Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 12, 2010
9:37:55 PM
Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Newb here who is totally enthralled with my new IPhone 4. That being said, I had a ridiculously cheap plan at Sprint at 43.xx month with unlimited data. I'm really worried about going over my 200mb a month limit. Any tips to prevent unintentional data usage? The "phantom data" threads got me paranoid.

I was also wondering how folks on the phantom data thread are finding detailed recording of their data usage?

I can only find totals on my phone. They have listings of times, etc. Is this an app or somewhere on my phone and I can't find it?

How do I verify that my phone is utilizing my home wifi connection? It says "on" under wi-fi networks and my network is checked under "choose a network"...so I'm assuming I'm good? If I'm out and about, will the phone pick up random wifi networks? How would I prevent that?

Hate to be a pain, but I didn't need to worry about my data usage with Sprint so i'm a little nervous.

TIA,

Newb here who is totally enthralled with my new IPhone 4. That being said, I had a ridiculously cheap plan at Sprint at 43.xx month with unlimited data. I'm really worried about going over my 200mb a month limit. Any tips to prevent unintentional data usage? The "phantom data" threads got me paranoid.

I was also wondering how folks on the phantom data thread are finding detailed recording of their data usage?

I can only find totals on my phone. They have listings of times, etc. Is this an app or somewhere on my phone and I can't find it?

How do I verify that my phone is utilizing my home wifi connection? It says "on" under wi-fi networks and my network is checked under "choose a network"...so I'm assuming I'm good? If I'm out and about, will the phone pick up random wifi networks? How would I prevent that?

Hate to be a pain, but I didn't need to worry about my data usage with Sprint so i'm a little nervous.

TIA,

Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2010 9:59:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

I wouldn't be too too worried about it. From what you've said about the check mark next to your network, yes that means you are connected.  To prevent phantom data usage, you should disable cellular data. Settings>Network>Cellular Data on\off. switch it too off. That will prevent your iphone from using EDGE or 3G to transfer any kind of data, it will be strictly over a Wi-Fi connection if you are connected to wi-fi.

I wouldn't be too too worried about it. From what you've said about the check mark next to your network, yes that means you are connected.  To prevent phantom data usage, you should disable cellular data. Settings>Network>Cellular Data on\off. switch it too off. That will prevent your iphone from using EDGE or 3G to transfer any kind of data, it will be strictly over a Wi-Fi connection if you are connected to wi-fi.

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

2 of 17 (4,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2010 10:00:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

lorraineg57 wrote:

TIA,

My goodness! Upgrade to the DataPro 2gb data plan immediately! You would constantly go over 200mb! Upgrade to the $10 higher data plan and you should be fine.

Also this link should help you out in seeing how much data you would use. I am just going to barely slide in that 2gb a month

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

lorraineg57 wrote:

TIA,

My goodness! Upgrade to the DataPro 2gb data plan immediately! You would constantly go over 200mb! Upgrade to the $10 higher data plan and you should be fine.

Also this link should help you out in seeing how much data you would use. I am just going to barely slide in that 2gb a month

3 of 17 (4,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 4:41:09 AM
(0)
Professor

zorphon wrote:

If you occassionaly put the phone down and interact with people in real life, then you should not have an issue with staying well under the 2GB plan.  For the majority of users, the 200mb plan is sufficient.

I generally average around 4-800mb and could easily stay under 200mb with a little more dilligence about connectiong to Wi-Fi when available.

If you are constantly going over even 1Gb of data, then my guess is you are using the iPhone for your primary Internet connection.  In my opinion, a laptop or desktop would make MUCH more sense for this.

As for the OP, you can check your data usage using the OLAM or using the AT&T myWireless app.

zorphon wrote:

If you occassionaly put the phone down and interact with people in real life, then you should not have an issue with staying well under the 2GB plan.  For the majority of users, the 200mb plan is sufficient.

I generally average around 4-800mb and could easily stay under 200mb with a little more dilligence about connectiong to Wi-Fi when available.

If you are constantly going over even 1Gb of data, then my guess is you are using the iPhone for your primary Internet connection.  In my opinion, a laptop or desktop would make MUCH more sense for this.

As for the OP, you can check your data usage using the OLAM or using the AT&T myWireless app.

4 of 17 (4,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 4:48:06 AM
(0)
Guru

actually, with the iPhone 4, since many programs will still continue running in the background, it's wise to manually turn them off or you will exceed the 200mb limit (as they may run continously in the background), which many users would encounter when they've never used an iPhone before (by just pressing home button and switch to another app, the previous app may be still lurking/running in the background... Hence it will use data. So pay attention to that more frequently.

Personally I do not think the 200mb will be sufficient for majority of users since of their lack of understanding how to turn off any app running in the background, so I definetely recommend 2gb data plan.

actually, with the iPhone 4, since many programs will still continue running in the background, it's wise to manually turn them off or you will exceed the 200mb limit (as they may run continously in the background), which many users would encounter when they've never used an iPhone before (by just pressing home button and switch to another app, the previous app may be still lurking/running in the background... Hence it will use data. So pay attention to that more frequently.

Personally I do not think the 200mb will be sufficient for majority of users since of their lack of understanding how to turn off any app running in the background, so I definetely recommend 2gb data plan.

5 of 17 (4,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 5:59:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I am coming to AT&T from Sprint and "true unlimited" wireless data as well.

Leave your wifi on all the time, it doesn't hurt the battery. Hang out in locations with wifi. Don't use push email.

I'm averaging 2-4mb/day on 3g, and a whole lot more on wifi but then I spend 95% of my day in wifi coverage. I am on the 2gb plan. On sprint, when I didn't care, I think the worse month for data use I managed to use 1GB of data, but then that was on crappier WinMobile phones...

I am coming to AT&T from Sprint and "true unlimited" wireless data as well.

Leave your wifi on all the time, it doesn't hurt the battery. Hang out in locations with wifi. Don't use push email.

I'm averaging 2-4mb/day on 3g, and a whole lot more on wifi but then I spend 95% of my day in wifi coverage. I am on the 2gb plan. On sprint, when I didn't care, I think the worse month for data use I managed to use 1GB of data, but then that was on crappier WinMobile phones...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 17 (4,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 6:22:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

I would definitely recommend going to the 2 GB data pro plan. If you're going to stream any music or video at all on 3G or EDGE, you will easily go over 200 MB. If you use Pandora Radio (I love it), make sure you have the lower quality audio in settings (it sounds just as good in my opinion). 

I would definitely recommend going to the 2 GB data pro plan. If you're going to stream any music or video at all on 3G or EDGE, you will easily go over 200 MB. If you use Pandora Radio (I love it), make sure you have the lower quality audio in settings (it sounds just as good in my opinion). 

7 of 17 (4,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 6:54:18 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:56:25 AM

Better way is to swap to "Airplane Mode". Nothing gets through then. Except you'll miss emergency calls.

It's better to actually have the 2GB not just due to the phantom data as we put it, but you use data no matter what. Making calls or SMS uses a little data. I use data up to 2GB every month on a whole lot of things including phone calls.

Better way is to swap to "Airplane Mode". Nothing gets through then. Except you'll miss emergency calls.

It's better to actually have the 2GB not just due to the phantom data as we put it, but you use data no matter what. Making calls or SMS uses a little data. I use data up to 2GB every month on a whole lot of things including phone calls.

[ Edited ]
8 of 17 (4,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 9:46:30 AM
(0)
Former Employee

josephz2va wrote:

No need to go into airplane mode. As a previous poster pointed out, with OS4 you can turn off cellular data without turning off the ability to make calls: Settings>Network>Cellular Data on\off

Additionally, you will get email/txt msgs from AT&T as you near your data limit and you have the option of changing your data plan to the higher limit retroactively to the beginning of the bill cycle.

josephz2va wrote:

No need to go into airplane mode. As a previous poster pointed out, with OS4 you can turn off cellular data without turning off the ability to make calls: Settings>Network>Cellular Data on\off

Additionally, you will get email/txt msgs from AT&T as you near your data limit and you have the option of changing your data plan to the higher limit retroactively to the beginning of the bill cycle.

9 of 17 (4,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 2:11:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

The 2 GB plan is unnecessary for most. As At&t said, 65% of us use under 200 mb a month. If you have wifi around you for a good portion of the day, you should be straight with the 200 mb plan. I use less than 5mb a day on 3G and often only use 1 or 2 megs.

The 2 GB plan is unnecessary for most. As At&t said, 65% of us use under 200 mb a month. If you have wifi around you for a good portion of the day, you should be straight with the 200 mb plan. I use less than 5mb a day on 3G and often only use 1 or 2 megs.

10 of 17 (4,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 4:56:57 PM
(0)
Guru

josephz2va wrote:

I have never heard that making calls uses data.  What would that be?  Only think I  could imagine would be caller ID but I would guess it could also go over the same voice channel that sms uses.  This has me scratching my head.....

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

josephz2va wrote:

I have never heard that making calls uses data.  What would that be?  Only think I  could imagine would be caller ID but I would guess it could also go over the same voice channel that sms uses.  This has me scratching my head.....

Sent from my iPhone 4

11 of 17 (2,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 6:14:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's good to know...it's actually pretty cool that they do that.

That's good to know...it's actually pretty cool that they do that.

12 of 17 (2,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 6:40:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks so much for all the responses! For some reason, I don't seem to be getting my email notifications of responses.

So I've had my phone since Saturday late evening. So far, according to my phone, I've sent 589kb and received 11.1 MB. I think a large chunk of that received my be due to downloading Epocrates at work (no wi-fi). I was under the impression that the database was already installed but when I clicked the icon on the phone, it started downloading....

Unfortunately, there's no info on my bill online yet. I'm assuming that's where people are able to determine the exact times that data is being sent/received? Is there an app that would do that also?

I'm tossing around just bumping it up. With my corporate discount, the 2GB is 19.50 and I'm paying 15.00 now. Then again, 5 bucks is five bucks and if I'm really not going to need it.

Can I just go month by month and bump it up on the months when I need to? Or if you bump it up because you've gotten a notice that you'll be over, are you stuck at the higher level?

Once again, thanks...so much to learn! This is so different than my Treo....

Thanks so much for all the responses! For some reason, I don't seem to be getting my email notifications of responses.

So I've had my phone since Saturday late evening. So far, according to my phone, I've sent 589kb and received 11.1 MB. I think a large chunk of that received my be due to downloading Epocrates at work (no wi-fi). I was under the impression that the database was already installed but when I clicked the icon on the phone, it started downloading....

Unfortunately, there's no info on my bill online yet. I'm assuming that's where people are able to determine the exact times that data is being sent/received? Is there an app that would do that also?

I'm tossing around just bumping it up. With my corporate discount, the 2GB is 19.50 and I'm paying 15.00 now. Then again, 5 bucks is five bucks and if I'm really not going to need it.

Can I just go month by month and bump it up on the months when I need to? Or if you bump it up because you've gotten a notice that you'll be over, are you stuck at the higher level?

Once again, thanks...so much to learn! This is so different than my Treo....

13 of 17 (2,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 9:32:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Try using a real time data usage manager that monitors your data use on your iPhone. The app is called DataMan and you can get it from AppStore. This app will allow you to monitor your data use over different days.

Try using a real time data usage manager that monitors your data use on your iPhone. The app is called DataMan and you can get it from AppStore. This app will allow you to monitor your data use over different days.

14 of 17 (2,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 8:59:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@Lorraine, you can change back and forth for your data plan, as needed.

@Lorraine, you can change back and forth for your data plan, as needed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 17 (2,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 9:01:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

This whole thread looks like ATT staffers trying to simplify the ugly truth.

You have an iPhone4, get ready for bad news. ATT is going to charge you fer every bit of data that the phone uses whether you asked for it or not. It is true, most users wouldn't use 200Mb with a little bit of care.

However, you are going to get charged anywhere from 1Mb to 60Mb unless you do drastic things like go through 30 seconds of finger swipes and screen taps to turn off 3G every time you want to be sure that you are not downloading some update.

Be sure to go through every one of your email accounts and turn off push notifications because they check constantly and rack up the bits, even when you don't have any emails.

Don't use any free apps from the AppStore. They use advertisements that you are charged for.

Apple will up and download data all day and night behind the scenes anyhow, besides tracking all of your wifi activity.

If you close an app you have to waste another 30 seconds to double tap the home button, press and hold the running icons for a few seconds and then quit each and every one of them unless one is continuing to suck bits for no reason when you think it is off.

You don't have to have 3g on when you use google maps. Get the map of the location you want, then turn off 3g and cell data, and your on screen location indicator will still follow you around.

Bottom line, there is an unadvertised fact of your contract with ATT that you will very likely use up 200Mb very quickly and without knowing it. Get the 2G plan and hope that ATT starts using a more clear process of interacting with the iPhone 4 that can differentiate between "system" data and data that you actually ask for, because you are going to get charged for both.

You have an iPhone4, get ready for bad news. ATT is going to charge you fer every bit of data that the phone uses whether you asked for it or not. It is true, most users wouldn't use 200Mb with a little bit of care.

However, you are going to get charged anywhere from 1Mb to 60Mb unless you do drastic things like go through 30 seconds of finger swipes and screen taps to turn off 3G every time you want to be sure that you are not downloading some update.

Be sure to go through every one of your email accounts and turn off push notifications because they check constantly and rack up the bits, even when you don't have any emails.

Don't use any free apps from the AppStore. They use advertisements that you are charged for.

Apple will up and download data all day and night behind the scenes anyhow, besides tracking all of your wifi activity.

If you close an app you have to waste another 30 seconds to double tap the home button, press and hold the running icons for a few seconds and then quit each and every one of them unless one is continuing to suck bits for no reason when you think it is off.

You don't have to have 3g on when you use google maps. Get the map of the location you want, then turn off 3g and cell data, and your on screen location indicator will still follow you around.

Bottom line, there is an unadvertised fact of your contract with ATT that you will very likely use up 200Mb very quickly and without knowing it. Get the 2G plan and hope that ATT starts using a more clear process of interacting with the iPhone 4 that can differentiate between "system" data and data that you actually ask for, because you are going to get charged for both.

16 of 17 (1,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 3:29:45 PM
(0)
Professor

omimo wrote:

You are obviously frustrated, but clueless about what you speak of.

Having 3G enabled has no bearing on the ability to access the cellular data network.

If you want to disable cellular data, then you must do so via Setting > General > Network > Cellular Data.

EDGE and GPRS both work perfectly fine (although slowly) for accessing cellular data.

You can easily turn off your email accounts from automatically checking for new messages, this is a one time process unless you want to change it.

You can easily turn off push notification for apps in Settings, no need to toggle this unless you just want to.

Yes, some apps to transmit data for the ads displayed in them, this should be common sense if you see an app displaying an ad, the only way for it to get there is via data.

You do not have to manually kill every app after you finish with it.  Apps must be specifically written to utilize the API's that allow them to run in the background.  The majority of apps simply get paused or suspended, they do NOT run in the background.  Read this then maybe you will understand how multi-tasking in iOS works.

As for the 2G plan, that is ONLY available to the original iPhone that does not have a 3G radio.  Did you mean the 2GB data plan?  Please be specific.

omimo wrote:

You are obviously frustrated, but clueless about what you speak of.

Having 3G enabled has no bearing on the ability to access the cellular data network.

If you want to disable cellular data, then you must do so via Setting > General > Network > Cellular Data.

EDGE and GPRS both work perfectly fine (although slowly) for accessing cellular data.

You can easily turn off your email accounts from automatically checking for new messages, this is a one time process unless you want to change it.

You can easily turn off push notification for apps in Settings, no need to toggle this unless you just want to.

Yes, some apps to transmit data for the ads displayed in them, this should be common sense if you see an app displaying an ad, the only way for it to get there is via data.

You do not have to manually kill every app after you finish with it.  Apps must be specifically written to utilize the API's that allow them to run in the background.  The majority of apps simply get paused or suspended, they do NOT run in the background.  Read this then maybe you will understand how multi-tasking in iOS works.

As for the 2G plan, that is ONLY available to the original iPhone that does not have a 3G radio.  Did you mean the 2GB data plan?  Please be specific.

17 of 17 (1,949 Views)