Helpful Links

Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Newb here who is totally enthralled with my new IPhone 4. That being said, I had a ridiculously cheap plan at Sprint at 43.xx month with unlimited data. I'm really worried about going over my 200mb a month limit. Any tips to prevent unintentional data usage? The "phantom data" threads got me paranoid.

 

I was also wondering how folks on the phantom data thread are finding detailed recording of their data usage?

I can only find totals on my phone. They have listings of times, etc. Is this an app or somewhere on my phone and I can't find it?

 

How do I verify that my phone is utilizing my home wifi connection? It says "on" under wi-fi networks and my network is checked under "choose a network"...so I'm assuming I'm good? If I'm out and about, will the phone pick up random wifi networks? How would I prevent that?

 

Hate to be a pain, but I didn't need to worry about my data usage with Sprint so i'm a little nervous.

 

TIA,

4,418 Views
Message 1 of 17
Scholar

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

I wouldn't be too too worried about it. From what you've said about the check mark next to your network, yes that means you are connected.  To prevent phantom data usage, you should disable cellular data. Settings>Network>Cellular Data on\off. switch it too off. That will prevent your iphone from using EDGE or 3G to transfer any kind of data, it will be strictly over a Wi-Fi connection if you are connected to wi-fi.

 

Message 2 of 17
Tutor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

 


lorraineg57 wrote:

Newb here who is totally enthralled with my new IPhone 4. That being said, I had a ridiculously cheap plan at Sprint at 43.xx month with unlimited data. I'm really worried about going over my 200mb a month limit. Any tips to prevent unintentional data usage? The "phantom data" threads got me paranoid.

 

I was also wondering how folks on the phantom data thread are finding detailed recording of their data usage?

I can only find totals on my phone. They have listings of times, etc. Is this an app or somewhere on my phone and I can't find it?

 

How do I verify that my phone is utilizing my home wifi connection? It says "on" under wi-fi networks and my network is checked under "choose a network"...so I'm assuming I'm good? If I'm out and about, will the phone pick up random wifi networks? How would I prevent that?

 

Hate to be a pain, but I didn't need to worry about my data usage with Sprint so i'm a little nervous.

 

TIA,


 

My goodness! Upgrade to the DataPro 2gb data plan immediately! You would constantly go over 200mb! Upgrade to the $10 higher data plan and you should be fine.


Also this link should help you out in seeing how much data you would use. I am just going to barely slide in that 2gb a month

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

 

Message 3 of 17
Professor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

 


zorphon wrote:

 

 

My goodness! Upgrade to the DataPro 2gb data plan immediately! You would constantly go over 200mb! Upgrade to the $10 higher data plan and you should be fine.


Also this link should help you out in seeing how much data you would use. I am just going to barely slide in that 2gb a month

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

 


 

If you occassionaly put the phone down and interact with people in real life, then you should not have an issue with staying well under the 2GB plan.  For the majority of users, the 200mb plan is sufficient.

 

I generally average around 4-800mb and could easily stay under 200mb with a little more dilligence about connectiong to Wi-Fi when available.

 

If you are constantly going over even 1Gb of data, then my guess is you are using the iPhone for your primary Internet connection.  In my opinion, a laptop or desktop would make MUCH more sense for this.

 

 

As for the OP, you can check your data usage using the OLAM or using the AT&T myWireless app.

Message 4 of 17
Guru

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

actually, with the iPhone 4, since many programs will still continue running in the background, it's wise to manually turn them off or you will exceed the 200mb limit (as they may run continously in the background), which many users would encounter when they've never used an iPhone before (by just pressing home button and switch to another app, the previous app may be still lurking/running in the background... Hence it will use data. So pay attention to that more frequently.

 

Personally I do not think the 200mb will be sufficient for majority of users since of their lack of understanding how to turn off any app running in the background, so I definetely recommend 2gb data plan.

Message 5 of 17
Professor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

I am coming to AT&T from Sprint and "true unlimited" wireless data as well.

 

Leave your wifi on all the time, it doesn't hurt the battery. Hang out in locations with wifi. Don't use push email.

 

I'm averaging 2-4mb/day on 3g, and a whole lot more on wifi but then I spend 95% of my day in wifi coverage. I am on the 2gb plan. On sprint, when I didn't care, I think the worse month for data use I managed to use 1GB of data, but then that was on crappier WinMobile phones...

 

 

Message 6 of 17
Tutor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

I would definitely recommend going to the 2 GB data pro plan. If you're going to stream any music or video at all on 3G or EDGE, you will easily go over 200 MB. If you use Pandora Radio (I love it), make sure you have the lower quality audio in settings (it sounds just as good in my opinion). 

Message 7 of 17
Professor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Better way is to swap to "Airplane Mode". Nothing gets through then. Except you'll miss emergency calls.

 

It's better to actually have the 2GB not just due to the phantom data as we put it, but you use data no matter what. Making calls or SMS uses a little data. I use data up to 2GB every month on a whole lot of things including phone calls.

Message 8 of 17
ACE - Expert

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

 


josephz2va wrote:

Better way is to swap to "Airplane Mode". Nothing gets through then. Except you'll miss emergency calls.

 

It's better to actually have the 2GB not just due to the phantom data as we put it, but you use data no matter what. Making calls or SMS uses a little data. I use data up to 2GB every month on a whole lot of things including phone calls.


 

No need to go into airplane mode. As a previous poster pointed out, with OS4 you can turn off cellular data without turning off the ability to make calls: Settings>Network>Cellular Data on\off

 

Additionally, you will get email/txt msgs from AT&T as you near your data limit and you have the option of changing your data plan to the higher limit retroactively to the beginning of the bill cycle.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 17
Mentor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

The 2 GB plan is unnecessary for most. As At&t said, 65% of us use under 200 mb a month. If you have wifi around you for a good portion of the day, you should be straight with the 200 mb plan. I use less than 5mb a day on 3G and often only use 1 or 2 megs.

Message 10 of 17

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.


josephz2va wrote:

Better way is to swap to "Airplane Mode". Nothing gets through then. Except you'll miss emergency calls.

 

It's better to actually have the 2GB not just due to the phantom data as we put it, but you use data no matter what. Making calls or SMS uses a little data. I use data up to 2GB every month on a whole lot of things including phone calls.


I have never heard that making calls uses data.  What would that be?  Only think I  could imagine would be caller ID but I would guess it could also go over the same voice channel that sms uses.  This has me scratching my head.....

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 11 of 17

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.


 

No need to go into airplane mode. As a previous poster pointed out, with OS4 you can turn off cellular data without turning off the ability to make calls: Settings>Network>Cellular Data on\off

 

Additionally, you will get email/txt msgs from AT&T as you near your data limit and you have the option of changing your data plan to the higher limit retroactively to the beginning of the bill cycle.


That's good to know...it's actually pretty cool that they do that.

Message 12 of 17

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Thanks so much for all the responses! For some reason, I don't seem to be getting my email notifications of responses.

 

So I've had my phone since Saturday late evening. So far, according to my phone, I've sent 589kb and received 11.1 MB. I think a large chunk of that received my be due to downloading Epocrates at work (no wi-fi). I was under the impression that the database was already installed but when I clicked the icon on the phone, it started downloading....

 

Unfortunately, there's no info on my bill online yet. I'm assuming that's where people are able to determine the exact times that data is being sent/received? Is there an app that would do that also?

 

I'm tossing around just bumping it up. With my corporate discount, the 2GB is 19.50 and I'm paying 15.00 now. Then again, 5 bucks is five bucks and if I'm really not going to need it.

 

Can I just go month by month and bump it up on the months when I need to? Or if you bump it up because you've gotten a notice that you'll be over, are you stuck at the higher level?

 

Once again, thanks...so much to learn! This is so different than my Treo....

Message 13 of 17

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Try using a real time data usage manager that monitors your data use on your iPhone. The app is called DataMan and you can get it from AppStore. This app will allow you to monitor your data use over different days.

Message 14 of 17
Professor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

@Lorraine, you can change back and forth for your data plan, as needed.

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support