Texts not being received

Contributor

Texts not being received

Hello All, 

Recently I've switched over to ATT because of their international texting plan.  Welp, it would be great, except my boyfriend in the Netherlands only received my messages 20% of the time.

Question 1:  Am I being charged for theses?

Question 2:  Is this normal and is there anything that can be done about it?

It's really frustrating.  If this is normal I'm completely cancelling the texting plan because this is BS. 

Thanks for your help in advance!  

Message 1 of 5 (2,336 Views)
Professor

Re: Texts not being received

[ Edited ]

In Netherlands AT&T fully supports texting only to KPN Mobile and number should look like this  + 31 (wireless number). If you trying to send Picture message (MMS) don't expect it to get there as it's not supported. 

AT&T bills for all messages whether sent or received, read or unread, solicited or unsolicited. Also, any message sent or received that is longer than 160 characters will be delivered as multiple segments of up to 160 characters each. Each segment is billed as a separate message.

PS. To get "+" on most phones you have to press and hold "0" till you see "+". 

Good luck.  

Message Edited by 300k on 09-10-2009 08:18:48 PM
Message 2 of 5 (2,333 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for answering my question.

Yes, ATT says it supports telefort, vodaphone and KPN.  What do you mean by "fully supports?" Are they only half {word filter evasion} it with the other companies? 

I sooooo should have stayed with verizon.  I never had this problem with them. Maybe 1 in 20 smses didn;t get through but it was so expensive.  It was just the international plan that made ATT so appealing. Smiley Sad  I guess you get what you pay for. 

Message Edited by Glomag on 09-11-2009 02:20:20 PM
Message 3 of 5 (2,314 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

International Texter wrote:

Thank you for answering my question.

Yes, ATT says it supports telefort, vodaphone and KPN.  What do you mean by "fully supports?" Are they only half {word filter evasion} it with the other companies? 

I sooooo should have stayed with verizon.  I never had this problem with them. Maybe 1 in 20 smses didn;t get through but it was so expensive.  It was just the international plan that made ATT so appealing. Smiley Sad  I guess you get what you pay for. 

Here is the LIST of supported carriers. AT&T reps not always telling the truth to make a sale. I had same issue with texting to other country and AT&T rep told me that it supports all cariers in that country but after doing some research on my own I found 

International Text Messaging Country Code Provider List and AT&T admited that it is ONLY supported countries. 

Make sure include "+" before you dial country code

Update: Supported Carriers for Netherlands:

KPN Mobile

Telfort Mobile

T-Mobile

Vodafone 

If you include only text to any of those Carriers then you shouldn't have a problem. If you include any other files like picture, mp3, vcard etc then it will not be delivered as MMS in not supported in that country. 

Hope it helps answering your question.  :smileywink: 

Message Edited by 300k on 09-11-2009 10:53:04 AM
Message Edited by Glomag on 09-11-2009 02:20:50 PM
Message 4 of 5 (2,309 Views)
Guru

Over the last year, Verizon has greatly increased the number of foreign carriers they can text with, but ATT is still ahead of them.  Reading some of the other posts on this forum, there have obviously been problems this week, but this has not been my experience generally.  I text Germany, Dubai, the UK, Trinidad, and Hong Kong on a regular basis without problems.
Message 5 of 5 (2,275 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.