Helpful Links

Tethering with iPad

Tutor

Tethering with iPad

Can we FINALLY have this now? Please? At least with the iPad/iPhone combination?

Come on, AT&T! Be sports about this! Some of us have needs!

Message 1 of 63
Professor

Re: Tethering with iPad

Why?

Both the iPhone and iPad have 3G connections.

Your comment, and maybe I am misinterpreting this, almost sounds like you want to tether an iPad to an iPhone for a data connection.  Just plain silly in my opinion.

Message 2 of 63
Professor

satchev wrote:

Why?

Both the iPhone and iPad have 3G connections.

Your comment, and maybe I am misinterpreting this, almost sounds like you want to tether an iPad to an iPhone for a data connection.  Just plain silly in my opinion.

I think OP wants to get 3G free of charge for iPad since he/she already paying for iPhone's Data... Never gonna happen.
Message 3 of 63
Guru

i dont see the point of tethering with an iPad...
the iPad is much bigger than an iphone (which tethering will be available whenever att allows it for the iphone) and then ud have to pay for the 3g version of the ipad
and again the iPad is also able to terminate a contract at any time ...
wouldnt att lose money from this if tethering was allowed for the iPad?
Message 4 of 63
Guru

The way i took the OP is they are askign for at least a iPhone/iPad tethering option. Meaning using your iPhone to tether your iPad to the cellular data network. I really dont see how the 3G enabled units will sell very well unless they are subsidized. 629 is alot to ask someone to drop on the base 3G iPad.
Message 5 of 63

Not much of a chance for subsidizing without a contract........

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 6 of 63
Guru

I'm aware of that. But it would not be the first time AT&T has sold a Apple product both subsidized with a 2 year contract or Contract Free at full retail price. And I am jsut really saying if they want to move the 3G models selling some under a contract and subsidized would not hurt. Only the absolute dedicated or the insane ones would spend almost 900 dollars up front for a 3G enable 64gb iPad. You could potentially atract more peopl to the iPad by offeirng a subsidy. Specially those that are loyal to the ATT network.

click_clack wrote:
Not much of a chance for subsidizing without a contract........

Message 7 of 63

Neihn wrote:

I'm aware of that. But it would not be the first time AT&T has sold a Apple product both subsidized with a 2 year contract or Contract Free at full retail price. And I am jsut really saying if they want to move the 3G models selling some under a contract and subsidized would not hurt. Only the absolute dedicated or the insane ones would spend almost 900 dollars up front for a 3G enable 64gb iPad. You could potentially atract more peopl to the iPad by offeirng a subsidy. Specially those that are loyal to the ATT network.

I hear you but I guess we will wait and see. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 8 of 63
Tutor

For one thing, not all iPads have 3G connections, so I don't see why it would be silly at all.  Second, who really wants to pay for two separate 3G plans from AT&T?  I know AT&T would love that, but me, not so much...
Message 9 of 63
Tutor

You have it backwards.  The poster wants to use his or her iPhone as the internet connection for their iPad.

And as for tethering on the iPhone, today's announcement has me even more annoyed with AT&T than ever before.  

Also, AT&T's claims that its network can't handle iPhone tethering, but somehow it can handle the traffic from iPads, which will be much better suited to make use of very large files? Hmm... Either they don't expect many people to by iPads, or they just figure that they will have a harder time charging for iPad data access if iPhone users can tether to their laptops.

Perhaps they forgot what they said last summer:

"As for tethering, by its nature, this function could exponentially increase traffic on the network, and we need to ensure that some of our current upgrades are in place before we can deliver the expanded functionality with the excellent performance that customers expect," an AT&T spokeswoman said in an e-mail."
Message 10 of 63
Guru

mgear wrote:

You have it backwards.  The poster wants to use his or her iPhone as the internet connection for their iPad. I posted the same thign further up

And as for tethering on the iPhone, today's announcement has me even more annoyed with AT&T than ever before.  

Also, AT&T's claims that its network can't handle iPhone tethering, but somehow it can handle the traffic from iPads, which will be much better suited to make use of very large files? Hmm... Either they don't expect many people to by iPads, or they just figure that they will have a harder time charging for iPad data access if iPhone users can tether to their laptops.

Perhaps they forgot what they said last summer:

"As for tethering, by its nature, this function could exponentially increase traffic on the network, and we need to ensure that some of our current upgrades are in place before we can deliver the expanded functionality with the excellent performance that customers expect," an AT&T spokeswoman said in an e-mail."
My first guess is the data usage will still be limited like it is with the iPhone. The iPhone is stuck at 10meg max (legit) for downloads over the cellular network. They may increase that limit abit to allow for the downloading of eBooks but it will not be unrestricted like it would be with tethering a laptop. If the iPad is in deed limited in data transfer you are talking about a massive difference between adding iPads to the network vs adding several thousand accounts to tether to their laptops.

Message 11 of 63
Teacher

I'd like to know when AT&T will allow you to tether your iPhone-OS-running device to anything.

It's 2010 now, this is getting old. I wish I could cancel my contract for their complete ineptitude as a carrier.

Speaking of ineptitude, the forum signup process is horrible. You only find out you have too simple of a password when you get it wrong, then you have to re-check all the checkboxes and select your timezone again. As a software developer I'll give you a hint: you can remember the choice from dropdowns and checkboxes just like you can text lines and text fields. Oh and they'll filter words like the slang for a mentally disabled person from their forums. 

AT&T disappoints me so much. I want out. I should have never purchased an iPhone 3GS in the first place... or at least not from FailT&T.

Message 12 of 63
Guru

hmmm...
theres an app for your issue....
Message 13 of 63
Teacher

Yeah, on jailbroken iPhones. The native support in OS 3.0 is so clean though. That's why I havent upgraded the OS yet.
Message 14 of 63
Guru

no i was just being funny lol
but you are also correct
Message 15 of 63
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support