Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

Mentor

Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

I have a 1400 minute a month family plan for three lines with unlimited texting. None of us "intentionally" use Media Net. But for the last couple of months, one or two of our lines has been charged $2 for a couple of kB of data "usage." I've called ATT and they've taken the charges off but they now tell me they won't necessarily do this the next time I call in. I have accidentally hit the Media Net key on my LG  CF 360 a time or two and have tried to cancel it as quickly as possible--I've seen the blue and white ATT earth spinning for a fraction of a second or two.

This is exasperating because ATT knows that it is impossible to map the media net key to a different location on my LG (it is the center of the toggle) and it is easy to accidentally hit. All they offer is the ability to totally block date which would then also block my ability to send photos via my unlimited texting.

Anyone else have this particular problem? Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 87 (6,674 Views)

Re: Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

data plan: yeah, the funny thing (not too funny if you have called them a few times already) is that they offer this as a solution and act like it's free. It's ONLY $10! they must be kidding me....

to be continued......

Message 61 of 87 (1,335 Views)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with ATT because, once again,  we had $4 data charges for accidental sign-ons on 2 of our 4 phones.  I was told that since I have called and received credits the past three months that this will be the last month they will credit my account for these charges. From now on I will have to pay the charges or block the feature and then not be able to use the "free" picture messaging feature which they used as a selling point when we initially purchased the plan. My contract is not up until next March. I am not a happy customer right now!

Message 62 of 87 (1,294 Views)
Mentor

They've given me that song and dance from time to time about this being the last month they'd give me credit. But I've continued to call each and every month I've gotten the phantom data charge and I've always succeeded in having it taken off. And I've never agreed to a data block or signed up for a data plan. I just can't believe they continue to actually try to collect this "unearned" income from us. But don't give up, don't ever give up.

Message 63 of 87 (1,284 Views)
Employee

these aren't phantom data charges. phantom data charges are unexplainable losses of data. these are explainable.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 64 of 87 (1,276 Views)
Tutor

I plan to make my monthly call to have the charges removed tomorrow and fully expect to be told that they won't remove the charges.  I think 3 of my 5 phones are up for contract renewal in May so I don't think I'll have any problem convincing them otherwise.

There are several ways they can fix this, but the solution I like the best is that they shouldn't charge for data use of less than 3 KB per month.   Is there any useful data download you can do using 3 KB?  None of our phones are smart phones. None of them have browsers. 

Message 65 of 87 (1,274 Views)
Employee

if they can access the internet they must have a browser, granted not an HTML browser, but they still have one.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 66 of 87 (1,262 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I had no problem getting my refund yesterday, even though last month they said it was the last time.   Since they have been refunding me every month for well over a year, isn't that the same as admitting that it's their problem, not mine?

I believe that's what a judge would say.

Message 67 of 87 (1,261 Views)
Mentor

It's their problem all right. But they've made it our problem. Just think of how many of those $2.00 charges get paid by customers not looking discerningly at their bills.

Message 68 of 87 (1,237 Views)
Employee

you keep getting the refund as they are not reading notes or looking at previous adjustments
Employee Contributor*
Message 69 of 87 (1,229 Views)

[ Edited ]

it should be pretty obvious that if there is a single data transaction listed as 2kb that this is cannot be considered "browsing" MediaNet. The connection is cancelled right after the accidental button push. What do you get for 2kb on the Net? Please show me what was transferred with the 2kb data. Still it's being charged as $2. And yes, they have told me too last time that this is the last time they do this.

My daughter is getting better with this of course. It's like teaching a kid not to play with fire. We got it down to a single event - not bad.

Not offering a feature at no cost that would prevent charges for accidental MediaNet access is simply rude in my opinion.

so it's either

a) call everytime to remove the $2

b) get their SmartLimits for Wireless (from reading the appropriate thread this seems not to help at all) at $5

c) get a dataplan for the non smartphone at $10

no way to b and c. you expect me to pay for something I don't want and you built a trap into the device to produce data?

seriously, this is unethical.

Message 70 of 87 (1,187 Views)
Expert

I've also had to call CC about the $2.00 change that has appeared on my bill for 2 months straight now. They removed the charges, fortunately. This charge has appeared on our 3rd line, my sister's number, most likely from an accidental bump of the button because she I KNOW for a fact that she has NO USE and NO TIME for internet. Each time was for 1 kb. That is SOOO ridiculous!!  Make SURE to check your monthly bills...and make sure to call about it. Just think of how much ATT is making off of those accidental button bumps. This will be interesting to see what CC tells me the NEXT time I need to call...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 71 of 87 (1,153 Views)
Scholar

Ultimately you may have to vote with your wallet. I switched to another provider in July. That provider has no problem blocking data without blocking IM or picture texts.

I made sure to email AT&T to inform them that their inability or unwillingness to do this was a major reason for them losing my three lines after 10 years of service. I doubt that anybody at AT&T took any notice, but if enough people do this, maybe it will start to get through to them.
Message 72 of 87 (1,133 Views)
Employee

it may not be so much that at&t refuses to do so but limitation of how its set up. a data block on a line blocks all internet activity where it disables all connections. other carriers might have it set up so it only blocks from certain connections.
Employee Contributor*
Message 73 of 87 (1,120 Views)
Voyager

If other carriers have theirs set up so it only blocks from certain connections, then obviously it is possible. Which means that AT&T refuses to do the same. They can overcome this limitation but choose not to.
Message 74 of 87 (1,101 Views)
Mentor

Of course ATT could do it if they wanted to help the customer. Even IF we assume there is some insurmountable techical problem to blocking internet service to a particular phone number while still allowing texting photos, all ATT would have to do is change their billing so that no one is billed the $2.00 charge for what is obviously a teeny tiny amount of data usage--it's obvious that the Media Net button was hit accidentally. Of course ATT could correct this if they wanted to.

Message 75 of 87 (1,096 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.