Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2010
10:16:47 AM
View profile
Texting Equivalent of Auto-reply while Driving?

Are there any apps out there or features that would enable us to set "Auto-reply" while driving or otherwise preoccupied so as not to respond to texts? I'm envisioning an auto-reply message: "I'm currently driving. Will reply when I reach destination." I think that this could help to curb that impulse to read and respond to texts while driving.

Are there any apps out there or features that would enable us to set "Auto-reply" while driving or otherwise preoccupied so as not to respond to texts? I'm envisioning an auto-reply message: "I'm currently driving. Will reply when I reach destination." I think that this could help to curb that impulse to read and respond to texts while driving.

Texting Equivalent of Auto-reply while Driving?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 7:56:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes!  Please check out OTTER (OTTERapp.com).  This is a text management app for the home, office or on the road.  Its been proven on Android since April and in two weeks it hits Blackberry. OTTER has unlimited response lists to manage your customizable responses.  It has a simple Auto Reply feature with optional timer.  We've found that our customers are scheduling "texting blackout periods" with OTTER so they can focus on studying and business people are improving their meeting productivity by scheduling two hours of text free distractions...

For people who want to self govern their texting & driving temptations, there is a simple GPS Mode that silences incoming text notifications while sending out a single customizable reply.  It also silences incoming calls while driving unless you are using a bluetooth.    My friend used this the other day when he was driving to the desert.  The GPS picked up that he was in a moving vehicle and sent his text reply that said "I am driving to Palm Springs - I'll be in touch around 2pm".   For parents of texting teen drivers, OTTER also offers a pass code enabled Parental Control feature that is easy to use and GPS based. 

OTTER is the only app of its kind that is sold for $3.99 with no recurring fees. We also created OTTER-urban for the smart phone user who is not interested in the GPS features and its only $1.99.

Best,
Erik Wood, owner
OTTER LLC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSWurvUAVP4

Yes!  Please check out OTTER (OTTERapp.com).  This is a text management app for the home, office or on the road.  Its been proven on Android since April and in two weeks it hits Blackberry. OTTER has unlimited response lists to manage your customizable responses.  It has a simple Auto Reply feature with optional timer.  We've found that our customers are scheduling "texting blackout periods" with OTTER so they can focus on studying and business people are improving their meeting productivity by scheduling two hours of text free distractions...

For people who want to self govern their texting & driving temptations, there is a simple GPS Mode that silences incoming text notifications while sending out a single customizable reply.  It also silences incoming calls while driving unless you are using a bluetooth.    My friend used this the other day when he was driving to the desert.  The GPS picked up that he was in a moving vehicle and sent his text reply that said "I am driving to Palm Springs - I'll be in touch around 2pm".   For parents of texting teen drivers, OTTER also offers a pass code enabled Parental Control feature that is easy to use and GPS based. 

OTTER is the only app of its kind that is sold for $3.99 with no recurring fees. We also created OTTER-urban for the smart phone user who is not interested in the GPS features and its only $1.99.

Best,
Erik Wood, owner
OTTER LLC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSWurvUAVP4

Re: Texting Equivalent of Auto-reply while Driving?

2 of 7 (3,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 8:42:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is there anything available for Dumb-phones?

I love my phone, but it's not "app"able. It's a Sony-Ericsson w580i and I want to auto-reply to texts, too!

Is there anything available for Dumb-phones?

I love my phone, but it's not "app"able. It's a Sony-Ericsson w580i and I want to auto-reply to texts, too!

3 of 7 (2,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 11:53:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Smartphone prices are dropping rapidly...I wish I could be on all texting phones but we needed to see where the wave was going, not where it was if we were truly going to make a difference on the texting management and texting while driving issues.  Smartphones that were $399 a year ago are now going for as little as $89...  I hope that answers your question/concern.

Erik Wood, owner

OTTER app

Smartphone prices are dropping rapidly...I wish I could be on all texting phones but we needed to see where the wave was going, not where it was if we were truly going to make a difference on the texting management and texting while driving issues.  Smartphones that were $399 a year ago are now going for as little as $89...  I hope that answers your question/concern.

Erik Wood, owner

OTTER app

4 of 7 (2,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 7:02:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

There is a really cool program that is only $10 a month. Email me or contact me and I will let you know. It is a third party program that works with any phone from any carrier.

There is a really cool program that is only $10 a month. Email me or contact me and I will let you know. It is a third party program that works with any phone from any carrier.

5 of 7 (2,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 7:15:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry. Here's the location of the other option. It's perfect for me because I work from my car. It's 100% voice to text and email.

http://www.fdivoice.com/handsfreetelecom

Sorry. Here's the location of the other option. It's perfect for me because I work from my car. It's 100% voice to text and email.

http://www.fdivoice.com/handsfreetelecom

6 of 7 (2,794 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 6:17:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Dec 30, 2010 at 6:27:10 PM

phoneguard.com. My name is Troy, I work for the company {Personal content removed for your safety}

phoneguard.com. My name is Troy, I work for the company {Personal content removed for your safety}

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (2,320 Views)