Ask a question

Posted Feb 10, 2010
    4:49:05 PM
    View profile
    Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

I have a 1400 minute a month family plan for three lines with unlimited texting. None of us "intentionally" use Media Net. But for the last couple of months, one or two of our lines has been charged $2 for a couple of kB of data "usage." I've called ATT and they've taken the charges off but they now tell me they won't necessarily do this the next time I call in. I have accidentally hit the Media Net key on my LG  CF 360 a time or two and have tried to cancel it as quickly as possible--I've seen the blue and white ATT earth spinning for a fraction of a second or two.

This is exasperating because ATT knows that it is impossible to map the media net key to a different location on my LG (it is the center of the toggle) and it is easy to accidentally hit. All they offer is the ability to totally block date which would then also block my ability to send photos via my unlimited texting.

Anyone else have this particular problem? Any suggestions? 

86 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (86)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 17, 2011 2:27:47 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

data plan: yeah, the funny thing (not too funny if you have called them a few times already) is that they offer this as a solution and act like it's free. It's ONLY $10! they must be kidding me....

to be continued......

Re: Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

61 of 87 (1,115 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2011 9:42:23 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I just got off the phone with ATT because, once again,  we had $4 data charges for accidental sign-ons on 2 of our 4 phones.  I was told that since I have called and received credits the past three months that this will be the last month they will credit my account for these charges. From now on I will have to pay the charges or block the feature and then not be able to use the "free" picture messaging feature which they used as a selling point when we initially purchased the plan. My contract is not up until next March. I am not a happy customer right now!

62 of 87 (1,074 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 3, 2011 5:19:58 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

They've given me that song and dance from time to time about this being the last month they'd give me credit. But I've continued to call each and every month I've gotten the phantom data charge and I've always succeeded in having it taken off. And I've never agreed to a data block or signed up for a data plan. I just can't believe they continue to actually try to collect this "unearned" income from us. But don't give up, don't ever give up.

63 of 87 (1,064 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 4, 2011 3:41:53 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    these aren't phantom data charges. phantom data charges are unexplainable losses of data. these are explainable.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

64 of 87 (1,056 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 4, 2011 4:04:53 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I plan to make my monthly call to have the charges removed tomorrow and fully expect to be told that they won't remove the charges.  I think 3 of my 5 phones are up for contract renewal in May so I don't think I'll have any problem convincing them otherwise.

There are several ways they can fix this, but the solution I like the best is that they shouldn't charge for data use of less than 3 KB per month.   Is there any useful data download you can do using 3 KB?  None of our phones are smart phones. None of them have browsers. 

65 of 87 (1,054 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 5, 2011 4:22:04 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    if they can access the internet they must have a browser, granted not an HTML browser, but they still have one.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

66 of 87 (1,042 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 5, 2011 4:35:03 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I had no problem getting my refund yesterday, even though last month they said it was the last time.   Since they have been refunding me every month for well over a year, isn't that the same as admitting that it's their problem, not mine?

I believe that's what a judge would say.

67 of 87 (1,041 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 7, 2011 10:51:11 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

It's their problem all right. But they've made it our problem. Just think of how many of those $2.00 charges get paid by customers not looking discerningly at their bills.

68 of 87 (1,017 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 8, 2011 11:44:36 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    you keep getting the refund as they are not reading notes or looking at previous adjustments

69 of 87 (1,009 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2011 9:20:10 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by ausgewandert on May 21, 2011 at 9:22:48 PM

it should be pretty obvious that if there is a single data transaction listed as 2kb that this is cannot be considered "browsing" MediaNet. The connection is cancelled right after the accidental button push. What do you get for 2kb on the Net? Please show me what was transferred with the 2kb data. Still it's being charged as $2. And yes, they have told me too last time that this is the last time they do this.

My daughter is getting better with this of course. It's like teaching a kid not to play with fire. We got it down to a single event - not bad.

Not offering a feature at no cost that would prevent charges for accidental MediaNet access is simply rude in my opinion.

so it's either

a) call everytime to remove the $2

b) get their SmartLimits for Wireless (from reading the appropriate thread this seems not to help at all) at $5

c) get a dataplan for the non smartphone at $10

no way to b and c. you expect me to pay for something I don't want and you built a trap into the device to produce data?

seriously, this is unethical.

[ Edited ]
    70 of 87 (967 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 4, 2011 11:35:32 AM
    (0)
    Expert

I've also had to call CC about the $2.00 change that has appeared on my bill for 2 months straight now. They removed the charges, fortunately. This charge has appeared on our 3rd line, my sister's number, most likely from an accidental bump of the button because she I KNOW for a fact that she has NO USE and NO TIME for internet. Each time was for 1 kb. That is SOOO ridiculous!!  Make SURE to check your monthly bills...and make sure to call about it. Just think of how much ATT is making off of those accidental button bumps. This will be interesting to see what CC tells me the NEXT time I need to call...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

71 of 87 (933 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 8, 2011 10:17:18 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Ultimately you may have to vote with your wallet. I switched to another provider in July. That provider has no problem blocking data without blocking IM or picture texts.

I made sure to email AT&T to inform them that their inability or unwillingness to do this was a major reason for them losing my three lines after 10 years of service. I doubt that anybody at AT&T took any notice, but if enough people do this, maybe it will start to get through to them.

72 of 87 (913 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 9, 2011 3:08:01 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    it may not be so much that at&t refuses to do so but limitation of how its set up. a data block on a line blocks all internet activity where it disables all connections. other carriers might have it set up so it only blocks from certain connections.

73 of 87 (900 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 16, 2011 2:48:10 AM
    (0)
    Voyager
    If other carriers have theirs set up so it only blocks from certain connections, then obviously it is possible. Which means that AT&T refuses to do the same. They can overcome this limitation but choose not to.

74 of 87 (881 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 16, 2011 9:29:27 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

Of course ATT could do it if they wanted to help the customer. Even IF we assume there is some insurmountable techical problem to blocking internet service to a particular phone number while still allowing texting photos, all ATT would have to do is change their billing so that no one is billed the $2.00 charge for what is obviously a teeny tiny amount of data usage--it's obvious that the Media Net button was hit accidentally. Of course ATT could correct this if they wanted to.

75 of 87 (876 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2011 12:56:56 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    to correct this with my knowledge of how our systems work it would probably mean a complete reprogramming of the systems which would cost too much to at&t and plans would probably go up to cover the costs

76 of 87 (862 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2011 12:19:39 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    So if I think I understand what I've been reading......I have a non-smart phone with this "Media Net" button (same problem) I can use free wifi at a Starbucks without being charged by AT&T ?

77 of 87 (849 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2011 12:42:26 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Bubey2 wrote:
    So if I think I understand what I've been reading......I have a non-smart phone with this "Media Net" button (same problem) I can use free wifi at a Starbucks without being charged by AT&T ?

Most non-smartphones don't have wi-fi.

78 of 87 (846 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 12:05:38 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

Can you post the directions on how to disable this money key.  I've been old I don't have an internet phone but when I push the money key it was loading up and then asked me to choose an e-mail provider ???  I was hoping I could use it at free spot's, i.e, Starbucks etc.  I do it with my laptop at no charge.

If it can't be done it will be more loser to AT&T,  I will have to stop my Texting plan or switch to another provider who is offering

Unlimited everything at less than what I'm have to pay now.  My kids and Grandkids are all on AT&T but budget has to take

priority.....Thanks in advance for the help

79 of 87 (835 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 2:11:41 PM
    (0)
    Expert

Bubey2 wrote:

Can you post the directions on how to disable this money key.  I've been old I don't have an internet phone but when I push the money key it was loading up and then asked me to choose an e-mail provider ???  I was hoping I could use it at free spot's, i.e, Starbucks etc.  I do it with my laptop at no charge.

If it can't be done it will be more loser to AT&T,  I will have to stop my Texting plan or switch to another provider who is offering

Unlimited everything at less than what I'm have to pay now.  My kids and Grandkids are all on AT&T but budget has to take

priority.....Thanks in advance for the help

Bubey2...Can you please post what type of phone you are using?? Not sure if the "money key" you are referring to is what everyone calls Media Net??  At least that is how I am taking that...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

80 of 87 (830 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 2:56:10 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

You cannot disable the Media Net key.

The choices are:

1. turn off data and lose the ability sent photos as Messages.

2. Call every month get the $2 charge removed from your bill.

3. Pay for a data plan.

I've been choosing number 2 for well over a year now.

81 of 87 (972 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2011 2:57:13 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Complete reprogramming of the system??? I don't think so...

82 of 87 (976 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 1:37:47 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by ShaunMN on Nov 21, 2011 at 1:47:08 PM

What a coincidence. I too get a $2.00 charge every month.  Not two....never three....just ONE.   I began calling every month. Finally the customer service rep gave me a $20 credit to cover a few months worth if it kept happening.  Well, here it is 18 months into my contract  and I still get that single usage fee every month.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
    83 of 87 (883 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 7:00:30 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by ShaunMN on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:22:44 PM

Yes!! I've had the same problem since I opened my account. I guarantee ATT is making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of this little accident. I say all of us experiencing this demand they put some sort of "are you sure you want to connect" feature on their Medianet service. This would be a very simple programming fix.

If this charge continues for a mere one or two seconds it takes to accidental hit a button and instantly canceling it,[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I am a computer programmer and I know they can work around this issue.

Unless we all demand action they will continue to steal our $2.00 for every slip. Think of how many customers they have and the number of slips there must be a month. They are getting rich $2.00 at a time.

[ Edited ]
    84 of 87 (876 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 7:28:25 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Edited by ShaunMN on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:32:10 PM

ATT would have a large problem if they raised rates to fix problem on their end. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars do you think they collect from this tiny slip of the finger? I, [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. would love to see the books on this charge. Think of the volume of their customer base and how many slips a month there are. This is just free money to ATT.  

[ Edited ]
    85 of 87 (866 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 7:41:30 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Hey shaunMN, please forward my entire posts to the powers that be. I can't find a way to get my message to corporate on your site. If there is a way please let me know.  I and the rest of your customers are very upset about this $2.00 fee. Trouble could be brewing.

Thanks,

Loukwid

86 of 87 (862 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 19, 2012 8:40:48 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I just noticed that for the past 6 billing periods there has been a $2 data usage charge. These are obviously connection mistakes (if they really happened at all). I called and complained for a credit once but I'm starting to think that there's some sort of conspiracy here. They'll take it off if you complain but I feel like they're banking on the fact that you won't call and complain about $2. $2 a month adds up and broadcast that across many accounts and it really adds up. Any one else have this issue?

87 of 87 (775 Views)