Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 21, 2012
7:11:47 AM
Throttling - Retaliation for iMessage?

Could this data throttling idea have come up with the introduction of iMessage, skirting normal text messages, and likely expanding to other phone platforms over time, probably taking away that extremely lucrative text message peddling business?

Could this data throttling idea have come up with the introduction of iMessage, skirting normal text messages, and likely expanding to other phone platforms over time, probably taking away that extremely lucrative text message peddling business?

Throttling - Retaliation for iMessage?

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 7:23:08 AM
(0)
Expert

Felixderkater wrote:

doubt it, there are already hundreds of messaging apps that are out there that do the exact same thing, Apple did not invent or discover the idea, they just wrote the app that only runs on IOS5. The other apps have been around longer then the Iphones has been in existance

Felixderkater wrote:

doubt it, there are already hundreds of messaging apps that are out there that do the exact same thing, Apple did not invent or discover the idea, they just wrote the app that only runs on IOS5. The other apps have been around longer then the Iphones has been in existance

Re: Throttling - Retaliation for iMessage?

2 of 15 (1,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 8:32:35 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Blackberry messanger was arond for years.

Blackberry messanger was arond for years.

3 of 15 (1,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2012 8:17:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

CNET seems to have thought in a similar fashion...  I was just a bit late to the party.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20117904-94/free-texts-to-hurt-carriers-bottom-line/

CNET seems to have thought in a similar fashion...  I was just a bit late to the party.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20117904-94/free-texts-to-hurt-carriers-bottom-line/

4 of 15 (946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 3:42:40 AM
(0)
Expert

Felixderkater wrote:

Per the article it is only affecting the number of texting plans that are avaialble - most, if not all carriers are in the process of eliminating all the lower cost texting options and going to a single unlimited texting plan. The amount of data even 10,000 or even 100,000 texts would consumre doesn;t even make a blip on the data usage meter.

Felixderkater wrote:

Per the article it is only affecting the number of texting plans that are avaialble - most, if not all carriers are in the process of eliminating all the lower cost texting options and going to a single unlimited texting plan. The amount of data even 10,000 or even 100,000 texts would consumre doesn;t even make a blip on the data usage meter.

5 of 15 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2012 5:55:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Felixderkater wrote:

The grandfathered plans are the only ones impacted by throttling. This is not the majority of iPhone users.

Felixderkater wrote:

The grandfathered plans are the only ones impacted by throttling. This is not the majority of iPhone users.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 15 (873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2012 7:44:37 AM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

I'm sure AT&T and/or any of the other major carriers can't be too thrilled that there are apps out there that allow free unlimited texting--some of which are almost just as reliable as AT&T when it comes to timely delivery of text messages.  Between Textfree and Google Voice, I can send and receive unlimited SMS and MMS messages (and I can do without Textfree if I didn't need MMS at all) at no additional charge (i.e., not having to pay for a carrier's texting plan)--the majority of which are sent and received just as quickly as if I had sent them through AT&T's own text network; the only thing third-party messaging apps can't do (yet) is send short-code SMS but personally I have no need for that, as I am not interested in voting for the next American Idol via SMS or subscribing to info alerts that let me know what the latest score is.

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

I'm sure AT&T and/or any of the other major carriers can't be too thrilled that there are apps out there that allow free unlimited texting--some of which are almost just as reliable as AT&T when it comes to timely delivery of text messages.  Between Textfree and Google Voice, I can send and receive unlimited SMS and MMS messages (and I can do without Textfree if I didn't need MMS at all) at no additional charge (i.e., not having to pay for a carrier's texting plan)--the majority of which are sent and received just as quickly as if I had sent them through AT&T's own text network; the only thing third-party messaging apps can't do (yet) is send short-code SMS but personally I have no need for that, as I am not interested in voting for the next American Idol via SMS or subscribing to info alerts that let me know what the latest score is.

7 of 15 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2012 9:05:30 AM
(0)
Expert

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

Point being of the message - the OP stated that they wondered if Imessage was part of the reason for the throttling, it had nothing to do with anything else - such as the cost being charged by all carriers for SMS/MMS service. The answer to that was Imessage had nothing to do with it still holds true.

Don't really care if the carriers are "not to thrilled" that there are apps out there that allow free unliited texting, since it had little to do with the original post. The amount of data consumed by a imessage is next to nothing and pretty much had no impact on the thought of throttling or not throttling.

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

Point being of the message - the OP stated that they wondered if Imessage was part of the reason for the throttling, it had nothing to do with anything else - such as the cost being charged by all carriers for SMS/MMS service. The answer to that was Imessage had nothing to do with it still holds true.

Don't really care if the carriers are "not to thrilled" that there are apps out there that allow free unliited texting, since it had little to do with the original post. The amount of data consumed by a imessage is next to nothing and pretty much had no impact on the thought of throttling or not throttling.

8 of 15 (840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2012 9:36:44 AM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

Well IMHO my post had some relevance, given that the OP alluded to the "extremely lucrative text message peddling business" in his initial post, and also his mention of folks using texting apps such as iMessage or Textfree to "skirt(ing) normal text messages"--which I interpret to mean, "avoiding having to pay for a carrier's texting plan".

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

Well IMHO my post had some relevance, given that the OP alluded to the "extremely lucrative text message peddling business" in his initial post, and also his mention of folks using texting apps such as iMessage or Textfree to "skirt(ing) normal text messages"--which I interpret to mean, "avoiding having to pay for a carrier's texting plan".

9 of 15 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2012 6:21:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

Right - and throttleing the top 5% of grandfathered unlimited plan users has zip to do with that.

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Felixderkater wrote:

Right - and throttleing the top 5% of grandfathered unlimited plan users has zip to do with that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 15 (801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 2:36:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
Don't you get inclusive text messages on plans with AT&T ?
I have unlimited which is over 1000 but I don't even send many
I have to pay for mms but I don't send those even Facebook is free
For sharing photos lol or emailing them Smiley Wink
Don't you get inclusive text messages on plans with AT&T ?
I have unlimited which is over 1000 but I don't even send many
I have to pay for mms but I don't send those even Facebook is free
For sharing photos lol or emailing them Smiley Wink

11 of 15 (662 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 5:36:59 AM
(0)
Professor
The original iPhone data plan included 200 text messages, but since the 3G, a text plan has been a separate charge. They used to have various text plans, but I think the only one they offer now is the unlimited one.
The original iPhone data plan included 200 text messages, but since the 3G, a text plan has been a separate charge. They used to have various text plans, but I think the only one they offer now is the unlimited one.

12 of 15 (655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 6:15:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

They used to offer an a la carte 200-message plan and later on, a 1000-message plan, in addition to the unlimited message plan--now, the only choice is the unlimited texting plan as you stated.  Those still subscribed to the fixed-number message plans are grandfathered in.

dwill05 wrote:

They used to offer an a la carte 200-message plan and later on, a 1000-message plan, in addition to the unlimited message plan--now, the only choice is the unlimited texting plan as you stated.  Those still subscribed to the fixed-number message plans are grandfathered in.

13 of 15 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2012 12:52:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Kerry78 on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:54:22 PM

That sucks that you have to add them on and pay for those as a bundle rather then included in your plan

how much does a text message and MMS cost?

in the UK text messages are 10p or 36p a MMS

international texts I think are 20p but on most  tariffs Texting

comes with your plan

so say for Example something like 300 Any network mins  unlimited text messages normally capped at 1000+

and Unlimited data capped at 500mb = £15 a Month

That sucks that you have to add them on and pay for those as a bundle rather then included in your plan

how much does a text message and MMS cost?

in the UK text messages are 10p or 36p a MMS

international texts I think are 20p but on most  tariffs Texting

comes with your plan

so say for Example something like 300 Any network mins  unlimited text messages normally capped at 1000+

and Unlimited data capped at 500mb = £15 a Month

[ Edited ]
14 of 15 (637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 9:49:54 AM
(0)
Scholar
It's all attempts to extract more revenue from customers. Even $1 a year per subscriber is quite a bit in the aggregate with close to 100,000,000 customers.
It's all attempts to extract more revenue from customers. Even $1 a year per subscriber is quite a bit in the aggregate with close to 100,000,000 customers.

15 of 15 (606 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments