Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 28, 2010
1:47:58 PM
This Goes a LONG Way in Explaining the Mysterious Data Usage

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38453730/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

Read it and weep guys, our privacy is at risk and we're not even afforded the decency of being warned, and worse, this is most likely increasing our data usage, so we get to PAY to have our privacy invaded.

Read it and weep guys, our privacy is at risk and we're not even afforded the decency of being warned, and worse, this is most likely increasing our data usage, so we get to PAY to have our privacy invaded.

This Goes a LONG Way in Explaining the Mysterious Data Usage

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 1:52:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

wow i just read it and it does not sound good at all.. they need to find a solution quick..

wow i just read it and it does not sound good at all.. they need to find a solution quick..

Re: This Goes a LONG Way in Explaining the Mysterious Data Usage

2 of 26 (2,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 2:44:57 PM
(0)
Professor

Yeah, Apple needs to find a way to better manage what the device allows apps to get into. They are making an effort into it, now with iOS4 at least it tells you when location services are used in each app in the past day or so.

Yeah, Apple needs to find a way to better manage what the device allows apps to get into. They are making an effort into it, now with iOS4 at least it tells you when location services are used in each app in the past day or so.

3 of 26 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 3:24:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

DimentoGraven wrote:

You are making a lot of assumptions based on a news article that is long on fear and short on details. But as always, you are in control. Simply return the device for a refund, and go back to using a flip phone.

Your privacy is at risk when you use a computer with personal data on it, because any program on that computer could, in theory, find it and send it somewhere.

Your privacy is at risk when you sign up for any of those affinity programs at your grocery store, your drug store, and your gas station. When you sign up for Facebook, gmail, or any one of a thousand social networking sites.

Must be a slow news day.

DimentoGraven wrote:

You are making a lot of assumptions based on a news article that is long on fear and short on details. But as always, you are in control. Simply return the device for a refund, and go back to using a flip phone.

Your privacy is at risk when you use a computer with personal data on it, because any program on that computer could, in theory, find it and send it somewhere.

Your privacy is at risk when you sign up for any of those affinity programs at your grocery store, your drug store, and your gas station. When you sign up for Facebook, gmail, or any one of a thousand social networking sites.

Must be a slow news day.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 26 (2,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2010 3:27:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

Must be a slow news day.

good point

johninsj wrote:

DimentoGraven wrote:

Must be a slow news day.

good point

5 of 26 (2,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 8:27:34 AM
(0)
Guru

Only your computer analogy makes any kind of sense, with the rest of your analogies, no it doesn't make sense, as when you sign up for those things, you know up front what they're going to do and that they are absolutely gathering information on your purchases and such.

Just because it has become common to face that risk doesn't it make it "all right" for apps to do this serruptitiously.  As jealously as Apple is at "protecting" itself and reviewing all apps it places in the App Store, you'd think they'd be a bit more customer centric and not allow any applications be placed that gather non-location based information without informing the user.

That'd be a good "customer centric" kind of thing to do, don't you think?

Beyond that, the fact that AT&T only offers Tiered data plans to its new customers means that there's potential for that serruptitiously gathered data costing customer's money.  The customers don't even get the option to tell it no, and for the phone to function as expected, they have to leave it on all the time, unlike in your computer anology, where I can actually disconnect from the internet and still have my computer be 99.9% functional for what I need it to do.

Over and above all that, the fact that this sort of activity isn't disclosed up front, so we didn't get to make an informed decision, so we forced to go through the return process (if viable due to the time constraints on returning equipment and canceling contracts) to revert back to a more secure, less advanced phone.

I can't understand you're not being concerned or upset that Apple allows this sort of things in the apps it approves for sale in its App Store.  I can't understand you're not seeing it neccessary that all information being sent back is disclosed to you BEFORE hand, and at that it's not required that these apps, or the phone, have configuration options to prevent this activity (y'know like is possible with your PC analogy), and I certainly can't understand how you wouldn't be a little bit offended that the information counts against your data usage, potentially causing you to have to pay more money every now and then as this information is sent out...

So you believe that business should be allowed to do whatever the heck it wants no matter who it hurts or what damage it causes?

Wow...

Only your computer analogy makes any kind of sense, with the rest of your analogies, no it doesn't make sense, as when you sign up for those things, you know up front what they're going to do and that they are absolutely gathering information on your purchases and such.

Just because it has become common to face that risk doesn't it make it "all right" for apps to do this serruptitiously.  As jealously as Apple is at "protecting" itself and reviewing all apps it places in the App Store, you'd think they'd be a bit more customer centric and not allow any applications be placed that gather non-location based information without informing the user.

That'd be a good "customer centric" kind of thing to do, don't you think?

Beyond that, the fact that AT&T only offers Tiered data plans to its new customers means that there's potential for that serruptitiously gathered data costing customer's money.  The customers don't even get the option to tell it no, and for the phone to function as expected, they have to leave it on all the time, unlike in your computer anology, where I can actually disconnect from the internet and still have my computer be 99.9% functional for what I need it to do.

Over and above all that, the fact that this sort of activity isn't disclosed up front, so we didn't get to make an informed decision, so we forced to go through the return process (if viable due to the time constraints on returning equipment and canceling contracts) to revert back to a more secure, less advanced phone.

I can't understand you're not being concerned or upset that Apple allows this sort of things in the apps it approves for sale in its App Store.  I can't understand you're not seeing it neccessary that all information being sent back is disclosed to you BEFORE hand, and at that it's not required that these apps, or the phone, have configuration options to prevent this activity (y'know like is possible with your PC analogy), and I certainly can't understand how you wouldn't be a little bit offended that the information counts against your data usage, potentially causing you to have to pay more money every now and then as this information is sent out...

So you believe that business should be allowed to do whatever the heck it wants no matter who it hurts or what damage it causes?

Wow...

6 of 26 (2,669 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 9:37:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

DimentoGraven wrote:
doesn't it make it "all right" for apps to do this serruptitiously. 

You have no proof that this is happening, however. Please do provide proof in the form of tcp/ip dumps of the data being surreptitiously sent via an app without permission.

Here, I'll make it even easier. Let me know the name of ANY app you know is doing this, and I'll capture the data stream and check for this surreptitious data...

If you're worried, either don't use the device or don't put any data on it you don't want getting out.

"wow" back.

DimentoGraven wrote:
doesn't it make it "all right" for apps to do this serruptitiously. 

You have no proof that this is happening, however. Please do provide proof in the form of tcp/ip dumps of the data being surreptitiously sent via an app without permission.

Here, I'll make it even easier. Let me know the name of ANY app you know is doing this, and I'll capture the data stream and check for this surreptitious data...

If you're worried, either don't use the device or don't put any data on it you don't want getting out.

"wow" back.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 26 (2,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 9:48:19 AM
(0)
Professor

I was gonna suggest that, use a program to capture all data send/recieved from a device for a day. Use all the apps you need normally, and see the traffic of each app. Even if its SSL secured, you can still see where the IP of the destination is (I believe) and then we can get some insight on this issue.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, just stating that it would be good to get some more info on the subject.

I was gonna suggest that, use a program to capture all data send/recieved from a device for a day. Use all the apps you need normally, and see the traffic of each app. Even if its SSL secured, you can still see where the IP of the destination is (I believe) and then we can get some insight on this issue.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, just stating that it would be good to get some more info on the subject.

8 of 26 (2,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 10:16:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Don't know if point to another forum is OK, if not mods feel free to nuke...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24590498-Nightly-uploads-from-Iphone-mystery-or-not

There you go. Detailed logs of "overnight" transactions. Nothing at all except for push notifications & email. No hidden, unathorized, secret, black ops data collection going on.

Don't know if point to another forum is OK, if not mods feel free to nuke...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24590498-Nightly-uploads-from-Iphone-mystery-or-not

There you go. Detailed logs of "overnight" transactions. Nothing at all except for push notifications & email. No hidden, unathorized, secret, black ops data collection going on.

9 of 26 (2,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 10:42:05 AM
(0)
Professor

I dont think they'll nuke you here, but very good post. I think I'll do this myself. Maybe run all the traffic through my PC with cain installed and take a peek at my phone's usage. Just because I'm bored.

I dont think they'll nuke you here, but very good post. I think I'll do this myself. Maybe run all the traffic through my PC with cain installed and take a peek at my phone's usage. Just because I'm bored.

10 of 26 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 10:47:17 AM
(0)
Guru

johninsj, I have all push notifications disallowed and email is not even set up on my phone.  In a day and a half, without me accessing data in any way, over 23 mb were used.  I have gone over this with both AT&T and Apple and neither has any explanation.  I keep data turned off most of the time now and the usage has slowed.

johninsj, I have all push notifications disallowed and email is not even set up on my phone.  In a day and a half, without me accessing data in any way, over 23 mb were used.  I have gone over this with both AT&T and Apple and neither has any explanation.  I keep data turned off most of the time now and the usage has slowed.

11 of 26 (1,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 10:51:10 AM
(0)
Professor

If you have technical experience you can:

• Hook your computer to the internet
  • Create a ad-hoc network between your computer and phone, for internet
  • Have the computer run a program to monitor all inbound and outbound connections from the iPhone

This assumes you have wirleless built into your computer and you can get a program.

If you have technical experience you can:

• Hook your computer to the internet
  • Create a ad-hoc network between your computer and phone, for internet
  • Have the computer run a program to monitor all inbound and outbound connections from the iPhone

This assumes you have wirleless built into your computer and you can get a program.

12 of 26 (1,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 10:54:42 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by iFrosty on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:55:30 AM

This should be fun!

(not that i care; just for fun tech stuff)

This should be fun!

(not that i care; just for fun tech stuff)

[ Edited ]
13 of 26 (1,683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 11:59:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ormom51 wrote:

did you agree to send diagnostic data to apple when you activated your phone? I use my phone normally and use less than 23mb/day, without turning off data, with email on, and using the thing as I please. Data usage is completely in line with my expectations. 

ormom51 wrote:

did you agree to send diagnostic data to apple when you activated your phone? I use my phone normally and use less than 23mb/day, without turning off data, with email on, and using the thing as I please. Data usage is completely in line with my expectations. 

14 of 26 (1,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 12:07:38 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by crispichickn on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:13:21 PM

johninsj wrote:

ormom51 wrote:

do you own an iphone 4 johninsj? i dont understand how mine can go above 20+Mbs at night and you dont use 20 mbs a day. i didnt even use internet at all and i have downloaded no apps or anything. 

johninsj wrote:

ormom51 wrote:

do you own an iphone 4 johninsj? i dont understand how mine can go above 20+Mbs at night and you dont use 20 mbs a day. i didnt even use internet at all and i have downloaded no apps or anything. 

[ Edited ]
15 of 26 (1,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 12:12:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
You can also turn off your data in the network settings when you don't want it used.
You can also turn off your data in the network settings when you don't want it used.

16 of 26 (1,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 12:14:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

Chumnation wrote:

tried that also. as soon as i put it back on in the morning the usage on the iphone skyrockets. 

Chumnation wrote:

tried that also. as soon as i put it back on in the morning the usage on the iphone skyrockets. 

17 of 26 (1,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 2:07:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

There is no ghost data or att doing anything wrong.  first night i left  my iphone 4 on 3g and left all the apps running in the background.   so yes alot of usage while i was asleep.  next night i made sure to turn off all apps in multitasking and kept it on 3g. guess what.  not a single mb more.  it certain apps that pull data.  kinda like the fetch option for youre email.  certain apps that run with an internet connection update themselves while multitasking.    i do think the 200mb plan is a rip off because unless you dont use this phone you will go over 200mb.  im at 1.8gb recieved after 2 days.  but i got my unlimited data plan still so let the mb roll  lol

There is no ghost data or att doing anything wrong.  first night i left  my iphone 4 on 3g and left all the apps running in the background.   so yes alot of usage while i was asleep.  next night i made sure to turn off all apps in multitasking and kept it on 3g. guess what.  not a single mb more.  it certain apps that pull data.  kinda like the fetch option for youre email.  certain apps that run with an internet connection update themselves while multitasking.    i do think the 200mb plan is a rip off because unless you dont use this phone you will go over 200mb.  im at 1.8gb recieved after 2 days.  but i got my unlimited data plan still so let the mb roll  lol

18 of 26 (1,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 2:30:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
One thing about the article thats not mentioned here is that its not just apple as suggested. Its android as well. And androids apps seem to be more susceptible.
One thing about the article thats not mentioned here is that its not just apple as suggested. Its android as well. And androids apps seem to be more susceptible.

19 of 26 (1,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 2:47:38 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by crispichickn on Jul 29, 2010 at 2:48:51 PM

AT&T explains late night data usage.

http://www.everythingicafe.com/att-explains-late-night-data-usage/2010/07/29/

"This is a routine update of your daily data activity on your device  to ensure the accuracy of your data billing. Customers are not charged for data usage, given that no data session is generated. It’s not uncommon for devices that are ‘always on’, like iPhone, to process data event records for billing purposes after a certain amount of inactivity or after long periods of time. It’s also separate from how our system lets you monitor your data consumption."

------------------------------------------

i still dont see how this is possible and or if you really are not being charged due to the fact that it raises your data when you check data under account. If this really is the reason why however, at&t should take it off the total data usage so when i look i know how much i ACTUALLY have left over rather then how much it calculated with the update.

EDIT: this actually could be the case. after searching people without iphones had this problem occur also.

Samsung impression :

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Impression-Random-data-usage/td-p/1823460

Palm Pixi:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Palm/Pixi-Plus-strange-Data-Use-at-night/m-p/1947014

Droid?:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/magical-data-being-used/m-p/1983658

BlackBerry:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Billing/Weird-data-charges-in-the-middle-of-the-night/td-p/1894092

Samsung Blackjack:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Data-Question-Blackjack/m-p/1268421

HOWEVER -- the owner of the samsung impression stated that they have never used data so why it would show up does not support it being the "Total data accumulated throughout the day"

Also they got charged for it on their bill while att says it is not charged.

AT&T explains late night data usage.

http://www.everythingicafe.com/att-explains-late-night-data-usage/2010/07/29/

"This is a routine update of your daily data activity on your device  to ensure the accuracy of your data billing. Customers are not charged for data usage, given that no data session is generated. It’s not uncommon for devices that are ‘always on’, like iPhone, to process data event records for billing purposes after a certain amount of inactivity or after long periods of time. It’s also separate from how our system lets you monitor your data consumption."

------------------------------------------

i still dont see how this is possible and or if you really are not being charged due to the fact that it raises your data when you check data under account. If this really is the reason why however, at&t should take it off the total data usage so when i look i know how much i ACTUALLY have left over rather then how much it calculated with the update.

EDIT: this actually could be the case. after searching people without iphones had this problem occur also.

Samsung impression :

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Impression-Random-data-usage/td-p/1823460

Palm Pixi:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Palm/Pixi-Plus-strange-Data-Use-at-night/m-p/1947014

Droid?:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/magical-data-being-used/m-p/1983658

BlackBerry:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Billing/Weird-data-charges-in-the-middle-of-the-night/td-p/1894092

Samsung Blackjack:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Data-Question-Blackjack/m-p/1268421

HOWEVER -- the owner of the samsung impression stated that they have never used data so why it would show up does not support it being the "Total data accumulated throughout the day"

Also they got charged for it on their bill while att says it is not charged.

[ Edited ]
20 of 26 (1,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 2:58:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

did MSNBC take the article down??? The link from original poster gave me a 404.

did MSNBC take the article down??? The link from original poster gave me a 404.

21 of 26 (1,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2010 3:06:05 PM
(0)
Professor

Yup, article is down. I confirm seeing it earlier, now its 404 not found.

Yup, article is down. I confirm seeing it earlier, now its 404 not found.

22 of 26 (1,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 11:06:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have my iPhone 4, and I use it quite a bit (but I don't generally stream media with it).  I am on wifi when possible, but not always.  As of right now, I am on day 11 of the 31 day billing cycle,  and I have used a whopping 53MB of my data.  That is averaging out to less than 5MB/day.

For the record, I have declined to share diagnostic data with Apple ever since that was proposed to me months ago as a solution to my problem of it taking my iPhone 3G over 5 hours to complete the full backup process during a sync.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I have my iPhone 4, and I use it quite a bit (but I don't generally stream media with it).  I am on wifi when possible, but not always.  As of right now, I am on day 11 of the 31 day billing cycle,  and I have used a whopping 53MB of my data.  That is averaging out to less than 5MB/day.

For the record, I have declined to share diagnostic data with Apple ever since that was proposed to me months ago as a solution to my problem of it taking my iPhone 3G over 5 hours to complete the full backup process during a sync.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

23 of 26 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 12:08:17 PM
(0)
Professor

I wonder if thats the "other" storage that shows up under the iPhone in iTunes. If it is, I'm gonna shut it off. Even though its a couple hundred MBs, thats still a lot.

I wonder if thats the "other" storage that shows up under the iPhone in iTunes. If it is, I'm gonna shut it off. Even though its a couple hundred MBs, thats still a lot.

24 of 26 (1,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 12:26:18 PM
(0)
Guru

UNSC_REACH, I have NO technical experience so that is not an option for me.  I could ask my son for help; we have a wireless router, but it is not built into our computer, which is old.  I don't even remember whose Apple computer I used when I set up my phone-two of my kids have them.

I am going to try the iTunes idea; I just can't recall if I said it was okay to send information to them.  I will try saying no and see if it helps.  I am so technically lame that I don't even know for sure if I have to use the same computer to do this as I did the set up when I got the phone.  Do I?  I think I can use any computer to access iTunes.  But if not, I could be unable to change things as yesterday, one of the Apple laptops lost a battle with a container of watermelon juice spilled on it and no longer works at all.     

UNSC_REACH, I have NO technical experience so that is not an option for me.  I could ask my son for help; we have a wireless router, but it is not built into our computer, which is old.  I don't even remember whose Apple computer I used when I set up my phone-two of my kids have them.

I am going to try the iTunes idea; I just can't recall if I said it was okay to send information to them.  I will try saying no and see if it helps.  I am so technically lame that I don't even know for sure if I have to use the same computer to do this as I did the set up when I got the phone.  Do I?  I think I can use any computer to access iTunes.  But if not, I could be unable to change things as yesterday, one of the Apple laptops lost a battle with a container of watermelon juice spilled on it and no longer works at all.     

25 of 26 (1,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2010 12:47:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

In my opinion, with the introduction of multi tasking, folks who dont close out all of their programs are going to see this each night.  I definately forget to close them all out and I probably have some programs running each night as I sleep.

Also, I dont think your statement shows data in realtime.  It is quite possible that AT&T is lumping a sum of data used that day, each night.  I have no proof, just a theory.

Also, people seem to have missed "We found that not only users, but developers as well, don't know what's happening in their apps, even in their own apps, which is fascinating," said John Hering, CEO of the San Francisco-based Lookout."  So if the Dev doesnt know it is happening, how would Apple or AT&T?  Should they load every submitted app on a blank iPhone and see if it uses any data overnight?

Just dont download the free, ad supported, apps.  I know, easier said than done!

In my opinion, with the introduction of multi tasking, folks who dont close out all of their programs are going to see this each night.  I definately forget to close them all out and I probably have some programs running each night as I sleep.

Also, I dont think your statement shows data in realtime.  It is quite possible that AT&T is lumping a sum of data used that day, each night.  I have no proof, just a theory.

Also, people seem to have missed "We found that not only users, but developers as well, don't know what's happening in their apps, even in their own apps, which is fascinating," said John Hering, CEO of the San Francisco-based Lookout."  So if the Dev doesnt know it is happening, how would Apple or AT&T?  Should they load every submitted app on a blank iPhone and see if it uses any data overnight?

Just dont download the free, ad supported, apps.  I know, easier said than done!

26 of 26 (1,476 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments