Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 18, 2012
11:12:37 AM
View profile
Transfer Unlimited Data Plan From iPhone 4S to new iPad (Inconsistent Information from ATT)
Edited by kenn213 on Mar 18, 2012 at 11:41:23 AM

Hello,

I've got one of the Unlimited data plans that ATT no longer offers on my iPhone. I just bought a new iPad and I figured it would be easy enough to transfer my Unlimited data plan to my iPad, as I have done from device to device previously. I contacted ATT chat support: (names redacted)

ME: I currently have an Unlimited data plan associated with my iPhone 4S, and I would like to
transfer this plan to my new iPad.
ATT: Because you have a smart phone, you will need to carry a data plan on your device.
ME: I'd be happy to sign up for a new plan on my iPhone.
ATT: Thank you for your patience as I gather some information for you.
ME: No problem.
ATT: Thank you for your patience, I am reviewing and I see there is a way to transfer the
unlimited data to your iPad.
ME: Great.
ATT: After further reviewing I see that I am not able to add the unlimited data to your iPad, You
would have to contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500, Mon-Fri 7am-10pm, Sat-Sun 9am-7pm. They have
certain codes they will need to enter for you.
ME: Okay thanks. At least I know it's possible.

After calling the number provided, I was told by the representative that there was no way to do this. I'd like some clarification as to whether anyone has been able to transfer an Unlimited data plan from an iPhone to an iPad. It seems pretty rediculous if it isn't possible, since the plans currently offered are the same for both iPhone and iPad. I've also been a loyal ATT customer since the days of Cingular Wireless.

Thanks,

-Kennedy

Hello,

I've got one of the Unlimited data plans that ATT no longer offers on my iPhone. I just bought a new iPad and I figured it would be easy enough to transfer my Unlimited data plan to my iPad, as I have done from device to device previously. I contacted ATT chat support: (names redacted)

ME: I currently have an Unlimited data plan associated with my iPhone 4S, and I would like to
transfer this plan to my new iPad.
ATT: Because you have a smart phone, you will need to carry a data plan on your device.
ME: I'd be happy to sign up for a new plan on my iPhone.
ATT: Thank you for your patience as I gather some information for you.
ME: No problem.
ATT: Thank you for your patience, I am reviewing and I see there is a way to transfer the
unlimited data to your iPad.
ME: Great.
ATT: After further reviewing I see that I am not able to add the unlimited data to your iPad, You
would have to contact Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500, Mon-Fri 7am-10pm, Sat-Sun 9am-7pm. They have
certain codes they will need to enter for you.
ME: Okay thanks. At least I know it's possible.

After calling the number provided, I was told by the representative that there was no way to do this. I'd like some clarification as to whether anyone has been able to transfer an Unlimited data plan from an iPhone to an iPad. It seems pretty rediculous if it isn't possible, since the plans currently offered are the same for both iPhone and iPad. I've also been a loyal ATT customer since the days of Cingular Wireless.

Thanks,

-Kennedy

Transfer Unlimited Data Plan From iPhone 4S to new iPad (Inconsistent Information from ATT)

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2012 7:32:29 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by youngjm on Mar 18, 2012 at 7:34:59 PM

Have not heard that this was possible. Only the original iPad had an unlimied data plan and you would have had to keep it active to transfer it to a new iPad. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/ipad-owners-with-original-unlimited-data-plan-get-unlimited-unth... Smartphone data plans are not interchangeable with iPads.

The second rep was right. The first one made a mistake.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Have not heard that this was possible. Only the original iPad had an unlimied data plan and you would have had to keep it active to transfer it to a new iPad. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/ipad-owners-with-original-unlimited-data-plan-get-unlimited-unthrottled-4g/ Smartphone data plans are not interchangeable with iPads.

The second rep was right. The first one made a mistake.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Transfer Unlimited Data Plan From iPhone 4S to new iPad (Inconsistent Information from ATT)

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (4,923 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2012 9:00:29 AM
(0)
Guru

iPhones & iPads are two different classes of plans, and as such cannot be swapped back & forth. 

iPhones & iPads are two different classes of plans, and as such cannot be swapped back & forth. 

Re: Transfer Unlimited Data Plan From iPhone 4S to new iPad (Inconsistent Information from ATT)

3 of 3 (4,883 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments