Thinking of getting 3G Data Card

Tutor

Thinking of getting 3G Data Card

I am looking to get a 3G data card for my laptop. I have been looking around and everywhere I go people are all saying EV-DO is better. I can't say because I have never used Verizon. I do have a Cingular 8125 with GPRS and sometimes I don't use the internet just because I get so aggrivated because its so slow. So my question is, what is a good 3G Data Card that can be used with either AT&T or Verizon. I also have an Express slot so the card would have to be Express.

I am looking at http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/December06/4019.htm

Message Edited by Mortifix on 02-04-2008 12:26:33 PM
Message 1 of 5
Master

Re: Thinking of getting 3G Data Card

There is no 3G data card that can be used with AT&T AND Verizon.  AT&T uses the world wide de facto standard while Verizon (and Sprint) uses a lesser used technology which does have some fans but is very limited if you need to roam abroad.  I have tried both and I'm happy with my service from at&t.  The link to the card you provided will work fine with AT&T but not with Verizon.  Verizon uses mostly proprietary equipment.  Verizon has agreed that in the future they will be migrating data to LTE which is also what at&t will do so eventually both companies will be using the same technology but that's still a few years away.

There is no comparison between GPRS and 3G speeds.  It's like the difference between dial up and DSL.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 02-04-2008 03:53:13 PM
Message 2 of 5
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I didn't understand the difference between 3G and GPRS. What would Verizons EV-DO be considered? As far as a device to use with AT&T do you know of any? That device is $375 and I was looking for something a little cheaper if possible.

Is EDGE just a little faster than GPRS?
Message 3 of 5
Master

EV-DO is certainly a 3G technology and comparable to at&t 3G.  GPRS is the slowest, EDGE is a bit more speedy, and 3G is the fastest available.  As far as devices you might want to take a look at the at&t web site. If you don't mind a new contract the deals vary from around $50 and up.  If you do go for a new contract remember that you have 30 days in which to test it before the contract locks in. 
Message 4 of 5
Scholar

DWC1 wrote:
EV-DO is certainly a 3G technology and comparable to at&t 3G.  GPRS is the slowest, EDGE is a bit more speedy, and 3G is the fastest available. 
I would add that on my devices, I see GPRS is about 20-30kbps (dialup), Edge is about 200kbps (low-end DSL speeds), 3G is about 1Mbps (or 1000kbps, typical DSL speeds, your mileage may vary, yada yada).  Also, on my Sierra Wireless 875U, I get HSDPA at about 1.8Mbps, at&t promises to soon boost that to 3.2Mbps.  The current version 881/881U promises to use HSUPA with max speeds of 7.2Mbps.  It is also worth noting that EVDO maxes at 3.1Mbps, although both Verizon and at&t are promising to move to 4G technologies in coming years.
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support