The great all you can eat $30.00 data plan

Contributor

The great all you can eat $30.00 data plan

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

As a Iphone 4 user, I had ordered the all you can data plan way back before tethering was in the horizon.  Just recently I get this email regarding my data plan that if I continue tethering, I would automatically be place on a tethering plan Pro for additional fee.

I called the number they emailed me, I place the call and it took me directly to resolutions dept. which I tried to explain I was not tethering but I was using sling (Sling HD Pro very cool) I am able to watch my Verizon Fios on my Iphone 4 but if you ever check how much data pushes through in about half hour (Approx: half a gig) this is a lot of data, I should call Apple to let them know what happened to me for purchasing there Sling app for $29.00 and Best Buy for approximate $299.00 +tax.  After trying to explain the resolution person tells me that sling is one of the boxes they consider tethering, I asked her to explain to how is it tethering (being a tech for about 25yrs) she said I don’t really know but its part of the list, I then hung up and I call the next day.

I got this nice guy in resolution he didn’t know what sling was all about and he even went to the sling sight and he understood the concept of how I was connecting (thru 3G) after he understood the whole picture he said I defiantly know the way your connecting is not tethering he wrote all in my call notes, he then told me he would connect me and to wait a moment that he would explain this to another person in resolutions why he did this is to try to get my two accounts canceled because of what I was told by the previous girl of yesterday that she told me I was not to use my data plan with sling.  What I told the guy that wrote the complete understanding that in fact he also thought it was not tethering I told him that I am pulling out my Iphone and that I had no choice but to put dummy phones on each of my plans till they expire (not fare just because I was told NOT TO USE my DATA PLAN!!!). 

I went to T-mobile and purchase a new 5device hot spot with 4G and now what I have to do, I use unlimited Skype (voice mail, assigned telephone number, and email notification I have a voice message) I use this unlimited minute Skype, I also use the hotspot with truly unlimited data plan.

Currently I am stuck with two phone lines, I did place two go phones on each account I reduced my minutes from 1400 min to 450 min $39.00 plus I almost lost my $5.00 200 txt messages but finally they migrated it over.

Finally I finished talking with the resolution people stating why can’t I use my data if I am not tethering they told that this is considered tethering and I told her didn’t you understand all my call notes from the previous person I talk to and you talk to he explained to you it was not tethering she told she understand it is not tethering, I told her if you did and I am a data hog let me go and dont charge me the early termination fee, she said sorry ser it is impossible not to be charged the fee, I told  her I am truly upset and this talking to them total time approx 4.5hrs total waste of my time.

Let me know if there is  anything I need to know to fix this after changing my data plan to the hotspot and Skype I am getting phenomenal service and emails (no texting but who cares) all for $39.00 please let me know if I can get me complaint to corporate office they never know what is going on with there people on how they handle situations like mine, they lost me my first plan expires on August of this year but I really lost out on my primary plan expires, I think next year September.

Please comment as to how to fix this problem and have them let me go, I am presently shackled and thrown in the basement paying them undeserving good money

Message 1 of 30 (1,062 Views)
Professor

Re: The great all you can eat $30.00 data plan

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
It will still be throttled that is the point, while you have a type of unlimited data for your money, it sitll is retricted, As far as 10GB goes, I know of 3 websites that will blow through the 10GB in a very short period of time - they are graphics intensive and every graphic is the highest resolution possible, problem there is if you turn off graphics then you mist 80 percent of the content. The way it is talked about they have "unlimited data" no matter what - the op needs to be aware that there are caps.

Bwaaahaaahaaahaaahaaa! Care to share? That's what I thought. LOL . Let me guess. You are talking streaming sites like Hulu and Netflix. You apologists truely amaze me.

No, as usual you are assuming again - it is fantasy sports league sites, might want to do the research

Ok, so once again, tell me what fantasy sports sites I can access through my phone that will use 10GB of data in a very short period of time.

www.google.com works like a champ, do the research.

That's what I thought. LOL.

what that I won't do gratis work for someone - then you where right.

The sites are out there, any website that is not configured for mobile usage will eat through bandwidth if it is graphics heavy. .png graphic files are a lot less bandwidth intensive then .jpg or .gif - the sites in question utilze high resolution .jpg files for clarity of the graphic, it there for stands to reason that these files are larger then lower quality .png files. Simple size computations.

News sites are also bad for this, they put a lot of flashy pictures on the front page - a couple of the european sites today have over 150 meg worth of graphics on the front page becasue of the royal wedding coverage.

By the way, this exact same subject was discussed in the forums here before, so it is not the first time it has come up. 

Assuming it is even possible to accomplish what you state, I wonder what percentage of customers actually use those sites on mobile. Keeping in mind that AT&T has already stated less than 2% of it's customers use more than 2MB of data, before they discontinued offering the unlimited plan, it is a matter of what percentage of the 2%. It should be safe to say less than 1%, probably even less than 1/2 or even 1/4 of 1%. 

Message 16 of 30 (491 Views)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Assuming it is even possible to accomplish what you state, I wonder what percentage of customers actually use those sites on mobile. Keeping in mind that AT&T has already stated less than 2% of it's customers use more than 2MB of data, before they discontinued offering the unlimited plan, it is a matter of what percentage of the 2%. It should be safe to say less than 1%, probably even less than 1/2 or even 1/4 of 1%. 

You are good at that, I am sure that at least a small portion of the populus that utilze data on their phone do go to news services, weather sites and ohter graphic intensive sites - not to mention facebook, play the facebook games and other socila networking sites on their phone. So by your own comment "it is safe to assume" that a protion of the populous DO go to graphics intensive sites - as mentioned - game sites, news sites, social sites - unless the webpages and graphics are coded for celluar traffic they are transfering the exact same images that are displayed on your home computer - they CAN BE large, you can verify this yourself easily.

I would go with a carriers estimate of percantage before I would go with yours, at least the carrier - ANY carrier has the ability to track the data usage, where as yours are just "safe assumptions"

Message 17 of 30 (489 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

You are good at that, I am sure that at least a small portion of the populus that utilze data on their phone do go to news services, weather sites and ohter graphic intensive sites - not to mention facebook, play the facebook games and other socila networking sites on their phone. So by your own comment "it is safe to assume" that a protion of the populous DO go to graphics intensive sites - as mentioned - game sites, news sites, social sites - unless the webpages and graphics are coded for celluar traffic they are transfering the exact same images that are displayed on your home computer - they CAN BE large, you can verify this yourself easily.

I would go with a carriers estimate of percantage before I would go with yours, at least the carrier - ANY carrier has the ability to track the data usage, where as yours are just "safe assumptions"

The news, weather, and social networking sites are typical sites visited daily by most customers that use internet. Those sites will not eat up 10GB of data even if you tried all month. Even with using a browser like Skyfire to view the full sight, data is compressed on their servers before being transmitted to the phone. My percentages are from the carrier. AT&T has publicly stated that only 2% of it's customers use more than 2GB of data per month. So if you don't like my figures, what percentage of AT&T's data customers would you say are eating up 10GB of data on your secret sports fantasy sights?

Message 18 of 30 (481 Views)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

The news, weather, and social networking sites are typical sites visited daily by most customers that use internet. Those sites will not eat up 10GB of data even if you tried all month. Even with using a browser like Skyfire to view the full sight, data is compressed on their servers before being transmitted to the phone. My percentages are from the carrier. AT&T has publicly stated that only 2% of it's customers use more than 2GB of data per month. So if you don't like my figures, what percentage of AT&T's data customers would you say are eating up 10GB of data on your secret sports fantasy sights?

They are not secret, took about 7 hours of the researchers time to find the cuplrits for a contract we had for corproate bandwidth abuse, the information and signed affidavits where turned over to the company for their HR department.

You opinion, my opinion, each is different, the unlimited data plan is dead that is the simple fact, the carrier agreed, each handles it in a different but similiar manner - att got rid of it, another will soft cap at 5 gb or 10 gb and slow the users down to a 1200 baud modem,  anothe will hard cap so that only email passes through, no browsing or streaming. broadband compaies are hard capping now, in the case of Charter it will suspend your account for 6 months after the 3rd warning, abuse it again and your accounbt is canceled.

ATT determined that 2% was the abuse level, they did not make public what is considered total data usage of those 2%, those may be at the 20 to 30GB a minth level - unless you have links to validated data and the parameters  that was used to determine what was the icap level for the 2% it is only specualtion on the end user part.

Message 19 of 30 (470 Views)
Professor

And unless you can provide proof that you can use up 10GB of data on a smartphone in a short period of time by visiting websites, it is pure speculation on your part. Most high end phones can barely render Flash properly and data is typically compressed.

Message 20 of 30 (451 Views)
Professor

Ayeman to that, sidewayz. I have to use my home wi-fi just to get that boost of a good connection much less sit here on it 24/7 streaming. After awhile the att fastest network experience gets highly annoying. I have'n unlimited and can truthfully say with these "slow att connections", there aint no way I will ever get to 10g/mo. Aint got that much patience.

Message 21 of 30 (482 Views)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

And unless you can provide proof that you can use up 10GB of data on a smartphone in a short period of time by visiting websites, it is pure speculation on your part. Most high end phones can barely render Flash properly and data is typically compressed.

Same as all your comments are pure speculation also, s it really does not matter and it boils down to a difference of opinion,.  Funny I know of at least two high end phones tht the vaulted flash doe not operate on at all, so that pretty well puts an end to that comment for a percetage of "high end phones".

done with this, the unlimited data plan for this carrier is gone and the chances of it coming back are slim to none.  Enjoy the day.

Message 22 of 30 (474 Views)
Professor

Wing wrote Same as all your comments are pure speculation also, s it really does not matter and it boils down to a difference of opinion,. Funny I know of at least two high end phones tht the vaulted flash doe not operate on at all, so that pretty well puts an end to that commet. Meanwhile Sidewayz, yep I have unlimited and, like you, I aint reached 10 yet but some gospel according to..... Seems to want to be the last word on the topic..... now, back to the discussion, where were we?
Message 23 of 30 (450 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

done with this,.....

Sidewayz,  i think there was a wingless speculation that says.. 'done with this'... oh good, maybe we can get back to the topic at hand.

SS, YOu are correct,  aint no way we can reach 10GB on the phones we have here at att (unless we are a mgr and "say" we own our own company and have time  to sit around all day and night surfing on a cellphone browser just so to try and prove a point that is so pointless.

Message 24 of 30 (446 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

RicoLX wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

done with this,.....

Sidewayz,  i think there was a wingless speculation that says.. 'done with this'... oh good, maybe we can get back to the topic at hand.

SS, YOu are correct,  aint no way we can reach 10GB on the phones we have here at att (unless we are a mgr and "say" we own our own company and have time  to sit around all day and night surfing on a cellphone browser just so to try and prove a point that is so pointless.

why bother to try and continue a discussion - it is impossible to refute BOBHL logic - even if it is wrong

Message 25 of 30 (436 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

done with this,.....

why bother to try and continue a discussion - it is impossible to refute BOBHL logic - even if it is wrong

.... thought he was done with this.. so those who are here who want to discuss this issue may continue...?

Message 26 of 30 (430 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:
wingrider01 wrote:

done with this,.....

.... thought he was done with this.. so those who are here who want to discuss this issue may continue...?

Of course they may. Not unless a mod has specifically told one not to/closed the thread all together. This whole thread has turned from a simple problem to a whole argument, anyway.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 27 of 30 (413 Views)
Professor

It appeared some were managing their vents and respected each others thoughts then a comment crept in belittling already dismayed customers/posters.. All such response woud do is ignite rather than agree to disagree. Gladly, seveal postings had to be removed
Message 28 of 30 (411 Views)
Contributor

I've never gotten this email/warning. I used about 20GBs last month it it didn't throttle until about 15.
Message 29 of 30 (387 Views)
Highlighted

Wow! 20GB a month? Is that every month? What this winger1 guy ignores is that all this throttling is imposed because of 1/10 of %1 are probably really abusing? their unlimited plan. If you use 2.1 GB a month,then AT&T puts you in their 2% category. The network should be able to easily handle this supposed abusers. Certainly,since all the "backhaul" & 4G is now complete!?! Especially when LTE is finally turned on. When LTE is turned on,they should bring back the unlimited.
Message 30 of 30 (365 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.