Tilt 2 and youtube

Tutor

Tilt 2 and youtube

Has anyone been able to get onto youtube through Opera or IE? I have skyfire but I don't really like the quality of the browser when it plays youtube videos. I already tried calling tech support and they have no clue they just told me that there are some phones that are unable to work with youtube. Please let me me know. Thanks!!
Message 1 of 39 (14,422 Views)
Mentor

Re: Tilt 2 and youtube

Okay everyone, changing the default ROM registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\YouTubeSmiley TongueroxyName does not survive a soft reset. Honestly, I'm not sure it even took a reset to change back to the default value.

Any ideas on how to prevent the registry key from reverting to its default value? If that's not possible, is there an easy way to run a cab at startup to make the change automatically?

Message 16 of 39 (7,428 Views)
Tutor

I can copy but not paste. Any ideas? Wonder if my firmware/software needs updating? Lots of littel bugs on this device.
Message 17 of 39 (7,405 Views)
Mentor

As I mentioned earlier, the Tilt 2 OEM ROM includes a pretty cool YouTube app located in the Windows directory. However, sometimes it would work, and sometimes it would time out on attempting to connect to play the movie.

Here's what I learned while getting the HTC YouTube application included in the OEM AT&T ROM to work perfectly.

The value in the registry needs to be modified:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\YouTube
ProxyName = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

This value is intermittently restored, so it is nececssary to change a few others to prevent that.

The value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SUN\JVM\PRELOADAPP
proxy = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

The value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{EF097F4C-DC4B-4c98-8FF6-AEF805DC0E8E}\HTTP-{436EF144-B4FB-4863-A041-8F905A62C572}
Proxy = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

The value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apps\Esmertec Java\Properties
com.sun.midp.io.http.proxy = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

Changing these three values will prevent the YouTube proxy from being restored. However, this will prevent the Opera Browser from connecting when the phone is connected via Wi-Fi. In order to fix this, the value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Defaults
ByPassProxyForNonGPRS = 1 (default value) needs to be changed to 0.

These changes have been in place on my phone now for more than 24 hours and have survived several resets, power cycles, and tower changes.

Good luck and enjoy the included YouTube app without a hitch!

-Vendetta

Message 18 of 39 (7,262 Views)
Mentor

I initially downloaded YouTube app from  m.google.com, along with Google maps- shortly after i acquird it through premier account (oct15). via IE (not Opera).  It worked right away with no hitches.  Few days later  I learned that there was a hidden app in the start menu- and proceeded to transfer tehm to the sotrage car and opened the cab  from there- and it prompted me that it will replace the existing youtube (and googlemap) app.  It hasnt failed to perform at all to this day.

Message 19 of 39 (7,205 Views)
Contributor

I cannot figure out how to paste the youtube application from the bottom of File Explorer scroll, either.  When I tap and hold on either of the two icons, I get the menu pop-up and then select Copy, but when I go to the Start Menu|Programs folder and tap and hold, no Paste option appears. 

I've got to be doing something wrong, but I've searched everywhere I can think of, and can't find help on this.  

Please enlighten.  

Thanks.

Message 20 of 39 (6,835 Views)
Professor

Try installing Total Commander to copy and paste the YouTube link.  Its a very useful file manager (more versatile and faster than the built-in File Explorer), and also lets you edit the registry. A great program to have installed.

http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm

Message 21 of 39 (4,229 Views)
Professor

Vendetta wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, the Tilt 2 OEM ROM includes a pretty cool YouTube app located in the Windows directory. However, sometimes it would work, and sometimes it would time out on attempting to connect to play the movie.

Here's what I learned while getting the HTC YouTube application included in the OEM AT&T ROM to work perfectly.

The value in the registry needs to be modified:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\YouTube
ProxyName = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

This value is intermittently restored, so it is nececssary to change a few others to prevent that.

The value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SUN\JVM\PRELOADAPP
proxy = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

The value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{EF097F4C-DC4B-4c98-8FF6-AEF805DC0E8E}\HTTP-{436EF144-B4FB-4863-A041-8F905A62C572}
Proxy = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

The value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apps\Esmertec Java\Properties
com.sun.midp.io.http.proxy = wireless.cingular.com:80 (default value) needs to be replaced with [BLANK].

Changing these three values will prevent the YouTube proxy from being restored. However, this will prevent the Opera Browser from connecting when the phone is connected via Wi-Fi. In order to fix this, the value at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Defaults
ByPassProxyForNonGPRS = 1 (default value) needs to be changed to 0.

These changes have been in place on my phone now for more than 24 hours and have survived several resets, power cycles, and tower changes.

Good luck and enjoy the included YouTube app without a hitch!

-Vendetta

Nice, thanks for figuring this out and posting it.

The Disable Proxy CAB allowed the YouTube App to work for me, but the proxy would be restored after every soft reset.

I'm going to give this a try.

Message 22 of 39 (4,222 Views)
Mentor

Once you are in the startmenu-> programs folder, try selecting Menu -> Edit and then paste.  It should work. 

Bjornfree wrote:

I cannot figure out how to paste the youtube application from the bottom of File Explorer scroll, either.  When I tap and hold on either of the two icons, I get the menu pop-up and then select Copy, but when I go to the Start Menu|Programs folder and tap and hold, no Paste option appears. 

I've got to be doing something wrong, but I've searched everywhere I can think of, and can't find help on this.  

Please enlighten.  

Thanks.

Message 23 of 39 (4,179 Views)
Contributor

Thanks much.  There are too many ways to do things in WM6.5, and too little documentation. 
Message 24 of 39 (4,149 Views)
Contributor

Someone pointed out how to do this within the WM OS, but the app looks powerful.  Thanks.
Message 25 of 39 (4,147 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Bjornfree wrote:
Someone pointed out how to do this within the WM OS, but the app looks powerful.  Thanks.

Total Commander is faster too.  The built-in Files Exlorer will usually hang for a long time when I try to open the Windows directory, sometimes indefinitaly.  Total Commander responds much faster.  It takes a couple seconds to open the Windows directory, but a huge improvement.

Message 26 of 39 (4,122 Views)

So is the Youtube app that comes with the Tilt 2 any different than the one that you can get from Google? I just installed the one that Google offers, and that one works great without me having to deal with any proxy settings, etc..

The only thing I wish that app had was the ability for me to log in and be able to go to my favorites, or see my subscriptions, etc..

Message 27 of 39 (3,790 Views)
Scholar

i have a question reguading this subject and didnt want to create another thread

been through several roms at this point so i dont know which rom i was using when i noticed that when i went to youtube through opera it i was redirected to m.youtube.com or something like that. anyways when i clicked on "watch video" some other app came came up on my screen and played the video.

now when i click on watch video nothing happens.

again i have been through several roms and serveral differnet versions of opera, but i would like this feature back

any input?

Message 28 of 39 (3,731 Views)

Well, I'm not sure what rom you were using, but how that operated does make a lot of sense.

I did check and found out that the 'hidden' Youtube app that comes with the Tilt 2 is a better version that the one Google offers. It still does not allow you to login and access your favorites or subscriptions, but it does show videos in a much higher quality and allows you to select various channels, etc...

I don't think it's meant to be hidden, I think it's meant to be there to make up for the fact that watching Youtube in a tiny little window in the browser would be pointless, so a Youtube app is provided to allow for fullscreen functionality.

There are probably some factory default settings in the registry somewhere that sets it up just how you described it - that when you click on a Yotube video in Opera, it takes you to the mobile version of youtube (that part I'm not sure why) and then launches the Youtube program that comes with the Tilt 2 itself to play the actual video.

Hope that made some sense.

Message 29 of 39 (3,720 Views)
Scholar

well, it does make some sense, but the app that automaticaly opened and played the video was "streaming media", or atleast i think, based on the gui of both situations.

what is this called when one program opens up another, in this instance....opera opens streaming media when i click on "watch video"

i have a hard time researching things that i dont know how to describe...lol

thanks

Message 30 of 39 (3,690 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.