Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Tip: Disable Data Windows Mobile 6.5 (Disable 3G & GPRS)

Highlighted
Contributor

Tip: Disable Data Windows Mobile 6.5 (Disable 3G & GPRS)

When I travel internationally sometimes I want to be able to keep my voice phone capabilities & txt on but I do not want to be caught with unwanted international data charges.  I have lots of apps that periodically get data from the web.  It took me some time to find a clean way to turn the data (3G & GPRS) off, just while I am traveling and then turn the data back on right when I get back in the country. And yes if you have WIFI you can still access wifi.  I hope this saves someone some time.

Windows Mobile 6.5

Start > Settings> Connections> GPRS > New...

Description Disable

Connect To: The Internet

Access Point: None

Username: None

Password: None

Authentication: CHAP

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

IP Address 0.0.0.0

Select: <done>

Start > Settings> Connections> Select <Menu>

Select <Advanced>

!!!!Record your current settings!!!  So you can set them back when you want data again

Internet Connection:

Choose your newly created <Disable> network

Wap Connection:

Choose your newly created <Disable> network 

Select <Done>

You should no longer have data access!  You can test a browser or to retrieve email. You should receive an unable to connect message.

To Turn data back on:

Start > Settings> Connections> Select <Menu>

Select <Advanced>

Internet Connection:

Change the Disable back to the previous choice your recorded for me that's <MEdia Net>

Wap Connection:

Change the Disable back to the previous choice your recorded for me that's <MEdia Net>

Select <Done>

You should now have data active again!

Hope this saves someone some time.

Cheers,

David

Message 1 of 4
Contributor

Re: Tip: Disable Data Windows Mobile 6.5 (Disable 3G & GPRS)

Nice. I need this because I lost my job for a while last year and simply can't afford the data plan, as much as I would like to have kept it. I am on the use it as you go plan. and use wifi around the house and office. I also have att uverse which gets me att wifi hotspots. Good enough for now. I did notice my time stopped updating doing it your way. Did you notice that?
Message 2 of 4
Master

Be careful, make sure you check the advanced menu often. They will be randomly reset to different connections from time to time, especially if you connect to your PC via ActiveSync often.

My best bet is still find out all the programs that automatically connect and make them manually connect.

Message 3 of 4
Mentor

Strange this did not work for me on my Samsung Jack. I create a new GPRS configuraiton, and I set it as the default, but I was still able to pull up web pages when I tried the browser. It's just ridicuolous to keep getting charge for internet when I'm not really using, and they only want to remove or refund a couple dollars worth of the charges. I guess I'll try it again. And there must be something that is constantly trying to access the internet because when I tried to set a username and password as an alternative, it constantly pops up asking for it.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support