Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

Mentor

Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

I have a 1400 minute a month family plan for three lines with unlimited texting. None of us "intentionally" use Media Net. But for the last couple of months, one or two of our lines has been charged $2 for a couple of kB of data "usage." I've called ATT and they've taken the charges off but they now tell me they won't necessarily do this the next time I call in. I have accidentally hit the Media Net key on my LG  CF 360 a time or two and have tried to cancel it as quickly as possible--I've seen the blue and white ATT earth spinning for a fraction of a second or two.

This is exasperating because ATT knows that it is impossible to map the media net key to a different location on my LG (it is the center of the toggle) and it is easy to accidentally hit. All they offer is the ability to totally block date which would then also block my ability to send photos via my unlimited texting.

Anyone else have this particular problem? Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 87 (6,673 Views)
Employee

Re: Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

to correct this with my knowledge of how our systems work it would probably mean a complete reprogramming of the systems which would cost too much to at&t and plans would probably go up to cover the costs
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 76 of 87 (1,082 Views)
Mentor

So if I think I understand what I've been reading......I have a non-smart phone with this "Media Net" button (same problem) I can use free wifi at a Starbucks without being charged by AT&T ?
Message 77 of 87 (1,069 Views)
Scholar

Bubey2 wrote:
So if I think I understand what I've been reading......I have a non-smart phone with this "Media Net" button (same problem) I can use free wifi at a Starbucks without being charged by AT&T ?

Most non-smartphones don't have wi-fi.

Message 78 of 87 (1,066 Views)
Mentor

Can you post the directions on how to disable this money key.  I've been old I don't have an internet phone but when I push the money key it was loading up and then asked me to choose an e-mail provider ???  I was hoping I could use it at free spot's, i.e, Starbucks etc.  I do it with my laptop at no charge.

If it can't be done it will be more loser to AT&T,  I will have to stop my Texting plan or switch to another provider who is offering

Unlimited everything at less than what I'm have to pay now.  My kids and Grandkids are all on AT&T but budget has to take

priority.....Thanks in advance for the help

Message 79 of 87 (1,055 Views)
Expert

Bubey2 wrote:

Can you post the directions on how to disable this money key.  I've been old I don't have an internet phone but when I push the money key it was loading up and then asked me to choose an e-mail provider ???  I was hoping I could use it at free spot's, i.e, Starbucks etc.  I do it with my laptop at no charge.

If it can't be done it will be more loser to AT&T,  I will have to stop my Texting plan or switch to another provider who is offering

Unlimited everything at less than what I'm have to pay now.  My kids and Grandkids are all on AT&T but budget has to take

priority.....Thanks in advance for the help

Bubey2...Can you please post what type of phone you are using?? Not sure if the "money key" you are referring to is what everyone calls Media Net??  At least that is how I am taking that...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 80 of 87 (1,050 Views)
Tutor

You cannot disable the Media Net key.

The choices are:

1. turn off data and lose the ability sent photos as Messages.

2. Call every month get the $2 charge removed from your bill.

3. Pay for a data plan.

I've been choosing number 2 for well over a year now.

Message 81 of 87 (1,192 Views)
Tutor

Complete reprogramming of the system??? I don't think so...

Message 82 of 87 (1,196 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a coincidence. I too get a $2.00 charge every month.  Not two....never three....just ONE.   I began calling every month. Finally the customer service rep gave me a $20 credit to cover a few months worth if it kept happening.  Well, here it is 18 months into my contract  and I still get that single usage fee every month.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 83 of 87 (1,103 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes!! I've had the same problem since I opened my account. I guarantee ATT is making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of this little accident. I say all of us experiencing this demand they put some sort of "are you sure you want to connect" feature on their Medianet service. This would be a very simple programming fix.

If this charge continues for a mere one or two seconds it takes to accidental hit a button and instantly canceling it,[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I am a computer programmer and I know they can work around this issue.

Unless we all demand action they will continue to steal our $2.00 for every slip. Think of how many customers they have and the number of slips there must be a month. They are getting rich $2.00 at a time.

Message 84 of 87 (1,096 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

ATT would have a large problem if they raised rates to fix problem on their end. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars do you think they collect from this tiny slip of the finger? I, [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. would love to see the books on this charge. Think of the volume of their customer base and how many slips a month there are. This is just free money to ATT.  

Message 85 of 87 (1,086 Views)
Contributor

Hey shaunMN, please forward my entire posts to the powers that be. I can't find a way to get my message to corporate on your site. If there is a way please let me know.  I and the rest of your customers are very upset about this $2.00 fee. Trouble could be brewing.

Thanks,

Loukwid

Message 86 of 87 (1,082 Views)
Tutor

I just noticed that for the past 6 billing periods there has been a $2 data usage charge. These are obviously connection mistakes (if they really happened at all). I called and complained for a credit once but I'm starting to think that there's some sort of conspiracy here. They'll take it off if you complain but I feel like they're banking on the fact that you won't call and complain about $2. $2 a month adds up and broadcast that across many accounts and it really adds up. Any one else have this issue?

Message 87 of 87 (995 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.