Ask a question

Posted Mar 18, 2010
3:09:55 PM
View profile
Tilt 2 - Signal/Reception quality HIGHLY sucks!

I used to have the Motorola Q9H with AT&T before I switched to the Tilt 2. With my Q9H I had great signal at my house, in my room. Almost full bars all the time. Now I noticed I'm always losing the signal with my Tilt 2! How could this be?! Same service, same room nothing has changed besides the phone! Unbelievable! Is there any tweak/hack/registry edit, something!, that will edit maybe how often the device updates the signal it picks up, the frequency, etc.

Any suggestions anyone?

Maria Smiley Sad

~Maria Sent via Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket

Tilt 2 - Signal/Reception quality HIGHLY sucks!

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2010 5:27:38 PM
(0)
Guru
Are you actually losing your signal as in you are unable to use the phone?  Or, are you just comparing the two signal indicators against each other?  Comparing the signal indicators of two different devices is not a good comparison.  The only true comparison is to USE the device and compare that way.

Re: Tilt 2 - Signal/Reception quality HIGHLY sucks!

2 of 16 (3,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2010 4:45:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
You can try updating the radio on the phone, but its not advisable if you don't know what you're doing.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (3,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 4:41:19 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by tsmith154 on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:44:19 AM

I am having the same problem.  I had the HTC Pure but swaped it with the HTC Tilt 2 because the internet service was way to slow but I must say the reception was flawless; I never had any loss anywhere, even in a elevator in a basement!.  I switched to the HTC Tilt 2 and the reception is crazy bad.  I am in all the same location as I was with the pure and I am finding I have no reception.  My co-workers have great reception sitting right next to me.  Anyone have any ideas.  Could it just be my phone and not the model?

My co-workers have I-Phone, Black Berry.

[ Edited ]
4 of 16 (3,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 10:05:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have the Tilt 2 and the reception is very good when compared against my extensive prior history of HTC phones on AT&T. There may be something wrong with your phone. 

5 of 16 (3,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 10:52:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

redpoint73 wrote:
You can try updating the radio on the phone, but its not advisable if you don't know what you're doing.

This is fair advice, however, you will be sailing into (somewhat) uncharted waters.  Charted by many others yes but it will be a new journey for you.

I flashed a new Radio in my Tilt 2 and have personally experienced what I feel to be better signal quality, and faster GPS locks.

Flashing "unauthorized" software to your phone requires some basic knowledge of operating system mechanics, how active sync works, etc.

Without going into many details, I can only recommend that if someone is interested in this that they google "XDA Rhodium" and go to the Rom Development section and read the "newbie" posts concerning HardSPL and new ROM flashing.

6 of 16 (3,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2010 12:27:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did talk to at&t support and they sent out another phone to try and I experienced the same results.  I surfed the web today and found out the Pure I had has the same radio as my tilt 2.  The two phones have very different reception...

7 of 16 (2,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2010 12:39:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is this correct?  I have to flash a hard spl first than the new radio.

I like what I hear about new roms that get rid of the bloat and are talked about speeding up the phone.  If this is correct then I would need to flash a hard spl first, the new rom second, and finally the radio third.

Am I upside down with my information?

This rom seems to be the most talked about.  http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2782 

This radio seems to have high hopes. 4.49.25.91

What would be the hard spl to flash.

Stock with my phone is:

rom: 1.59.502.3 (67150) WWE

Rom date: 09/25/09

Radio version: 4.48.25.20

Protocol ersion: 61.39tc.25.30H

Htc-ST 7377

8 of 16 (2,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2010 10:13:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:19:53 AM

Everything you need to flash a new ROM is on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=490

What you said is basically all correct.  First you need to HardSPL.  Otherwise, you cannot flash any non-ATT ROM (HardSPL unlocks the vendor lock on flashing ROMs).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=550540

Next (optional, but highly recommended), Task29, which formats/wipes the RAM so no fragments of the old ROM remain to mess up the new one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=649191

Flash the new ROM.  I'm not familiar with the one you posted.  Energy ROM is very popular.  Its what I flashed, and I've been very happy with it.  The cook that creates the ROM decides what software is packed in.  But usually, they are pretty lightweight, and only include useful things that you would install anyway (reg editor, RAM cleaners, browsers, Google Maps, etc).  So indeed, they use less storage memory, less program memory, and a good custom ROM will be faster and stable than stock.   I love how the Energy ROM looks, functionality, speed, and stability.  Its up to you to look through the various ROMs on the forum and see which ones match your needs and aesthetics.  But I doubt you will be disappointed in the Energy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=562773

Lastly, flash the radio.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=549939

Read the instructions and FAQs before you flash.   There is a small possibility you will brick your phone.  But its highly unlikely as long as you follow the instructions carefully.

Also be aware that some people report isolated random issues with various ROMs on the various models of the Tilt2/Touch Pro2.  For instance some people have had issues with Bluetooth, speakerphone, and MMS on the Energy ROM and the ATT Tilt2.  But it seems isolated, and maybe unlikely.  I was completely free of any of these issues, and Bluetooth, speakerphone, MMS all work perfectly.  Its always good to read at least the last couple pages of the ROM thread you are thinking of flashing, since this is where users post bugs, plus their carrier, radio, etc.  Worst case, you can return to the factory ROM if you don't like the results you get on the custom one.

Good luck.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
9 of 16 (2,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2010 10:26:52 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Edited by Caretaker on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:28:01 AM

redpoint73 wrote:

Everything you need to flash a new ROM is on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=490

What you said is basically all correct.  First you need to HardSPL.  Otherwise, you cannot flash any non-ATT ROM (HardSPL unlocks the vendor lock on flashing ROMs).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=550540

Next (optional, but highly recommended), Task29, which formats/wipes the RAM so no fragments of the old ROM remain to mess up the new one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=649191

Flash the new ROM.  I'm not familiar with the one you posted.  Energy ROM is very popular.  Its what I flashed, and I've been very happy with it.  The cook that creates the ROM decides what software is packed in.  But usually, they are pretty lightweight, and only include useful things that you would install anyway (reg editor, RAM cleaners, browsers, Google Maps, etc).  So indeed, they use less storage memory, less program memory, and a good custom ROM will be faster and stable than stock.   I love how the Energy ROM looks, functionality, speed, and stability.  Its up to you to look through the various ROMs on the forum and see which ones match your needs and aesthetics.  But I doubt you will be disappointed in the Energy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=562773

Lastly, flash the radio.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=549939

Read the instructions and FAQs before you flash.   There is a small possibility you will brick your phone.  But its highly unlikely as long as you follow the instructions carefully.

Also be aware that some people report isolated random issues with various ROMs on the various models of the Tilt2/Touch Pro2.  For instance some people have had issues with Bluetooth, speakerphone, and MMS on the Energy ROM and the ATT Tilt2.  But it seems isolated, and maybe unlikely.  I was completely free of any of these issues, and Bluetooth, speakerphone, MMS all work perfectly.  Its always good to read at least the last couple pages of the ROM thread you are thinking of flashing, since this is where users post bugs, plus their carrier, radio, etc.  Worst case, you can return to the factory ROM if you don't like the results you get on the custom one.

Good luck.

Be careful. Most people are happy to help out on these Forums, but remember that their advice is theirs only and that you are responsible for deciding whether or not to follow it. Take caution before downloading software to or for your handset, as it could potentially damage your device or void your warranty.

[ Edited ]
10 of 16 (2,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2010 10:32:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Saw the moderator disclaimer coming from a mile away . . .

11 of 16 (1,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 3:40:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

That is great help.  Thanks for taking your time to explain.  I followed your information and I have flashed rohdiium hard spl.  I hope I spelled the hard spl name correct.  I have tried different radios now and have found nothing better than the one that is stock. 4.48.25.20  I will try some more.

I have tried to flash some roms but so far the response is this rom is not compatable with my phone.  Do you think it is my hard spl? I flashed.  Is there different ones that allow different roms?

Again thanks for your help Smiley Very Happy

12 of 16 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 3:48:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

Forgot to mention. 

No worries about the warnings.  You should see my desk top computers.  I have over clocked the blank out of them.  I even made a aluminum block and milled it to press fit onto my cpu.  This allowed me to flow water with  direct contact with the chip.  I than ran the heated water through a car heator core (radiator) with a fan to cool.  I have about five fans externally powered for other parts.  Of course I have all other major hot chips liquid cooled.  Talk about some over clocking with no heat problems. 

Any way you can see I like pushing to the limit and I am not scared of burning up some stuff.  It is all fun to me. 

13 of 16 (1,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 2:23:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

I noticed the same thing with my Tilt2. It's rare to have a solid, consistant signal. Usually it's a constant up and down, often without the '3g' icon, and at times down to edge. One rep I asked about this said it was due the nature of the signals, like a wave where the signal fluctuates, Really didn't believe her, since other forms of waves (radio) tend to lock in a bit, not constantly change....Also doesn't really explain why one device is superior to another.

14 of 16 (1,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 6:03:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by tsmith154 on Jun 6, 2010 at 6:13:50 PM

I agree with you.  I had a pure and it ran on the same frequency my tilt 2 ran on.  The pure phone would get a solid signal anywhere I went.  I am talking the worst cast situation; in the basement of my work place, in a elevator, down in the basement in the elevator.  I could even get fm radio signals with no distortion with that phone; anywhere.  Now the tilt 2, yikes! What signal.

I think it is with in the hardware configuration.  Something shielding  a part that should not be.  Of course it is not shielded intentionally or understood how it is being shielded.  That is my opinion or guess.

So far I have never hear of any confident fixes from the people with this problem yet.  I don't believe there will be. If I find a frequency that gives me confident improvement I will post it here.

On last thing.   I did find some roms I was able to flash and have had serious improvement with the internet speed.  I was very surprised to see this happen.  I know people talk about it but had a hard time believing it, since I don't understand why the people who put the stock software together for this phone would knowingly hurt the performance of the phone.  I would rather have a well working machine running at its best ability vs allot of stuff and a bogged down machine.

[ Edited ]
15 of 16 (1,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 5:28:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

tsmith154 wrote:

That is great help.  Thanks for taking your time to explain.  I followed your information and I have flashed rohdiium hard spl.  I hope I spelled the hard spl name correct.  I have tried different radios now and have found nothing better than the one that is stock. 4.48.25.20  I will try some more.

I have tried to flash some roms but so far the response is this rom is not compatable with my phone.  Do you think it is my hard spl? I flashed.  Is there different ones that allow different roms?

Again thanks for your help Smiley Very Happy

Over at XDA, Radio 4.49.25.91 seems to be popular.  I'm still on stock myself, since it works just fine for me.

Sounds from your later post that you figured out the flashing issue.  What was the solution?  The HardSPL which I linked on the XDA site should work with any ROMs.

16 of 16 (1,708 Views)