Transfer files to new phone

Contributor

Transfer files to new phone

I am replacing a malfunctioning Captivate with a new Captivate.  Is there a way to transfer all apps, data, and configurations to the new phone?  Apple made this functionality extremely easy when replacing an iPhone.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7 (695 Views)

Re: Transfer files to new phone

root using superoneclick (xda-developers.com) then use titanium backup to the micro sd, not the internal. rinse and repeat on the new captivate. use titanium free unless you need hypershell. Unroot using superoneclick before returning.
Message 2 of 7 (673 Views)
Contributor

Thank you for the response.  I'll look into it, it would be nice if you didn't have to root a phone to be able to use it. 

Why can't AT&T develop an app that will do this?  Are you listening AT&T?  

Message 3 of 7 (663 Views)
Master

Depending on how the Captivate is setup (that is if AT&T didn't remove that they did on the HTC Aria), you should have a backup your data option under the privacy settings. When you sign in to the same google account on the new phone, it should re-download your applications onto the new phone. Your personal data attached to the applications won't come with.

Text message: there are applications in the market that will save to the sd card. When you re-load the same application and run it, you can restore the text message conversations. Sms backup & restore

You can also use a file explorer application to backup your applications to the sd card. You can reinstall from here but I prefer to use the market. Astro or Estrongs

I have also used Estrongs bookmark manager to backup my Internet bookmarks. I haven't figured out how to restore them to the default browser, but in the end if I needed a specific bookmark I would just open the bookmark manager select it that way.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 7 (655 Views)

i believe sms back up and restore requires root. the entire point is a one step solution. and that is titanium back up Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 7 (643 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]
The SMS backup that I use doesn't need root!
http://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

The OP didn't want to root the phone. I was giving them an alternative solution that may require more steps, but works just as well. Besides I don't like restoring everything all at once especially if there is a possibility that an application was causing the problem. You could be automatically recreating the problem on the new device and then you are back to where you were with the problem phone.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7 (641 Views)
Highlighted

generally it will default to save data back up ie, wifi settings, background, apps with user data
Message 7 of 7 (635 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.