Helpful Links

Thinking of getting 3G Data Card

Tutor

Thinking of getting 3G Data Card

I am looking to get a 3G data card for my laptop. I have been looking around and everywhere I go people are all saying EV-DO is better. I can't say because I have never used Verizon. I do have a Cingular 8125 with GPRS and sometimes I don't use the internet just because I get so aggrivated because its so slow. So my question is, what is a good 3G Data Card that can be used with either AT&T or Verizon. I also have an Express slot so the card would have to be Express.

I am looking at http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/December06/4019.htm

Message Edited by Mortifix on 02-04-2008 12:26:33 PM
Message 1 of 5
Master

Re: Thinking of getting 3G Data Card

There is no 3G data card that can be used with AT&T AND Verizon.  AT&T uses the world wide de facto standard while Verizon (and Sprint) uses a lesser used technology which does have some fans but is very limited if you need to roam abroad.  I have tried both and I'm happy with my service from at&t.  The link to the card you provided will work fine with AT&T but not with Verizon.  Verizon uses mostly proprietary equipment.  Verizon has agreed that in the future they will be migrating data to LTE which is also what at&t will do so eventually both companies will be using the same technology but that's still a few years away.

There is no comparison between GPRS and 3G speeds.  It's like the difference between dial up and DSL.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 02-04-2008 03:53:13 PM
Message 2 of 5
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I didn't understand the difference between 3G and GPRS. What would Verizons EV-DO be considered? As far as a device to use with AT&T do you know of any? That device is $375 and I was looking for something a little cheaper if possible.

Is EDGE just a little faster than GPRS?
Message 3 of 5
Master

EV-DO is certainly a 3G technology and comparable to at&t 3G.  GPRS is the slowest, EDGE is a bit more speedy, and 3G is the fastest available.  As far as devices you might want to take a look at the at&t web site. If you don't mind a new contract the deals vary from around $50 and up.  If you do go for a new contract remember that you have 30 days in which to test it before the contract locks in. 
Message 4 of 5
Scholar

DWC1 wrote:
EV-DO is certainly a 3G technology and comparable to at&t 3G.  GPRS is the slowest, EDGE is a bit more speedy, and 3G is the fastest available. 
I would add that on my devices, I see GPRS is about 20-30kbps (dialup), Edge is about 200kbps (low-end DSL speeds), 3G is about 1Mbps (or 1000kbps, typical DSL speeds, your mileage may vary, yada yada).  Also, on my Sierra Wireless 875U, I get HSDPA at about 1.8Mbps, at&t promises to soon boost that to 3.2Mbps.  The current version 881/881U promises to use HSUPA with max speeds of 7.2Mbps.  It is also worth noting that EVDO maxes at 3.1Mbps, although both Verizon and at&t are promising to move to 4G technologies in coming years.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support