Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 30, 2012
8:37:58 PM
View profile
Thoughts and Info on the ONE X

Hi,

I was a retail store for ATT today. I ended buying the Skyrocket. I am wondering about the One X and what some of you think. My concerns are battery (embedded) I was told there will be a reset button or such. Also the size of the battery?

I have 29 days to decide if I want to pay the difference (no commitment pricing) or just stay with the Skyrocket.

What do you all think.

I am not a huge techie yet like reading all the info and learning small stuff here and there.

Larry

Hi,

I was a retail store for ATT today. I ended buying the Skyrocket. I am wondering about the One X and what some of you think. My concerns are battery (embedded) I was told there will be a reset button or such. Also the size of the battery?

I have 29 days to decide if I want to pay the difference (no commitment pricing) or just stay with the Skyrocket.

What do you all think.

I am not a huge techie yet like reading all the info and learning small stuff here and there.

Larry

Thoughts and Info on the ONE X

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2012 9:11:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

Kind of a bad decision.  The One X is going to be one of the top smartphones of 2012.  The SkyRocket is using the old Qualcomm chip.  I'd go with the One X.  So far its gotten pretty good reviews on battery life.  

Kind of a bad decision.  The One X is going to be one of the top smartphones of 2012.  The SkyRocket is using the old Qualcomm chip.  I'd go with the One X.  So far its gotten pretty good reviews on battery life.  

Re: Thoughts and Info on the ONE X

2 of 18 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2012 10:57:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I think I would stay with the Skyrocket for the time being. The HTC One X is a great phone, but the embedded battery makes it tough to switch if your running low on power out on the road etc.

The Skyrocket does have a 2MP front facing camera while the One X has a 1.3MP as well, but don't base your conclusion solely on the camera though Smiley Wink
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
I think I would stay with the Skyrocket for the time being. The HTC One X is a great phone, but the embedded battery makes it tough to switch if your running low on power out on the road etc.

The Skyrocket does have a 2MP front facing camera while the One X has a 1.3MP as well, but don't base your conclusion solely on the camera though Smiley Wink
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 18 (1,449 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 6:26:23 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on May 1, 2012 at 6:28:48 AM

I failed to see any reason to keep SR. The Qualcomm S3 chip is that phone is woefully inadwquit even for 2011 generations of the phones. The 800x480 screen also screems 2011. One X has the latest Qualcomm S4 which is a real gem from all the reviews. On top of that, it comes with 1280x720 HD screen which many reviewers say is better than Galaxy Nexus' HD AMOLED screen.

As for built-in battery, this hasn't stopped ppl from buying iPhones and use it on the road. Why One X should be any different.

The only disadvantage is the lack of storage (16GB no microSD expansion). But it can be easily solved by buy a USB OTG cable to connect to your flash drives.

You're going to stuck with the new phone for next two years. Why paying for a last year's tech? LTE and HD screen is a must have going forward.

Not to mention One X comes with ICS and god knows when, if ever, SR will see the official ICS update.

I failed to see any reason to keep SR. The Qualcomm S3 chip is that phone is woefully inadwquit even for 2011 generations of the phones. The 800x480 screen also screems 2011. One X has the latest Qualcomm S4 which is a real gem from all the reviews. On top of that, it comes with 1280x720 HD screen which many reviewers say is better than Galaxy Nexus' HD AMOLED screen.

As for built-in battery, this hasn't stopped ppl from buying iPhones and use it on the road. Why One X should be any different.

The only disadvantage is the lack of storage (16GB no microSD expansion). But it can be easily solved by buy a USB OTG cable to connect to your flash drives.

You're going to stuck with the new phone for next two years. Why paying for a last year's tech? LTE and HD screen is a must have going forward.

Not to mention One X comes with ICS and god knows when, if ever, SR will see the official ICS update.

[ Edited ]
4 of 18 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 8:04:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 1, 2012 at 8:10:02 AM

The response is pretty unanimous, and I'm going to throw in yet another vote for "Skyrocket was a bad decision". 

CPU on the Skyrocket is not even in the same league as the One X.  Benchmarks show the One X's S4 CPU smoking everything currently on the market, including the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus (which the Skyrocket benches pretty similarly to) to the point that its embarrassing for the competition.  As mentioned, Skyrocket is last years tech.  One X is this years.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-xl-benchmark-snapdragon-s4-tegra-3-67678/

Plus, the camara on the One X is supposed to be amazing, higher res screen as already mentioned, and exterior build quality of the phone is supposed to be great.

In regards to re-booting the One X (as the battery can't be pulled), if you hold the power button down for 10 seconds, it reboots the phone.  This is hardcoded, and should work in all situations.  So battery pull is not a concern.  If you are the type of person that swaps batteries throughout the day, then obviously, the non-removable battery is still a concern.  But personally, I've never had the need to do that on my previous phones, and I'm okay with charging every night, if I need to.  Obviously, battery life will depend on how you use your phone.  But from early reports (the Rogers Canada version has already been released, and virtually identical to the AT&T version), battery life on the One X appears to be very good.   Users are easily getting through a day or more on a single charge with moderate use.

The lack of a microSD slot is indeed a bummer, for people who store lots of media on their phones.  But the phone comes with 25 GB of Dropbox cloud storage.  Apparently, this is very well integrated into the phone's OS, and is pretty seamless for streaming videos, storing photos, and other files (as long as you have a data connection or on WiFi, of course).  Early One X users (again on Rogers) seem pretty pleased with this feature in leiu of a SD slot and/or more internal storage.

Really, I don't see much reason to keep the Skyrocket.  Add to all this, the fact that Samsung is unveiling the next Galaxy phone on May 3.  It usually doesn't make sense to buy the last (and practically obsolete) generation of a device, when the next one is coming soon.

The response is pretty unanimous, and I'm going to throw in yet another vote for "Skyrocket was a bad decision". 

CPU on the Skyrocket is not even in the same league as the One X.  Benchmarks show the One X's S4 CPU smoking everything currently on the market, including the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus (which the Skyrocket benches pretty similarly to) to the point that its embarrassing for the competition.  As mentioned, Skyrocket is last years tech.  One X is this years.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-xl-benchmark-snapdragon-s4-tegra-3-67678/

Plus, the camara on the One X is supposed to be amazing, higher res screen as already mentioned, and exterior build quality of the phone is supposed to be great.

In regards to re-booting the One X (as the battery can't be pulled), if you hold the power button down for 10 seconds, it reboots the phone.  This is hardcoded, and should work in all situations.  So battery pull is not a concern.  If you are the type of person that swaps batteries throughout the day, then obviously, the non-removable battery is still a concern.  But personally, I've never had the need to do that on my previous phones, and I'm okay with charging every night, if I need to.  Obviously, battery life will depend on how you use your phone.  But from early reports (the Rogers Canada version has already been released, and virtually identical to the AT&T version), battery life on the One X appears to be very good.   Users are easily getting through a day or more on a single charge with moderate use.

The lack of a microSD slot is indeed a bummer, for people who store lots of media on their phones.  But the phone comes with 25 GB of Dropbox cloud storage.  Apparently, this is very well integrated into the phone's OS, and is pretty seamless for streaming videos, storing photos, and other files (as long as you have a data connection or on WiFi, of course).  Early One X users (again on Rogers) seem pretty pleased with this feature in leiu of a SD slot and/or more internal storage.

Really, I don't see much reason to keep the Skyrocket.  Add to all this, the fact that Samsung is unveiling the next Galaxy phone on May 3.  It usually doesn't make sense to buy the last (and practically obsolete) generation of a device, when the next one is coming soon.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 18 (1,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 12:05:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

I will add another reason why the one x is better....

Although it is unfortunate that the ATT version does not come with the original 32GB that HTC has made the phone with. You are left with 16GB of internal storage of which after about 6GB gets used up by ATT apps and such (from what i saw at their retail store), you are now left with 10GB. HOWEVER, HTC Sense 4 comes with 25GB of storage in dropbox (free) for the first 2 years....So i think that kind of makes up for the lack of storage.

I will add another reason why the one x is better....

Although it is unfortunate that the ATT version does not come with the original 32GB that HTC has made the phone with. You are left with 16GB of internal storage of which after about 6GB gets used up by ATT apps and such (from what i saw at their retail store), you are now left with 10GB. HOWEVER, HTC Sense 4 comes with 25GB of storage in dropbox (free) for the first 2 years....So i think that kind of makes up for the lack of storage.

6 of 18 (1,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 1:00:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

AhlamO wrote:
You are left with 16GB of internal storage of which after about 6GB gets used up by ATT apps and such (from what i saw at their retail store), you are now left with 10GB.

10 GB is available as user accessible storage (music, photos, video, or whatever you shove in there), 2 GB is for apps, and the remaining 4 GB is for the operating system.  I don't imagine the AT&T bloat will be more than a few dozen MB. 

AhlamO wrote:
You are left with 16GB of internal storage of which after about 6GB gets used up by ATT apps and such (from what i saw at their retail store), you are now left with 10GB.

10 GB is available as user accessible storage (music, photos, video, or whatever you shove in there), 2 GB is for apps, and the remaining 4 GB is for the operating system.  I don't imagine the AT&T bloat will be more than a few dozen MB. 

7 of 18 (1,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 5:39:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have a gophone plan, 50$ unlimited talk text plus 25$ of 1 gb of data. Can I buy the one x and use the data if I change the apn? Will I get in trouble with AT&T?
I have a gophone plan, 50$ unlimited talk text plus 25$ of 1 gb of data. Can I buy the one x and use the data if I change the apn? Will I get in trouble with AT&T?

8 of 18 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 8:14:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 2, 2012 at 8:16:04 AM

Barondebxl wrote:

On any AT&T branded device, they will read the IMEI number almost immediately, and know you are using a smartphone.  Then  they will require you get a monthly data plan (no pay-per-use data on smartphones).

Barondebxl wrote:

On any AT&T branded device, they will read the IMEI number almost immediately, and know you are using a smartphone.  Then  they will require you get a monthly data plan (no pay-per-use data on smartphones).

[ Edited ]
9 of 18 (1,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 8:42:15 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the reply. So you're saying I have to have some kind of a contract that will automatically renew my data plan each month? Cause with gophone I always pay 25$ every month for data
Thanks for the reply. So you're saying I have to have some kind of a contract that will automatically renew my data plan each month? Cause with gophone I always pay 25$ every month for data

10 of 18 (1,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 9:40:42 AM
(0)
Scholar

redpoint73 wrote:

Barondebxl wrote:

Wrong. This will work perfectly because he would be using the smart phone data plan for prepaid.

redpoint73 wrote:

Barondebxl wrote:

Wrong. This will work perfectly because he would be using the smart phone data plan for prepaid.

11 of 18 (1,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 11:55:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 2, 2012 at 11:57:04 AM

joeshmo2010 wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

Barondebxl wrote:

That's what I said, that he would need a monthly data plan, and PPU (pay per use) data plan would not work.

From his original comment about "getting in trouble with AT&T" I assumed he was on PPU data.  It was only after his subsequent response that he clarified that he is already on a monthly data plan.

joeshmo2010 wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

Barondebxl wrote:

That's what I said, that he would need a monthly data plan, and PPU (pay per use) data plan would not work.

From his original comment about "getting in trouble with AT&T" I assumed he was on PPU data.  It was only after his subsequent response that he clarified that he is already on a monthly data plan.

[ Edited ]
12 of 18 (1,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 7:27:28 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for your hel guys. Are you sure AT&T won't shut me down be ajse I think they will prefer someone on contract paying more money to use their LTE network rather than so one on gophone?
Thanks for your hel guys. Are you sure AT&T won't shut me down be ajse I think they will prefer someone on contract paying more money to use their LTE network rather than so one on gophone?

13 of 18 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 5:02:52 AM
(0)
Master

Barondebxl wrote:

No, GoPhone plans can't connect to LTE network at all. But its HSPA network is super congested and AT&T would prefer some one paying monthly fee to use it.

Barondebxl wrote:

No, GoPhone plans can't connect to LTE network at all. But its HSPA network is super congested and AT&T would prefer some one paying monthly fee to use it.

14 of 18 (1,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 7:04:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

thanks dude i think u helped me on xda att one x forum. But im confused cause i get different answers even from att rep so let me just be clear. i dont wanna use LTE ( i cant even if i wanted to cause im on go phone). All i want to do is buy the htc one x full retail price. Then i will use my go phone plan 50$ unlimited plus 25$ a month for 1GB of data and i wanna use it with 3g on the one x. if i change the apn will it work? will att shut my data off even if im paying 25$ a month for 1GB of data? some gophone users are using this on their skyrocket and it works. helpz thanks!

thanks dude i think u helped me on xda att one x forum. But im confused cause i get different answers even from att rep so let me just be clear. i dont wanna use LTE ( i cant even if i wanted to cause im on go phone). All i want to do is buy the htc one x full retail price. Then i will use my go phone plan 50$ unlimited plus 25$ a month for 1GB of data and i wanna use it with 3g on the one x. if i change the apn will it work? will att shut my data off even if im paying 25$ a month for 1GB of data? some gophone users are using this on their skyrocket and it works. helpz thanks!

15 of 18 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 8:01:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Officially no, an AT&T LTE phone cannot be used for even 3G data on the GoPhone plans. 

If you are looking for an unofficial answer the "official" AT&T forum may not be the best place to look. Smiley Wink

Officially no, an AT&T LTE phone cannot be used for even 3G data on the GoPhone plans. 

If you are looking for an unofficial answer the "official" AT&T forum may not be the best place to look. Smiley Wink

16 of 18 (1,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 9:50:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
Why not purchase the intl version. It has 3g only.
Why not purchase the intl version. It has 3g only.

17 of 18 (982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 10:27:12 AM
(0)
Employee
Take it back and get the galaxy note
Take it back and get the galaxy note
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

18 of 18 (979 Views)