Tethering the LG Thrive?

Teacher

Tethering the LG Thrive?

So, if you have an LG Thrive and the unlimited everything...

I know that the data on the Thrive doesn't actually work ON the thrive, but would it work if you tethered it?

Message 1 of 4 (1,213 Views)

Re: Tethering the LG Thrive?

While Android, being a Linux based OS, usually has tethering as an inherent part of it's function, it is disabled by AT&T in order that you pay large sums of money to the almighty deathstar.  You would have to activate tethering (regardless if you have a data plan already) and pay about $60 for a data cap that isn't large enough to e-mail your mom.

You'd be better off with a Virgin Moble MiFi or some other unlimited data MiFi adapter.

I have a 2Gig data plan and I can't use my phone to tether.  Typical AT&T.

When my plan expires I'm going with another vendor.

Message 2 of 4 (1,092 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

[ Edited ]

SkeltonGoPhone wrote:

While Android, being a Linux based OS, usually has tethering as an inherent part of it's function, it is disabled by AT&T in order that you pay large sums of money to the almighty deathstar [correct and funny].  You would have to activate tethering (regardless if you have a data plan already) and pay about $60 for a data cap that isn't large enough to e-mail your mom.

I have a 2Gig data plan and I can't use my phone to tether.  Typical AT&T.

That's not all entirely true because there are many ways to accomplish the same goal. Google the issue before you give up on it entirely. Two words of caution though, grandfathered unlimited data plans are now severely speed handicapped at 2GB/mo. (so you're not necessarily doing yourself any favors) and rooting your Android will void your warranty.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4 (894 Views)

The reality is that data caps are nothing new to AT&T.  Even with "unlimited" as part of their name, they have always had caps in one form or another.

As for tethering, yes, Google themselves give us Thrive users an option to install tethering outside of AT&T's deathgrip.  As I explained to Tech Support, I have a data plan that gives me enough data usage to do what I need to do.  If I use tethering and still have the same amount, *AND* don't go over that amount - why block tethering?

But.....to keep things within the bounds of AT&T......you still have to bend over and spread your wallet to get what you already had, just now you can have the elated joy of turning on tethering for $40.00 more a month....

Message 4 of 4 (798 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.