Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 6, 2011
7:24:45 PM
View profile
Transferring SIM card to iPhone?

There is a spare iPhone in my family (very first generation), and I would like to use it. The problem is, I cannot afford the extra amount that comes with an iPhone subscription.

I only want to be able to make phone calls and use text messaging, which is currently all I can do on my plan. If I insert the SIM card from my LG Neon, will my plan stay the same? Or would internet services and such be applied to my plan? I have swapped SIM cards between phones before and my it has always worked, I was just wondering if it would be the same with an iPhone.

Thanks!

There is a spare iPhone in my family (very first generation), and I would like to use it. The problem is, I cannot afford the extra amount that comes with an iPhone subscription.

I only want to be able to make phone calls and use text messaging, which is currently all I can do on my plan. If I insert the SIM card from my LG Neon, will my plan stay the same? Or would internet services and such be applied to my plan? I have swapped SIM cards between phones before and my it has always worked, I was just wondering if it would be the same with an iPhone.

Thanks!

Transferring SIM card to iPhone?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 7:31:28 PM
(0)
Professor

All iPhones require a data plan.

You can either add the data plan yourself or AT&T will add it for you when they detect the iPhone in use on your account.

If you cannot afford the data plan, you should stick to your current "dumb" phone.

All iPhones require a data plan.

You can either add the data plan yourself or AT&T will add it for you when they detect the iPhone in use on your account.

If you cannot afford the data plan, you should stick to your current "dumb" phone.

Re: Transferring SIM card to iPhone?

2 of 5 (917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 4:09:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

You can put your sim in and use it as a phone and text, data will not work unless on WIFI.  I did this for my wife for 6 months before adding a data plan

You can put your sim in and use it as a phone and text, data will not work unless on WIFI.  I did this for my wife for 6 months before adding a data plan

3 of 5 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 5:30:16 AM
(0)
Expert

dmoran8931 wrote:

On the iphone they are now pretty quick, chances are they will not go 1 week before they get the text message that a data plan was automagicly added

dmoran8931 wrote:

On the iphone they are now pretty quick, chances are they will not go 1 week before they get the text message that a data plan was automagicly added

4 of 5 (845 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 11:43:11 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:46:10 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

dmoran8931 wrote:

I think that's immediate these days. The moment you place your chip in the 2G iPhone, you would be automagically added after registering your SIM Card to the device's IMEI. Though you might get a "No Service" error message instead since you haven't registered.

* If you obtain a 3G to i4 device, the 2G chip probably wouldn't work on it as it requires a 3G chip. Some have placed a PrePaid and I believe they may have been successful.

wingrider01 wrote:

dmoran8931 wrote:

I think that's immediate these days. The moment you place your chip in the 2G iPhone, you would be automagically added after registering your SIM Card to the device's IMEI. Though you might get a "No Service" error message instead since you haven't registered.

* If you obtain a 3G to i4 device, the 2G chip probably wouldn't work on it as it requires a 3G chip. Some have placed a PrePaid and I believe they may have been successful.

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (814 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments