I trust you know the ramifications and understand the taxability of the sale of wireless services in your local area, alternate methods of reporting/paying (if necessary), and/or you've evaluated the risk of not doing so.

But you're right - we're off on a tangent; and a more accurate statement on my part would have been that I presume many prepaid users may be paying WLNP fees embedded within their "E-911" fee.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

Certainly nothing wrong with using the discounted websites that don't collect/remit sales/use tax in making your refill purchases. I trust you know the ramifications and understand the taxability of the sale of wireless services in your local area, alternate methods of reporting/paying (if necessary), and/or you've evaluated the risk of not doing so.

But you're right - we're off on a tangent; and a more accurate statement on my part would have been that I presume many prepaid users may be paying WLNP fees embedded within their "E-911" fee.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

16 of 18 (11,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 11:28:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm just gonna get a new number...

I'm just gonna get a new number...

17 of 18 (11,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 1:34:38 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hi Craz33me, 

It looks like our community has given you a lot of great advice about porting your number. If you'd like to speak to someone from AT&T about your options, I can definitely set that up for you. 

If you'd like to speak with someone, please send me a private message with a summary of your question/concern, your name, phone number and the best time to contact you. 

I'll ask our team to contact you directly to make sure you're aware of all your options as well as what to expect if you decide to port your number. 

Thanks, 

~jam 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hi Craz33me, 

It looks like our community has given you a lot of great advice about porting your number. If you'd like to speak to someone from AT&T about your options, I can definitely set that up for you. 

If you'd like to speak with someone, please send me a private message with a summary of your question/concern, your name, phone number and the best time to contact you. 

I'll ask our team to contact you directly to make sure you're aware of all your options as well as what to expect if you decide to port your number. 

Thanks, 

~jam 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

18 of 18 (11,868 Views)