The difference between 8GB, 16GB and 32 GB

Scholar

The difference between 8GB, 16GB and 32 GB

I have looked everywhere and I haven't been able to find the answer to my question and if I did, I really didn't understand it.

I am thinking about upgrading to the iphone. I use my current phone to listen to music, check my e-mail, make phone calls and use the internet to facebook. I can't picture needing more then that.  So.....which phone would be better suited for my needs?  How much memory is 8GB?  I can't picture putting more then like 200 songs on there.  Is 8GB enough or do I need more? I am just very confused. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10 (21,053 Views)
Professor

Re: The difference between 8GB, 16GB and 32 GB

That really depends on many factors -

How big are your music files? If you're planning to rip your music as 128mbps AAC files, for instance, an average song would be around 5MB, but if you rip them as 256mbps VBR AAC (iTunes Plus), it could average 9MB per song.

Do you plan on downloading podcasts, specifically video ones? (Bill Moyers' Journal and The Rachel Maddow Show are two of my favorites, and each show is around 250MB to download). How about movies?

Also note that you won't be able to devote the entirety of the 8GB to music - you'll have some overhead lost from the internal software and formatting. Plus the 8GB is the older 3G model - you can get the newer 3GS in 16 and 32 GB.

If you don't plan on putting more than 200 songs on there at any one time (and you set up your sync options for that easily) then 8GB should be plenty. My advice though - get as much disc space as you can afford. About a year ago I got the 16GB 3G, only to find out 5 months later that I'd run out of room.

Message 2 of 10 (21,047 Views)
Scholar

Judging by what you said 8GB should be plenty for you. 8GB holds more than you think. I have about 500 songs on mine with room to spare.
Message 3 of 10 (21,046 Views)

I'm a strong advocate of "more is better", so get the most memory you can afford.

I have 16gb and with a few thousand songs, pictures, plust the apps, it's getting a bit cramped.

Next year, I'll probably get the latest/greatest upgrade of the iPhone (if I'll be eligible then, heck I don't even know, I should probably find out...)

Message 4 of 10 (21,034 Views)
Tutor

My experience, 120 CDs loaded, ~1500 songs, only 4GB used,,,
Message 5 of 10 (21,021 Views)
Professor

The average user would do perfectly fine with 16, or even 8GB. Most who think they "need" 100 GB would certainly "use" it if it became available. They'd fill it up with stuff they would mostly never access, just like many do now with th 32GB. But it'd be on there.

In the same vein, I'd venture that most people will never, ever listen to 10 or 20% the 20,000 songs they brag about having on their iPods.
Message 6 of 10 (21,011 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for all the responses.  I think that the 8GB will do me juist fine.

Message 7 of 10 (20,985 Views)
Contributor

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

The link above will show there are several diffrences between the 8gb and 16gb or 32gb. From what I get there is no diffrence between the 16gb and 32gb other than space but the 8gb has less features such as battery time, auto focus for camera, higher mega pixels, improved performance, and many more. Also the built in gps  or compase as they call it is pretty darn cool.

Message 8 of 10 (20,234 Views)
Contributor

sry about the previos post its not gps but a digital compass.
Message 9 of 10 (20,229 Views)
Professor

Mad-User wrote:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

The link above will show there are several diffrences between the 8gb and 16gb or 32gb. From what I get there is no diffrence between the 16gb and 32gb other than space but the 8gb has less features such as battery time, auto focus for camera, higher mega pixels, improved performance, and many more. Also the built in gps  or compase as they call it is pretty darn cool.

You are referring to difference's between the 3G and the 3G S.  Those differences have nothing to do with the storage capacity of the device.

The 3G came in 8GB and 16GB versions.

The 3G S comes in 16GB and 32GB versions.

Currently only the 8GB 3G, 16GB and 32GB 3G S are available as new.  You may be able to find refurb offerings of any of these.

Message 10 of 10 (20,211 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.