Transferring iPhone contract to another phone?

Contributor

Transferring iPhone contract to another phone?

I was just wondering about the 2-year contract for the iphone 4. I know that if we buy an iphone 4, we need to sign a contract with at&t for two years. Is it possible to transfer this contract to my blackberry and possibly use the iphone 4 with another plan or in another country? 

Message 1 of 3 (1,206 Views)
Master

Re: Transferring iPhone contract to another phone?

Patawut wrote:

I was just wondering about the 2-year contract for the iphone 4. I know that if we buy an iphone 4, we need to sign a contract with at&t for two years. Is it possible to transfer this contract to my blackberry and possibly use the iphone 4 with another plan or in another country? 

Your contract is for voice service.  You can use any phone you would like.  You can also change your data plan to reflect the phone that you are going to be using.  You can also use your iPHone on another account and since you are bringing that phone to the account, you would not need to commit to another two years.  You do need to keep your original account in good standing otherwise they will charge you the early termination fee.  

As for using in a differenet country, that is going to be difficult as the iPhones are locked to ATT and they nor Apple will provide you with a way to unlock it so you can use a SIM from a different carrier. You can use an ATT SIM and roam in a different country without any problems but the roaming fees can be high.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 3 (1,191 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Transferring iPhone contract to another phone?

[ Edited ]

youngjm wrote:

Patawut wrote:

Your contract is for voice service.  You can use any phone you would like.  You can also change your data plan to reflect the phone that you are going to be using.  You can also use your iPHone on another account and since you are bringing that phone to the account, you would not need to commit to another two years.  You do need to keep your original account in good standing otherwise they will charge you the early termination fee.  

As for using in a differenet country, that is going to be difficult as the iPhones are locked to ATT and they nor Apple will provide you with a way to unlock it so you can use a SIM from a different carrier. You can use an ATT SIM and roam in a different country without any problems but the roaming fees can be high.

Although you can purchase a unlocked GSM Iphone directly from apple at full retail price. 649.00 for the 16GB, 749.00 for the 32GB. If you get a subsidized Iphone from ATT is it locked to their network and will not be unlocked as younghm mentioned

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC603LL/A

Message 3 of 3 (1,182 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.