Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 5, 2010
9:34:22 PM
View profile
Tilt2 Apps

I just got a Tilt2 yesterday and this is my first smart phone I've ever had.

I feel like I have been severarly mislead reguarding apps and the Tilt2...

First off I was expecting to select from a couple thousand and It looks like it only has a couple hundred (where half of them are copies of eachother)

Secondly I was told that there were many free apps to choose from.  So I looked in the "Marketplace".

This seems to be an ok app place, it is clear about the app cost, all apps have rateings and you can read reviews.  However the selection of free apps is quite frankly pathedic.  Half the apps are personal organizers or password notepads.   Also I'm upset that I am being shown things like tic-tac-toe and a hoard of trial software as my selection of free apps.  I feel like I was told that a store had tons of free stuff only to arrive and find out that looking at stuff on the shelf is free but I must pay if I wish to take it from the store.

Anyways I also found another place that appears to have apps.  It is called the "AppCenter " witch loads up something called "MEdia Mall".   Well i actually got this to connect today and when I was looking around I accidently bought 2 apps.  It didn't even prompt me "are you sure". As soon as I saw the price I clicked cancel and next thing I know I got a text with a download link.  So i'm afraid to even browse this for fear of being randomly charged for applications I do not want.

Does this MEdia Mall actually have a good selection of apps or not?

PS.  Why is the internet browser so slow even when connected to my wifi at home?

I'm sure i'll have more questions thanks for your help.

First off I was expecting to select from a couple thousand and It looks like it only has a couple hundred (where half of them are copies of eachother)

Secondly I was told that there were many free apps to choose from.  So I looked in the "Marketplace".

This seems to be an ok app place, it is clear about the app cost, all apps have rateings and you can read reviews.  However the selection of free apps is quite frankly pathedic.  Half the apps are personal organizers or password notepads.   Also I'm upset that I am being shown things like tic-tac-toe and a hoard of trial software as my selection of free apps.  I feel like I was told that a store had tons of free stuff only to arrive and find out that looking at stuff on the shelf is free but I must pay if I wish to take it from the store.

Anyways I also found another place that appears to have apps.  It is called the "AppCenter " witch loads up something called "MEdia Mall".   Well i actually got this to connect today and when I was looking around I accidently bought 2 apps.  It didn't even prompt me "are you sure". As soon as I saw the price I clicked cancel and next thing I know I got a text with a download link.  So i'm afraid to even browse this for fear of being randomly charged for applications I do not want.

PS.  Why is the internet browser so slow even when connected to my wifi at home?

I'm sure i'll have more questions thanks for your help.

Tilt2 Apps

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 10:44:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Check out www.handango.com. The apps arn't as cheap as the iphone but there are thousands there.

Check out www.handango.com. The apps arn't as cheap as the iphone but there are thousands there.

Re: Tilt2 Apps

2 of 13 (8,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 11:44:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by bolt986 on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:58:58 PM

Thanks for the link,

I managed to find a pandora.com app.  I found a .cab file online downloaded it to my memory card then installed it on the phone.  I'm quite satisfied with that =)

Question 1: When i'm searching for apps online do I need to specify that my phone is a "Tilt 2"? Or just that i'm using Windows Mobile 6.5?

Question 2: Are programs written for desktop windows compatable with Windows Mobile 6.5?  I was looking to see if I could download VLC for Windows Mobile 6.5 and it appears that mobile phone version has been in production.

Question 3: Does the tilt2 have a compass? I'm talking about a real compass not one simulated with gps.  I am really really wanting something like google sky map

of course without a compass my phone couldn't do it and I should just give up on that particular one =(

Question 4: What are the ROMs being refered to in the mobile context?  It doesn't appear as if they are using it to mean "Read-Only Memory" nor are they talking about emulator games..

Question 5: I have set up my phone to connect to my wireless modem while at home.  Is there a way to enable it to do networkwork file shareing?

Thanks again

Message Edited by bolt986 on 01-05-2010 11:45:06 PM
Message Edited by bolt986 on 01-05-2010 11:58:58 PM

Thanks for the link,

I managed to find a pandora.com app.  I found a .cab file online downloaded it to my memory card then installed it on the phone.  I'm quite satisfied with that =)

Question 1: When i'm searching for apps online do I need to specify that my phone is a "Tilt 2"? Or just that i'm using Windows Mobile 6.5?

Question 2: Are programs written for desktop windows compatable with Windows Mobile 6.5?  I was looking to see if I could download VLC for Windows Mobile 6.5 and it appears that mobile phone version has been in production.

Question 3: Does the tilt2 have a compass? I'm talking about a real compass not one simulated with gps.  I am really really wanting something like google sky map

of course without a compass my phone couldn't do it and I should just give up on that particular one =(

Question 4: What are the ROMs being refered to in the mobile context?  It doesn't appear as if they are using it to mean "Read-Only Memory" nor are they talking about emulator games..

Question 5: I have set up my phone to connect to my wireless modem while at home.  Is there a way to enable it to do networkwork file shareing?

Thanks again

Message Edited by bolt986 on 01-05-2010 11:45:06 PM
Message Edited by bolt986 on 01-05-2010 11:58:58 PM

[ Edited ]
3 of 13 (8,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 6:08:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wow...lots of questions there...lets see....

#1   --   Pretty much just look for anything thats made for WinMo 6.5.  Some apps "may" be designed for specific phones, but they are few and far between.

#2   --  Yes and no. Some software is made for both desktops and mobile, but desktop software will not install on a mobile. VLC...the media software? Its out there, and so is VNC, in case you meant that.

#3   --   I'm thinking no, but could be wrong.

#4   --   ROMs in the mobile world are describing "images" of the full data load for the device. So the ROMs will include the OS and all programs, in a ready and installed state.

#5   --   Yes, as some other phone has said, "There is an app for that"  Total Commander  is one that allows network browsing. But there are better ones.

Wow...lots of questions there...lets see....

#1   --   Pretty much just look for anything thats made for WinMo 6.5.  Some apps "may" be designed for specific phones, but they are few and far between.

#2   --  Yes and no. Some software is made for both desktops and mobile, but desktop software will not install on a mobile. VLC...the media software? Its out there, and so is VNC, in case you meant that.

#3   --   I'm thinking no, but could be wrong.

#4   --   ROMs in the mobile world are describing "images" of the full data load for the device. So the ROMs will include the OS and all programs, in a ready and installed state.

#5   --   Yes, as some other phone has said, "There is an app for that"  Total Commander  is one that allows network browsing. But there are better ones.

4 of 13 (8,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 6:50:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Nope, the Tilt 2 absolutely does NOT have a real compass.
Nope, the Tilt 2 absolutely does NOT have a real compass.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (8,365 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 7:08:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bolt986 wrote:

Exactly who do you feel "severely misled" you?  Microsoft never claimed to have thousands of apps in the Marketplace.  There are thousands of apps for Windows Mobile, but they are mostly scattered on places like Handango, MW Marketplace, XDA, and tons of other places.  There is lots of good free stuff around too.  Its not unified as the iPhone App Store, and not as many high quality apps/games. But there is lots of stuff out there.  

Look here for some recommendations (Rhodium, Touch Pro 2, and Tilt 2 are all names for the same phone):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=550973

I do agree that the MS Marketplace has been a big disappointment compared to all the claims MS was making prior to launch.  There are just a few hundred apps, lots of low quality stuff, and and lots of things there were previously available elsewhere.

bolt986 wrote:

Completely agree that the ATT Media Mall is a terrible app store,and a complete joke.  The interface is terrible, and its layed out for a lower resolution display, so everything is tiny on the Tilt2, to the point of being unusable.  Also agree that the lack of purchase confirmation is a big issue.  I did the same thing, accidentally purchasing a game while trying to find out how much it cost.  There is some okay stuff on there, but you can find them elsewhere.  I suggest never using the Media Mall ever again, which is what I did.

bolt986 wrote:

Exactly who do you feel "severely misled" you?  Microsoft never claimed to have thousands of apps in the Marketplace.  There are thousands of apps for Windows Mobile, but they are mostly scattered on places like Handango, MW Marketplace, XDA, and tons of other places.  There is lots of good free stuff around too.  Its not unified as the iPhone App Store, and not as many high quality apps/games. But there is lots of stuff out there.  

Look here for some recommendations (Rhodium, Touch Pro 2, and Tilt 2 are all names for the same phone):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=550973

I do agree that the MS Marketplace has been a big disappointment compared to all the claims MS was making prior to launch.  There are just a few hundred apps, lots of low quality stuff, and and lots of things there were previously available elsewhere.

bolt986 wrote:

Completely agree that the ATT Media Mall is a terrible app store,and a complete joke.  The interface is terrible, and its layed out for a lower resolution display, so everything is tiny on the Tilt2, to the point of being unusable.  Also agree that the lack of purchase confirmation is a big issue.  I did the same thing, accidentally purchasing a game while trying to find out how much it cost.  There is some okay stuff on there, but you can find them elsewhere.  I suggest never using the Media Mall ever again, which is what I did.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 13 (8,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2010 6:00:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks circuitdragon and redpoint7 you guys are making this a much easier process.  Quite frankly I feel technologically ignororant when it comes to this phone, and having a degree in Computer Science that bugs me ha ha.

I'll defently check out the "Total Commander" and/or look for those better ones.

I checked out Handango as suggested and downloaded a few apps.  Most were .cabs but a I had one that was a .exe and one that was a .zip.  I havn't tried installing them yet.

circuitdragon, I wouldn't say anyone specifically lead me to belive that the app market was hugh.  I was shopping for an droid phone before but decided not to switch carriors.  The sales rep there kinda agreed that, yes the iphone has tons and tons of apps but there are just alot of really stupid ones.  When i told an AT&T rep that one of the reasons I was looking at a droid was I liked that is uses an Open source OS and most the apps are free.   Inwhich my responce was "there are many free apps for this phone too".  Guess I shouldn't rely to heavly on the word of someone who I have to explain what open source means.

Also I had stumbled on that xda site while searching and that is where I downloaded the pandora app.  I was rather confused by the many names the phone has.

Anyways I think I will agree to never use the MediaMall again.  I first called the local office about it to see if I had a charge, then later the customer support line.  Neither person I talked to acted like this had happened to anyone in the past.  I was beginning to think that i'm dyslesic or soemthing, cause a part of me thinks.  No way, surely they would require at least one conformation before the purchase is made.  Well i'm glad to hear someone else shares my frustration with that app.

Well here are my current questions.

Question 6:  Can I reorganize the homescreen? (the one I see after i press start).  New apps I have installed appear at the bottom.  There is stuff there I will never use (cough AppCenter).  And there is other stuff in sub menus that I would like to move to the front page like the Calculator, FM radio and File explorer.

Question 7:  I have searched for this a bit without luck.  But I would like a 'bar code scanner' app.  I've had friends show apps they have where they can take a picture of a barcode.  Then the phone can pull up the item on amazon or something, or tell you what it is.

Once again, Good luck and thanks for all the fish!

Thanks circuitdragon and redpoint7 you guys are making this a much easier process.  Quite frankly I feel technologically ignororant when it comes to this phone, and having a degree in Computer Science that bugs me ha ha.

I'll defently check out the "Total Commander" and/or look for those better ones.

I checked out Handango as suggested and downloaded a few apps.  Most were .cabs but a I had one that was a .exe and one that was a .zip.  I havn't tried installing them yet.

circuitdragon, I wouldn't say anyone specifically lead me to belive that the app market was hugh.  I was shopping for an droid phone before but decided not to switch carriors.  The sales rep there kinda agreed that, yes the iphone has tons and tons of apps but there are just alot of really stupid ones.  When i told an AT&T rep that one of the reasons I was looking at a droid was I liked that is uses an Open source OS and most the apps are free.   Inwhich my responce was "there are many free apps for this phone too".  Guess I shouldn't rely to heavly on the word of someone who I have to explain what open source means.

Also I had stumbled on that xda site while searching and that is where I downloaded the pandora app.  I was rather confused by the many names the phone has.

Anyways I think I will agree to never use the MediaMall again.  I first called the local office about it to see if I had a charge, then later the customer support line.  Neither person I talked to acted like this had happened to anyone in the past.  I was beginning to think that i'm dyslesic or soemthing, cause a part of me thinks.  No way, surely they would require at least one conformation before the purchase is made.  Well i'm glad to hear someone else shares my frustration with that app.

Well here are my current questions.

Question 6:  Can I reorganize the homescreen? (the one I see after i press start).  New apps I have installed appear at the bottom.  There is stuff there I will never use (cough AppCenter).  And there is other stuff in sub menus that I would like to move to the front page like the Calculator, FM radio and File explorer.

Question 7:  I have searched for this a bit without luck.  But I would like a 'bar code scanner' app.  I've had friends show apps they have where they can take a picture of a barcode.  Then the phone can pull up the item on amazon or something, or tell you what it is.

Once again, Good luck and thanks for all the fish!

7 of 13 (8,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2010 7:09:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:16:48 AM

Total Commander (or similar) is a must have. The file manager is better than the built-in File Manager in WM.  Plus, it has a registry editor for when you are ready for that. Advanced Config is a good free utility to have too, which lets you tweak many settings on the phone which would otherwise require registry edits.

Be wary of what ATT store employees tell you, they often don't know much.  I guess I should at least be impressed that he actually steered you to the Tilt2, instead of railroading you toward the iPhone (which seems to often be the case based on comments on these forums). In all fairness, he is correct that there are lots of apps for WM.  But as I said before, there is tons of stuff to wade through, lots of it is low quality, or might not be useful for you, and its scattered amongst different stores and other websites.  The XDA page I linked earlier is a good starting point.

Question 6:  WM has limited ability to reorganize icons in the Start Menu.  If you touch and hold on an icon, it will give you the option to "Move to Top", sometimes "Move to Bottom" (if its on the top), and that's it.  Its very annoying.  And if you try this in a sub-folder, it will move it to the top of the main folder, not the sub folder.  Luckily, there is user made programs that work much better to sort the icons.  I use JWMD Icon Changer, which lets you move the icons and even change the icons (obviously, as the name suggests) for the .lnk shortcuts.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=567080

If you want to remove an icon from the Start Menu, you can just use File Manager or Total Commander to remove the .lnk shortcuts from the directory:  Windows>Start Menu>Programs.  You can also create new folders and move the links around, to better organize your Start Menu.

Question 7:  Haven't seen anything like this for WM, so can't help you there.

Edit:  just did a quick search, and found this on on XDA.  Take a look and see if its similar to what you are looking for.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=368798

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-07-2010 07:12:42 AM
Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-07-2010 07:16:48 AM

Total Commander (or similar) is a must have. The file manager is better than the built-in File Manager in WM.  Plus, it has a registry editor for when you are ready for that. Advanced Config is a good free utility to have too, which lets you tweak many settings on the phone which would otherwise require registry edits.

Be wary of what ATT store employees tell you, they often don't know much.  I guess I should at least be impressed that he actually steered you to the Tilt2, instead of railroading you toward the iPhone (which seems to often be the case based on comments on these forums). In all fairness, he is correct that there are lots of apps for WM.  But as I said before, there is tons of stuff to wade through, lots of it is low quality, or might not be useful for you, and its scattered amongst different stores and other websites.  The XDA page I linked earlier is a good starting point.

Question 6:  WM has limited ability to reorganize icons in the Start Menu.  If you touch and hold on an icon, it will give you the option to "Move to Top", sometimes "Move to Bottom" (if its on the top), and that's it.  Its very annoying.  And if you try this in a sub-folder, it will move it to the top of the main folder, not the sub folder.  Luckily, there is user made programs that work much better to sort the icons.  I use JWMD Icon Changer, which lets you move the icons and even change the icons (obviously, as the name suggests) for the .lnk shortcuts.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=567080

If you want to remove an icon from the Start Menu, you can just use File Manager or Total Commander to remove the .lnk shortcuts from the directory:  Windows>Start Menu>Programs.  You can also create new folders and move the links around, to better organize your Start Menu.

Question 7:  Haven't seen anything like this for WM, so can't help you there.

Edit:  just did a quick search, and found this on on XDA.  Take a look and see if its similar to what you are looking for.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=368798

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-07-2010 07:12:42 AM
Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-07-2010 07:16:48 AM

[ Edited ]
8 of 13 (8,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2010 11:19:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

9 of 13 (8,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2010 8:25:49 PM
(0)
Explorer

While I can't completely relate with your experience I think I know what you’re expecting and looking for.  I got my Tilt2 just before Christmas and I love it.  This is coming from someone who went from Tilt to Tilt 2, actually from 8125 to Tilt to Tilt 2. 

If this is your first smart phone and your looking for more of a beginners interface I would highly recommend SPB Mobile Shell 3.x.  This is a purchase, but if you create a handango account they will occasionally send you discount emails.  List is $30US.  This shell is easy to use and very finger friendly.  This is my first experience with TF3D and I went ahead and loaded my Tilt Mobile Shell over it.  There is also a freeware app at www.freewarepocketpc.net that allows you to switch back and forth between Mobile Shell and TF3D. 

Also, you have an open platform with your WM device.  My wife has the Iphone and while it’s much easier to use, there is little or no customization available unless you jailbreak it.  And given your original post, I am guessing that jailbreaking an Iphone might be a stretch. So relax and enjoy your new phone.  As you become more familiar with the WM community you’ll find enough apps to keep you happy.  Someone else posted a phrase like this and I think it hit the spot:  If you like to customize and tweak then WM is for you, if you don’t, return it and get an Iphone.

While I can't completely relate with your experience I think I know what you’re expecting and looking for.  I got my Tilt2 just before Christmas and I love it.  This is coming from someone who went from Tilt to Tilt 2, actually from 8125 to Tilt to Tilt 2. 

If this is your first smart phone and your looking for more of a beginners interface I would highly recommend SPB Mobile Shell 3.x.  This is a purchase, but if you create a handango account they will occasionally send you discount emails.  List is $30US.  This shell is easy to use and very finger friendly.  This is my first experience with TF3D and I went ahead and loaded my Tilt Mobile Shell over it.  There is also a freeware app at www.freewarepocketpc.net that allows you to switch back and forth between Mobile Shell and TF3D. 

Also, you have an open platform with your WM device.  My wife has the Iphone and while it’s much easier to use, there is little or no customization available unless you jailbreak it.  And given your original post, I am guessing that jailbreaking an Iphone might be a stretch. So relax and enjoy your new phone.  As you become more familiar with the WM community you’ll find enough apps to keep you happy.  Someone else posted a phrase like this and I think it hit the spot:  If you like to customize and tweak then WM is for you, if you don’t, return it and get an Iphone.

10 of 13 (8,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2010 8:45:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Can you put the Pandora cab up.  I've tried one and can't get it to work correctly.  
Can you put the Pandora cab up.  I've tried one and can't get it to work correctly.  

11 of 13 (2,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2010 5:15:20 AM
(0)
Teacher
bolt986 wrote: 

After a quick google I came up with this, not sure if it is what you are looking for, or if it works on WM 6.5. Read through the thread it may contain the answer.

Also I have used the Windows program called TagReader, it uses the camera to read "tags" on a package or product and takes you directly to their website. It can also be used to quickly download somebodies contact data, I believe. I have only played with this for a bit, and creating tags was easy and they worked everytime. I can definately see this being a useful tool if it catches on.

bolt986 wrote: 

After a quick google I came up with this, not sure if it is what you are looking for, or if it works on WM 6.5. Read through the thread it may contain the answer.

Also I have used the Windows program called TagReader, it uses the camera to read "tags" on a package or product and takes you directly to their website. It can also be used to quickly download somebodies contact data, I believe. I have only played with this for a bit, and creating tags was easy and they worked everytime. I can definately see this being a useful tool if it catches on.

12 of 13 (2,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2010 10:38:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kerrins wrote:

For the Tilt2?

Here is what you want (the CAB in post #16 of the thread)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542581&page=2

The buttons are very small (a WVGA resolution-friendly version is not yet available).  But aside from that, it works perfectly on the Tilt2.

kerrins wrote:

For the Tilt2?

Here is what you want (the CAB in post #16 of the thread)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542581&page=2

The buttons are very small (a WVGA resolution-friendly version is not yet available).  But aside from that, it works perfectly on the Tilt2.

13 of 13 (2,429 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments