Helpful Links

Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

Newb here who is totally enthralled with my new IPhone 4. That being said, I had a ridiculously cheap plan at Sprint at 43.xx month with unlimited data. I'm really worried about going over my 200mb a month limit. Any tips to prevent unintentional data usage? The "phantom data" threads got me paranoid.

I was also wondering how folks on the phantom data thread are finding detailed recording of their data usage?

I can only find totals on my phone. They have listings of times, etc. Is this an app or somewhere on my phone and I can't find it?

How do I verify that my phone is utilizing my home wifi connection? It says "on" under wi-fi networks and my network is checked under "choose a network"...so I'm assuming I'm good? If I'm out and about, will the phone pick up random wifi networks? How would I prevent that?

Hate to be a pain, but I didn't need to worry about my data usage with Sprint so i'm a little nervous.

TIA,

Message 1 of 17
Tutor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

This whole thread looks like ATT staffers trying to simplify the ugly truth.

You have an iPhone4, get ready for bad news. ATT is going to charge you fer every bit of data that the phone uses whether you asked for it or not. It is true, most users wouldn't use 200Mb with a little bit of care.

However, you are going to get charged anywhere from 1Mb to 60Mb unless you do drastic things like go through 30 seconds of finger swipes and screen taps to turn off 3G every time you want to be sure that you are not downloading some update.

Be sure to go through every one of your email accounts and turn off push notifications because they check constantly and rack up the bits, even when you don't have any emails.

Don't use any free apps from the AppStore. They use advertisements that you are charged for.

Apple will up and download data all day and night behind the scenes anyhow, besides tracking all of your wifi activity.

If you close an app you have to waste another 30 seconds to double tap the home button, press and hold the running icons for a few seconds and then quit each and every one of them unless one is continuing to suck bits for no reason when you think it is off.

You don't have to have 3g on when you use google maps. Get the map of the location you want, then turn off 3g and cell data, and your on screen location indicator will still follow you around.

Bottom line, there is an unadvertised fact of your contract with ATT that you will very likely use up 200Mb very quickly and without knowing it. Get the 2G plan and hope that ATT starts using a more clear process of interacting with the iPhone 4 that can differentiate between "system" data and data that you actually ask for, because you are going to get charged for both.

Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Tips to cut data usage? Newb here.

omimo wrote:

This whole thread looks like ATT staffers trying to simplify the ugly truth.

You have an iPhone4, get ready for bad news. ATT is going to charge you fer every bit of data that the phone uses whether you asked for it or not. It is true, most users wouldn't use 200Mb with a little bit of care.

However, you are going to get charged anywhere from 1Mb to 60Mb unless you do drastic things like go through 30 seconds of finger swipes and screen taps to turn off 3G every time you want to be sure that you are not downloading some update.

Be sure to go through every one of your email accounts and turn off push notifications because they check constantly and rack up the bits, even when you don't have any emails.

Don't use any free apps from the AppStore. They use advertisements that you are charged for.

Apple will up and download data all day and night behind the scenes anyhow, besides tracking all of your wifi activity.

If you close an app you have to waste another 30 seconds to double tap the home button, press and hold the running icons for a few seconds and then quit each and every one of them unless one is continuing to suck bits for no reason when you think it is off.

You don't have to have 3g on when you use google maps. Get the map of the location you want, then turn off 3g and cell data, and your on screen location indicator will still follow you around.

Bottom line, there is an unadvertised fact of your contract with ATT that you will very likely use up 200Mb very quickly and without knowing it. Get the 2G plan and hope that ATT starts using a more clear process of interacting with the iPhone 4 that can differentiate between "system" data and data that you actually ask for, because you are going to get charged for both.

You are obviously frustrated, but clueless about what you speak of.

Having 3G enabled has no bearing on the ability to access the cellular data network.

If you want to disable cellular data, then you must do so via Setting > General > Network > Cellular Data.

EDGE and GPRS both work perfectly fine (although slowly) for accessing cellular data.

You can easily turn off your email accounts from automatically checking for new messages, this is a one time process unless you want to change it.

You can easily turn off push notification for apps in Settings, no need to toggle this unless you just want to.

Yes, some apps to transmit data for the ads displayed in them, this should be common sense if you see an app displaying an ad, the only way for it to get there is via data.

You do not have to manually kill every app after you finish with it.  Apps must be specifically written to utilize the API's that allow them to run in the background.  The majority of apps simply get paused or suspended, they do NOT run in the background.  Read this then maybe you will understand how multi-tasking in iOS works.

As for the 2G plan, that is ONLY available to the original iPhone that does not have a 3G radio.  Did you mean the 2GB data plan?  Please be specific.

Message 17 of 17
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support