Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

Highlighted
Mentor

Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

I have a 1400 minute a month family plan for three lines with unlimited texting. None of us "intentionally" use Media Net. But for the last couple of months, one or two of our lines has been charged $2 for a couple of kB of data "usage." I've called ATT and they've taken the charges off but they now tell me they won't necessarily do this the next time I call in. I have accidentally hit the Media Net key on my LG  CF 360 a time or two and have tried to cancel it as quickly as possible--I've seen the blue and white ATT earth spinning for a fraction of a second or two.

This is exasperating because ATT knows that it is impossible to map the media net key to a different location on my LG (it is the center of the toggle) and it is easy to accidentally hit. All they offer is the ability to totally block date which would then also block my ability to send photos via my unlimited texting.

Anyone else have this particular problem? Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 87 (6,672 Views)
Master

Re: Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It

I'm not familiar with LG's, but I'd take a look at your connectivity settings - see if you can set up a dummy settings profile (with erroneous or nonexistent settings) and then assign it as the default access point for internet access.  (Take a look at the LG board too to see if there are specific instructions out there from other LG users with the same issue.)

I was able to accomplish this on my SE W580i, and then I created a directional key shortcut to the connectivity menu so I can easily toggle back and forth between the "real" access point (MediaNet) when I want internet access and the one with erroneous settings.  At least on my SE, changing the internet access point prevents access from the MediaNet button and the MediaNet icon on the main menu; but it does not prevent the use of MMS, IM, or Mobile E-Mail. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 87 (6,277 Views)
Mentor

Thanks for the reply. And I don't mean to imply that it is only an LG issue. My son has had a couple of these $2 charges using a Samsung and my wife has also using a Motorola. There's simply no reason for ATT to take advantage of the poor consumer who accidentally hits the Media Net button. They might as well just print a $2 sign on that button instead of Media Net.

Also, why can't I block Media Net access through ATT instead of having to block all data access including the ability to text photos, for which I am paying $30 a month for already on the family plan for unlimited texting? 

Message 3 of 87 (6,265 Views)
Expert

sgmorr....Do you have the ability in your settings on your LG CF360 to auto lock your keypad when your phone is closed?? When you would slide it open, it would automatically unlock. That would prevent your MEdia Net key from being pressed while it is in your pocket or wherever you keep it. I have an LG Shine and that is how I have mine set.

With ATT's new Pay Per Use charge of $2.00, anythime you access MEdia Net, you will unfortunately see this $2 charge. I'm just wondering if ATT still offers the OLD Pay Per Use rate of $.01/kb?? It's worth a try to call CC and ask to change you back to the OLD Pay Per Use rate IF it is possible. That way, if you accidentally access MEdia Net, you'd only be charged a few cents.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 4 of 87 (6,240 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

sgmorr wrote:

Thanks for the reply. And I don't mean to imply that it is only an LG issue. My son has had a couple of these $2 charges using a Samsung and my wife has also using a Motorola. There's simply no reason for ATT to take advantage of the poor consumer who accidentally hits the Media Net button. They might as well just print a $2 sign on that button instead of Media Net.

Also, why can't I block Media Net access through ATT instead of having to block all data access including the ability to text photos, for which I am paying $30 a month for already on the family plan for unlimited texting? 

You're welcome.

No - I understand it's not just an LG issue - it's an at&t money key that is on every at&t branded phone. Smiley Sad  The same key on non-branded SE's for example brings up a user editable short cut menu.

On my Cingular branded Motorola, I was able to security lock MediaNet (look for an application security lock feature) and that keeps the MediaNet key from connecting as well as the application when selected from the main menu; but it is an older Moto (an L2); they may have changed things since then.

I can't answer why the ability to only block the MediaNet application without blocking the "messaging" activities which also use data isn't available.  The accidental key presses became a much larger issue when at&t changed the PPU pricing for MediaNet to $2/MB from $0.01/kB.  Since the $2 is charged with the first accidental keypress, the current pricing is much better for those who actually intentionally use data on a PPU basis, but much worse for those who don't use data at all, yet still want the ability for MMS and IM.  Smiley Sad  I don't know if the PPU data rate of $0.01/kB is still available, but it wouldn't hurt to call customer service and ask about it - if your accidental data usage is truly a very small amount, the old PPU rate may work better for you.

Message Edited by hme83 on 02-11-2010 07:00:14 AM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 87 (6,240 Views)
Mentor

Thanks to you and Dcookie for the suggestion about asking for the old 1 cent per kilobyte rate from ATT. It's no longer available unfortunately. An application security lock feature for the Media Net key would be great. I'll have to search my LG menus for that option if it exists. Thanks again.

Oh, and about locking the whole keypad. That just doesn't seem to be the source of the problem. The problem usually occurs when I try to hit the up arrow to open a new text message screen and my finger kind of slips and simultaneously presses the central part of the toggle. I try to be careful but this is usually the cause of this albeit rare but annoying problem. 

Message 6 of 87 (6,220 Views)
Master

I wish we could have helped more. Smiley Sad  It won't hurt to look at your LG for an application security lock feature, but your wife's Moto is where I thought the possibility would be the greatest. Smiley Wink

And I know what you mean - the biggest problem is on the phones with a circular directional pad surrounding the MediaNet key.  I don't have the issue on my Nokias (both non-branded) where you have to press and hold the "0" key for a decent amount of time to initiate an internet connection.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 7 of 87 (6,214 Views)
Expert

sgmorr...Well, sorry it didn't help to suggest the old data pay per use rate but it was worth a try. I guess I better tell my husband and sister about not ever changing their original ppu rate!! Smiley Wink

I hear you about hitting that MEdia Net key. On my old LG Shine, it was VERY easy to press that toggle and access MEdia Net when I didn't want to.

Well, I hope you can figure something out. Good luck. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 8 of 87 (6,192 Views)
Mentor

Thanks Dcookie. It's too bad we are placed in a position to have to deal with an unneeded hassle like this. But... Oh well.

I have read that there are also lots of complaints from Verizon users about a similar charging practice from that company. 

Message 9 of 87 (6,174 Views)
Scholar

hi  Sgmorr, 

if I read this correctly,  you want to block Media Net access?   I have 3 phones,  2 LG cu515s  and a Samsung Propel. 

On the 2 LGs,  I have the Media Net blocked.  I have it only on my Propel.  We also have the Unlimited Family Texting or whatever it's called ( the $30.00 a month plan for how-ever many phones are in your Family Plan).

If you can take the phones to a Corpoarate store and  have them adjust (?) or whatever it is they do to them,  you might want to try that.  And,  Do NOT leave until they are working the way you want.

Message 10 of 87 (6,081 Views)
Mentor

OK, thanks BrokenWench. I guess I'll give it a try since I have a corporate store nearby. All ATT told me over the phone was that the only way I could block Media Net was to have them block all data which would then result in my inability to send photos via SMS (texting). I'll drop into the store and see if they can physically adjust my LG so that Media Net is blocked.
Message 11 of 87 (3,386 Views)
Master

sgmorr wrote:
All ATT told me over the phone was that the only way I could block Media Net was to have them block all data which would then result in my inability to send photos via SMS (texting).

That is correct what they said.  If you have a data block placed on your line it will also block/prevent you from sending/receiving MMS message on the line you place the block on.

Message 12 of 87 (3,372 Views)
Mentor

That kind of bothers me, Planet-Ed. That's the way it is because that's the way ATT made it. Of course, it doesn't have to be that way. I pay $30 per month for unlimited texting on my three line family plan and I don't want to give up MMS messages. ATT "could" block only Media Net for customers but apparently has made the active choice not to. That really bugs me to no end.
Message 13 of 87 (3,355 Views)

I swear to catfish...

On LG phones, and most Samsung phones, you can easily make a fake MEdia Net profile to prevent all browser access without breaking picture messaging.

Use Device Tutorials on this very website, check the browser settings for the phone, and if you can make a new profile where "MEdia Net" typically is listed, then make one called "none" or something, and if you have to add a homepage address, use http://127.0.0.1 or http://0.0.0.0, leave everything else blank, save it, and activate it.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 87 (3,341 Views)
Mentor

Thanks. Where do I find Device Tutorials? I've looked and haven't located it yet. Thanks.
Message 15 of 87 (3,335 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.