Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 7, 2011
10:32:35 PM
View profile
Transfer photos etc from Inspire to pc

I apologize in advance - I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't see any threads about it right away.. There's no mention of it in the manual, which is kinda strange. Anyway, how dyadithis - with the usb cable - not taking the sd card out?

I apologize in advance - I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I don't see any threads about it right away.. There's no mention of it in the manual, which is kinda strange. Anyway, how dyadithis - with the usb cable - not taking the sd card out?

Transfer photos etc from Inspire to pc

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 11:02:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

OK, another part of the AT&T site says you can hook the usb cable up and the phone should show up on the pc as a drive - I haven't got that to work yet. Another area says you can download HTCSync - which is a mystery to find - the Inspire's not listed on the HTC site for this, and there's a buncha other sites that say they have it, but I don't wanna take a chance on those.

OK, another part of the AT&T site says you can hook the usb cable up and the phone should show up on the pc as a drive - I haven't got that to work yet. Another area says you can download HTCSync - which is a mystery to find - the Inspire's not listed on the HTC site for this, and there's a buncha other sites that say they have it, but I don't wanna take a chance on those.

Re: Transfer photos etc from Inspire to pc

2 of 16 (11,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 6:19:33 PM
(0)
Professor

Go to Menu>Settings>Connect to PC and make sure "Ask me" is checked. Now, when you connect to the PC with the USB cable, you should get a prompt asking connection type. Just choose disk drive and then you will be able to read the SD card from the PC. If it doesn't work, then you don't have the proper USB drivers installed. You can install HTC Sync or just the drivers. They can be had in the links below. The USB drivers only are in the second link, last on the list.

http://www.htc.com/us/support/inspire-att/downloads/

http://htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads

Go to Menu>Settings>Connect to PC and make sure "Ask me" is checked. Now, when you connect to the PC with the USB cable, you should get a prompt asking connection type. Just choose disk drive and then you will be able to read the SD card from the PC. If it doesn't work, then you don't have the proper USB drivers installed. You can install HTC Sync or just the drivers. They can be had in the links below. The USB drivers only are in the second link, last on the list.

http://www.htc.com/us/support/inspire-att/downloads/

http://htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads

3 of 16 (11,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 10:27:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hey thanks sitnsidewaz!

I hooked up the usb cable and choices on the phone popped up. I picked show as disk drive - but it never showed up on the pc.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. How is HTC Sync different from "the drivers"? The second link shows a page full of driver downloads. I'm not sure which one I need. Would this be a driver to have it show up as a drive on the pc?

Hey thanks sitnsidewaz!

I hooked up the usb cable and choices on the phone popped up. I picked show as disk drive - but it never showed up on the pc.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. How is HTC Sync different from "the drivers"? The second link shows a page full of driver downloads. I'm not sure which one I need. Would this be a driver to have it show up as a drive on the pc?

4 of 16 (11,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 7:12:59 AM
(0)
Professor

12Chris34 wrote:

Hey thanks sitnsidewaz!

HTC Sync is a program that allows you to sync various media types to and from the PC. I don't use it myself. If you are on Windows, you should be able to open my computer and see the phone as a drive there, typically F drive, but it could be different. If you don't, then it is possible it is a driver issue. The second link link actually shows a long list of kernels for developers, the very last item on the list is the driver package. Download it to your desktop, connect the phone to your PC, open control panel and launch Add Hardware. If it detects your phone and wants the drivers, direct it to the download on the desktop. If none of this works, then you may have other issues with either the PC or SD card.

12Chris34 wrote:

Hey thanks sitnsidewaz!

HTC Sync is a program that allows you to sync various media types to and from the PC. I don't use it myself. If you are on Windows, you should be able to open my computer and see the phone as a drive there, typically F drive, but it could be different. If you don't, then it is possible it is a driver issue. The second link link actually shows a long list of kernels for developers, the very last item on the list is the driver package. Download it to your desktop, connect the phone to your PC, open control panel and launch Add Hardware. If it detects your phone and wants the drivers, direct it to the download on the desktop. If none of this works, then you may have other issues with either the PC or SD card.

5 of 16 (11,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:18:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
There is a driver included with the sync program that your computers needs to see the phone. So in short you need to install sync to get that driver.
There is a driver included with the sync program that your computers needs to see the phone. So in short you need to install sync to get that driver.

6 of 16 (11,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:29:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks again. The driver for pc has two folders - ADB_fastboot and RNDIS. They both look like they contain other folders with what I guess are different drivers for Vista and Win7 x64, 86, and XP 86. At this point, I don't have a clue about what to do.

Thanks again. The driver for pc has two folders - ADB_fastboot and RNDIS. They both look like they contain other folders with what I guess are different drivers for Vista and Win7 x64, 86, and XP 86. At this point, I don't have a clue about what to do.

7 of 16 (11,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:52:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
There shouldn't be anything to do, once you installed sync, it installed the drive. Are you saying you installed sync and still can't get the phone to be seen by the computer?

There shouldn't be anything to do, once you installed sync, it installed the drive. Are you saying you installed sync and still can't get the phone to be seen by the computer?

8 of 16 (11,765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:41:58 AM
(0)
Professor

12Chris34 wrote:

It doesn't sound like you know your way around computers on a more technical basis. I would just do as Mr. Steve suggested, install Sync. Sync installs the program and the drivers separately. If you don't want the program, you can always go to add remove programs and un-install it, while still leaving the drivers installed.

12Chris34 wrote:

It doesn't sound like you know your way around computers on a more technical basis. I would just do as Mr. Steve suggested, install Sync. Sync installs the program and the drivers separately. If you don't want the program, you can always go to add remove programs and un-install it, while still leaving the drivers installed.

9 of 16 (11,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 1:58:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

This is getting to be a real hassle. What's worse is that I haven't been able to receive a single call. I see voicemails when I had no clue the call was coming in. I do have ringer tone all the way up. The sound issue is worse still. Really too bad. Otherwise it's an awesome...wondering if I should still call it a phone.

Just as I'm writing this, got it to work. I'm interested in getting the photos right now. I see two folders in the dcim folder, .thumbnails with 15 photos, and 100MEDIA WITH 10 photos - all of which are in the .thumbnails folder as well. What's the deal here?

This is getting to be a real hassle. What's worse is that I haven't been able to receive a single call. I see voicemails when I had no clue the call was coming in. I do have ringer tone all the way up. The sound issue is worse still. Really too bad. Otherwise it's an awesome...wondering if I should still call it a phone.

Just as I'm writing this, got it to work. I'm interested in getting the photos right now. I see two folders in the dcim folder, .thumbnails with 15 photos, and 100MEDIA WITH 10 photos - all of which are in the .thumbnails folder as well. What's the deal here?

10 of 16 (11,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 5:58:40 PM
(0)
Professor
.thumbnails is the location of the thumbnails for all the media on your sd card. Google thumbnails and you will understand. 100MEDIA is the location of the pics you took with your camera. I laughed when you said you only have ten. That is what you are working so hard for? Really, it is not that complicated to move some pics to a PC. I could move those ten pics in two minutes.
.thumbnails is the location of the thumbnails for all the media on your sd card. Google thumbnails and you will understand. 100MEDIA is the location of the pics you took with your camera. I laughed when you said you only have ten. That is what you are working so hard for? Really, it is not that complicated to move some pics to a PC. I could move those ten pics in two minutes.

11 of 16 (11,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 6:01:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

12Chris34 wrote:

The thumbnails are just the tiny preview pictures you see when you open the Gallery application, before you click and view the actual photo.  You can completely ignore that folder.  The photos are very small and low resolution.  It doesn't even matter if you delete the contents of that folder.  Android will just re-populate it.

12Chris34 wrote:

The thumbnails are just the tiny preview pictures you see when you open the Gallery application, before you click and view the actual photo.  You can completely ignore that folder.  The photos are very small and low resolution.  It doesn't even matter if you delete the contents of that folder.  Android will just re-populate it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 16 (11,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 1:15:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

12Chris34 wrote:

Have you tried using a different AT&T phone at this location (your home?) before, and had okay reception?  Can you make outgoing calls okay?  Can you tell if the calls are coming into your phone, or going straight to voicemail?  When there is an incoming call the screen changes to tell you that, and shows a picture of the person calling (if in your contacts) and a on-screen button to answer.  Ask somebody to call you, to test it.  If the screen comes up, but no ringtone or vibration, maybe your notification settings are not set right.  But if that screen never comes up, and its consistant, there is likely a reception issue.  Possibly caused by your local cell tower, but alsomaybe there is a hardware problem with your phone.  If you are worried that is the case, try taking your phone to an AT&T store, and have them swap your SIM card to another Inspire and see if that helps.

12Chris34 wrote:

Have you tried using a different AT&T phone at this location (your home?) before, and had okay reception?  Can you make outgoing calls okay?  Can you tell if the calls are coming into your phone, or going straight to voicemail?  When there is an incoming call the screen changes to tell you that, and shows a picture of the person calling (if in your contacts) and a on-screen button to answer.  Ask somebody to call you, to test it.  If the screen comes up, but no ringtone or vibration, maybe your notification settings are not set right.  But if that screen never comes up, and its consistant, there is likely a reception issue.  Possibly caused by your local cell tower, but alsomaybe there is a hardware problem with your phone.  If you are worried that is the case, try taking your phone to an AT&T store, and have them swap your SIM card to another Inspire and see if that helps.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 16 (11,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 1:31:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

What are you doing here if you think you have to ridicule people. Do you think that's helpful? I think you may indeed be sitnsidewayz.

What are you doing here if you think you have to ridicule people. Do you think that's helpful? I think you may indeed be sitnsidewayz.

14 of 16 (11,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 6:48:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

12Chris34 wrote:

I assume you are referring to the most recent post by sitnsidewayz on this thread.  He just said "It doesn't sound like you know your way around computers on a more technical basis."  I don't read that as being insulting. He didn't say you are stupid or that you don't know anything.  But it doesn't sound from your posts that you have expert knowledge of computers or smartphones, either.

His post is probably also in direct response to your post which referred to the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and fastboot files.  These tools are only for the nerdiest of Android geeks, and don't need to be messed with by 98% of Android phone owners.  You don't need to touch those folders, and I think that was his point

sitnsidewayz has spend a good deal of time trying to help you on this thread, as well as others.  So you should reconsider lashing out at him.

12Chris34 wrote:

I assume you are referring to the most recent post by sitnsidewayz on this thread.  He just said "It doesn't sound like you know your way around computers on a more technical basis."  I don't read that as being insulting. He didn't say you are stupid or that you don't know anything.  But it doesn't sound from your posts that you have expert knowledge of computers or smartphones, either.

His post is probably also in direct response to your post which referred to the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and fastboot files.  These tools are only for the nerdiest of Android geeks, and don't need to be messed with by 98% of Android phone owners.  You don't need to touch those folders, and I think that was his point

sitnsidewayz has spend a good deal of time trying to help you on this thread, as well as others.  So you should reconsider lashing out at him.

15 of 16 (11,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 12:25:59 PM
(0)
Guru

12Chris34- You might be surprised how much you can learn by reading manuals. On one of your many posts, I suggested downloading the 326 page Palm Centro manual, when you had questions about that. You can also download a manual on the HTC  Status...you had posts & questions about that.

Concerning the Inspire- You can also download that 206 page manual, in very short order- then read:

Getting Started, about pages 21 & 22 ...Connecting your phone to a PC

Accounts & Sync- starting at page 75

More Apps- starting at about page 172

"If all else fails, read the manual(s).

12Chris34- You might be surprised how much you can learn by reading manuals. On one of your many posts, I suggested downloading the 326 page Palm Centro manual, when you had questions about that. You can also download a manual on the HTC  Status...you had posts & questions about that.

Concerning the Inspire- You can also download that 206 page manual, in very short order- then read:

Getting Started, about pages 21 & 22 ...Connecting your phone to a PC

Accounts & Sync- starting at page 75

More Apps- starting at about page 172

"If all else fails, read the manual(s).

16 of 16 (11,491 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments