Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 15, 2012
7:35:56 AM
View profile
Transferring app data from one iPhone to another

I recently uprgraded from an iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4s. I had an app on the 3g that I used for tracking mileage and expenses for business use. After syncing the 3g and then syncing the 4s, I noticed that the data contained in the app did not transfer to my new phone. Is there a way to do this? It would really be a pain to transfer a years worth of data by hand.

I recently uprgraded from an iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4s. I had an app on the 3g that I used for tracking mileage and expenses for business use. After syncing the 3g and then syncing the 4s, I noticed that the data contained in the app did not transfer to my new phone. Is there a way to do this? It would really be a pain to transfer a years worth of data by hand.

Transferring app data from one iPhone to another

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2012 9:12:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Backup the old iPhone, then use that backup to restore onto the new iPhone.

Keep in mind that some people claim that this backup/restore across different devices might be the cause of the hardware issues many people see when they get a new iPhone (sensors, battery life, etc.).  I have no proof of that, but it has been claimed.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Backup the old iPhone, then use that backup to restore onto the new iPhone.

Keep in mind that some people claim that this backup/restore across different devices might be the cause of the hardware issues many people see when they get a new iPhone (sensors, battery life, etc.).  I have no proof of that, but it has been claimed.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Transferring app data from one iPhone to another

2 of 8 (4,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2012 1:51:42 PM
(0)
Guru

I don't think backups save stored app data. This is what iTunes support says about backups:

"App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder)"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

I don't think backups save stored app data. This is what iTunes support says about backups:

"App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder)"

3 of 8 (4,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 8:24:38 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Jan 16, 2012 at 8:28:24 AM

brainwaver wrote:

It may depend on the specific app itself (e.g., document files generated via the app and are otherwise synced to your computer through a third-party app may need to be restored back to your phone in the same manner), but generally speaking, backups can and do contain app data; taken from the link you provided, iOS backups contain the following info, among other stuff:

--App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).  Obviously the backup would not contain the app itself since that is (or, can be) restored if/when you select the App itself in the iTunes app list.

--Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.

If "saved app data" doesn't fall under this category, then can you please explain to me exactly what kind of data are we talking about here when Apple says "Application settings, preferences, and data"?  I mean, is "saved app data" (the phrase you used) not the same as "Application data", as far as backups go?

I think OP was referring to scenarios such as game progress--imagine if, after spending a lot of time and/or effort you completed 9 out of 10 levels in some game and that progress wasn't saved/included in your backups; you can't tell me that you wouldn't be a bit miffed that you now would have to start all over again.  I'm sure Apple and/or the app designer realizes that too, hence the iOS and/or app code is such that the user-generated app data gets saved to backup whenever the phone is synced.  Not unless you have some kind of logic that would explain how/why it would make sense for iTunes to back up say, data from the built-in Notes app (which it does)...but yet not back up third-party app data.

brainwaver wrote:

It may depend on the specific app itself (e.g., document files generated via the app and are otherwise synced to your computer through a third-party app may need to be restored back to your phone in the same manner), but generally speaking, backups can and do contain app data; taken from the link you provided, iOS backups contain the following info, among other stuff:

--App Store Application data including in-app purchases (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).  Obviously the backup would not contain the app itself since that is (or, can be) restored if/when you select the App itself in the iTunes app list.

--Application settings, preferences, and data, including documents.

If "saved app data" doesn't fall under this category, then can you please explain to me exactly what kind of data are we talking about here when Apple says "Application settings, preferences, and data"?  I mean, is "saved app data" (the phrase you used) not the same as "Application data", as far as backups go?

I think OP was referring to scenarios such as game progress--imagine if, after spending a lot of time and/or effort you completed 9 out of 10 levels in some game and that progress wasn't saved/included in your backups; you can't tell me that you wouldn't be a bit miffed that you now would have to start all over again.  I'm sure Apple and/or the app designer realizes that too, hence the iOS and/or app code is such that the user-generated app data gets saved to backup whenever the phone is synced.  Not unless you have some kind of logic that would explain how/why it would make sense for iTunes to back up say, data from the built-in Notes app (which it does)...but yet not back up third-party app data.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 5:27:01 PM
(0)
Master
I have backed up data then restored it to a new iPHone many times. Most apps have the critical components in the backup. I.e. Angry Birds Achievements are not lost!!!!!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
I have backed up data then restored it to a new iPHone many times. Most apps have the critical components in the backup. I.e. Angry Birds Achievements are not lost!!!!!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 8 (4,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 5:41:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks guys, I will try to do the "restore". When I did the original switch, I backed up the old phone, but did not restore the new phone. If this is what you are suggesting, let me know. Thanks

Thanks guys, I will try to do the "restore". When I did the original switch, I backed up the old phone, but did not restore the new phone. If this is what you are suggesting, let me know. Thanks

6 of 8 (4,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 6:35:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

lt622fd69 wrote:

That is what I suggested.  Restore the backup of the orginal iPhone onto the new one.  When I upgraded from my iPhone 3G to my iPhone 4, I did just that...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

lt622fd69 wrote:

That is what I suggested.  Restore the backup of the orginal iPhone onto the new one.  When I upgraded from my iPhone 3G to my iPhone 4, I did just that...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (4,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 7:08:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks. I will do that right now.

Thanks. I will do that right now.

8 of 8 (4,521 Views)