Transfer iphone unlimited data plan to ipad 3?

Contributor

Transfer iphone unlimited data plan to ipad 3?

We have two iphone 4s on the family plan and both have grandfathered unlimited data.

1. Can we sign up the ipad 3 and transfer one of our unlimited data plans to it and switch one phone to a limited data plan so we end up with one phone and the ipad on the grandfathered unlimited data plan?

thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5 (3,054 Views)

Re: Transfer iphone unlimited data plan to ipad 3?

I'm not an AT&T person but I really don't think this is possible.  iPhone plans and iPad plans are two different things entirely and not transferable.  

Message 2 of 5 (3,034 Views)
Contributor

So looks like I should just get an ipad only plan with Verizon so I can maximize my coverage with the two carriers and the three data accounts since I can't save any money with AT&T.

I wonder if I can drop one iphone data plan without penalty from AT&T. Wil check that out.

Thanks for the reply!

Message 3 of 5 (2,966 Views)

You absolutely CANNOT do this. The iPhones and iPads are different classes of plans.

And the only way you can "transfer" a plan in this way is if the phone number goes with it. You can't play 3-card monty with data plans and lines. The unlimited grandfathering is attached to a line of service. You can upgrade the phone on that line, and keep the data plan (at least until AT&T says you can't). You couldn't add a smartphone for another family member and give that person the unlimited data unless your phone # went with it.

Message 4 of 5 (2,939 Views)
Professor

The only way you can drop a data plan is by not using the iPhone and switching to a feature phone. All smartphones are required to have a data plan, no exceptions.
Message 5 of 5 (2,762 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.