Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 24, 2010
8:57:14 PM
View profile
Text messaging to China cell phone

My hometown is Pennsylvania, USA.  I am visiting China for one month.  I have unlimited text messaging plan with AT&T.  What is the fee for text messaging (Me on AT&T cell phone)  to another China cell phone (my husband, a teacher)?  I am deaf and this is my only means of communication. Smiley Sad Would appreciate ANY help here.  Thank you for your time!  

My hometown is Pennsylvania, USA.  I am visiting China for one month.  I have unlimited text messaging plan with AT&T.  What is the fee for text messaging (Me on AT&T cell phone)  to another China cell phone (my husband, a teacher)?  I am deaf and this is my only means of communication. Smiley Sad Would appreciate ANY help here.  Thank you for your time!  

Text messaging to China cell phone

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 2:58:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Colleenf58 wrote:

Colleen, this link will take you to a page that details the options and pricing for international text messaging. The way I read it is that roaming price takes precedence (so when you're roaming, you pay the same price for all text messages, regardless of whether you send to a domestic number or international). All incoming messages will be covered by your domestic unlimited messaging. A quick recap:

• When in China, it's either $.50 per message sent or for $10 a month you can get 50 messages plus $.40/msg for overages
  • When at home, it's $.25 per message sent or for $10 a month you can get 100 messages plus $.20/msg for overages.

Hope this helps!

Colleenf58 wrote:

Colleen, this link will take you to a page that details the options and pricing for international text messaging. The way I read it is that roaming price takes precedence (so when you're roaming, you pay the same price for all text messages, regardless of whether you send to a domestic number or international). All incoming messages will be covered by your domestic unlimited messaging. A quick recap:

• When in China, it's either $.50 per message sent or for $10 a month you can get 50 messages plus $.40/msg for overages
  • When at home, it's $.25 per message sent or for $10 a month you can get 100 messages plus $.20/msg for overages.

Hope this helps!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Text messaging to China cell phone

2 of 6 (3,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 5:30:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello dmapr!

I just got off the chat line with a representative of AT&T and yes... You are correct!  there are 50 text messages for $10 per month and anything over that is a fee of 40 cents. 

Believe it or not... I sent my husband a message a half hour ago and still am waiting for his phone to receive it!   But, the representative said that it will take a few minutes.... It's been a half hour!  If I do not see that he received it, I will purchase a cheap phone here in China and use that method.... Phones in China are not expensive. 

Thank you for your help.  I do appreciate it!

God Bless!

Colleen

Hello dmapr!

I just got off the chat line with a representative of AT&T and yes... You are correct!  there are 50 text messages for $10 per month and anything over that is a fee of 40 cents. 

Believe it or not... I sent my husband a message a half hour ago and still am waiting for his phone to receive it!   But, the representative said that it will take a few minutes.... It's been a half hour!  If I do not see that he received it, I will purchase a cheap phone here in China and use that method.... Phones in China are not expensive. 

God Bless!

Colleen

3 of 6 (3,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2010 3:04:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Colleenf58 wrote:

Hello dmapr!

God Bless!

Colleen

Hi Colleen,

I would definitely recommend buying a local phone for messaging if you're planning to stay there a month. Unfortunately with AT&T you have no idea whether your message has reached its recipient or not because AT&T does not support delivery confirmation for text messages. With a local phone number you'll always know whether your message was received or not if you turn the delivery confirmation on and if your recipient is not with AT&T (AT&T ignores delivery confirmation for both sending and receiving text messages).

Good luck!

Colleenf58 wrote:

Hello dmapr!

God Bless!

Colleen

Hi Colleen,

I would definitely recommend buying a local phone for messaging if you're planning to stay there a month. Unfortunately with AT&T you have no idea whether your message has reached its recipient or not because AT&T does not support delivery confirmation for text messages. With a local phone number you'll always know whether your message was received or not if you turn the delivery confirmation on and if your recipient is not with AT&T (AT&T ignores delivery confirmation for both sending and receiving text messages).

Good luck!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (2,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 1:01:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello!  I want to thank you for your input on my situation!  I will be purchasing my phone tomorrow and be able to communicate.  Being deaf is not easy and I have met soooooo many wonderful people.  They want to meet up with me in the midst of a day and I have to tell them..." Maybe I can hook up with you.   But I can not promise."  This phone will be a life saver!

Thanks again for your time.

Hello!  I want to thank you for your input on my situation!  I will be purchasing my phone tomorrow and be able to communicate.  Being deaf is not easy and I have met soooooo many wonderful people.  They want to meet up with me in the midst of a day and I have to tell them..." Maybe I can hook up with you.   But I can not promise."  This phone will be a life saver!

5 of 6 (2,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2010 4:30:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Colleenf58 wrote:

You're most welcome!

Colleenf58 wrote:

You're most welcome!

6 of 6 (2,952 Views)