Text Messaging and iOS 5

Contributor

Text Messaging and iOS 5

Since most of the people I text are running iOS 5 on their phones, I am thinking about getting rid of my texting plan.  I have two questions before I do this though:

1.  What is the going rate for individual texts?  I've seen three rates - $.20, $.25, and $.30 floating around AT&T's site.

2.  Is there any circumstance where text messages between devices running iOS 5 would count as a text and not as data?

Thanks,

Pam

Message 1 of 12 (1,329 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Text Messaging and iOS 5

iMessage uses data instead of text between iPhones. As long as both phones are using iMessage, there is no text cost, just uses data to transfer the messages.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (1,298 Views)
ACE - Master

lossy61 wrote:

2.  Is there any circumstance where text messages between devices running iOS 5 would count as a text and not as data?

In the message settings, there is an option to "Send as SMS" if iMessage is not available. Make sure that is set to "Off" to avoid sending as text and not data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12 (1,286 Views)
Master

The pay-per-use rate for text messages being sent or received is $0.20 per text message and $0.25 for MMS messages.

Hope this helps.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 12 (1,243 Views)
Scholar

I have the iphone4s.  5.00 for 200 messages.

which would be best deal instead of paying

for each message. im not even sure at&t

offers a plan without a texing plan

Message 5 of 12 (1,232 Views)
Professor

Sonic1519 wrote:

I have the iphone4s.  5.00 for 200 messages.

which would be best deal instead of paying

for each message. im not even sure at&t

offers a plan without a texing plan

The only current text messaging plans from AT&T are the $20 individual unlimited text messaging plan and the pay per use text messaging "plan".  The other plans are grandfathered, and no longer available to customers who don't already have them. 

AT&T does allow customers to have voice and/or data without a text messaging plan.  I don't have a text messaging plan and have text messages blocked on my line so that I don't get hit with pay per use charges from text messages from people who don't know me well.

Message 6 of 12 (1,225 Views)
Master

21stNow is correct. AT&T dropped both of their 200 and 1000 messages plans earlier this year. The OP only has two choices - pay the pay-per-use rate or go with unlimited. I bet I can guess which decision they think would sound like a better deal.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 12 (1,223 Views)
Contributor

My plan charges $.20 for text msgs and $.30 for MMSing photos. I have my new iPhone 4S setting adjusted to show "Send as SMS" turned OFF  - BUT, I'm still seeing the same charges posted to my account for texts I sent or received between other family members who also have iPhones with AT&T accounts. They all register as texts and not as data on my account. Where/when does free texting apply? 

Message 8 of 12 (1,206 Views)
Scholar

The messages must be sent as iMessage.  iMessages show as blue bubbles in the messaging app.

iMessage only works on iDevice running iOS5 and higher.  If your friends/relatives with iDevices have not upgraded those devices to iOS5, then there is no way to use iMessage to communicate with them.

Message 9 of 12 (1,178 Views)
ACE - Expert

scotpond wrote:

My plan charges $.20 for text msgs and $.30 for MMSing photos. I have my new iPhone 4S setting adjusted to show "Send as SMS" turned OFF  - BUT, I'm still seeing the same charges posted to my account for texts I sent or received between other family members who also have iPhones with AT&T accounts. They all register as texts and not as data on my account. Where/when does free texting apply? 

Make sure that they all have iMessage turned on in their Messaging Settings.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Message 10 of 12 (1,167 Views)
Contributor

Thanks everyone!  One last thing...

I assume if I turn off the "Send as SMS" option if iMessage is not available, I will still be able to send regular test messages to those people not running iOS 5?

Message 11 of 12 (1,015 Views)
Guru

That's correct!
Message 12 of 12 (1,006 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.