Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

[ Edited ]

This is double billing pure and simple. If you pay for a data plan and it is advertised as unlimited, this means you get to download as much as you want from your phone device. If your "unlimited" plan isn't unlimited, this is false advertising and a class action lawsuit should be thrown at the carrier already, but if I decide I want to tether the phone to a laptop or tablet, if you are still using the unlimited plan you are already paying for. A tethering subscription is double billing. This is ripe for a class action lawsuit. All it needs to start is people continuing to jailbreak or root their phones and tether and refusing to pay the fees and if enough people do this the media will swarm and some lawyer will jump all offer a class action for the other people who did pay the fees. It's about time we do something about it. Data is data, and we're already paying (dearly) for it. Why do we have to pay more for the same data if it comes from a tethered laptop or any other device? It is double billing and we need to organize ourselves and seriously protest this type of biased measures from telcos.

Does Comcast charge me for tethering my laptop to my wireless router?  No.  Does it charge me for how many machines are on my network? No.

We are the only country where the telcos stick it to us in every way, shape, or form.  I'm sick of it.  If I have an unlimited data plan then I have an unlimited data plan whether I choose to access it from my iPhone or a tethered device.  There is NO difference.  I hope someone sues and we get our freedom to use the device as we choose back, we are doing NOTHING wrong by tethering.  Also, if you're so concerned about people abusing the cap, then ENFORCE IT, but don't make people pay out the nose for an additional service that's no different than connecting to a wireless hot spot at Starbucks. 

Rip off artists to the end.

Message 1 of 137 (4,105 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

qb.84 wrote:
Hey, you're right if we can both agree that this service is not provided by them but is something the iPhone can do on it's own. That's the point I'm trying to make. This is not about their terms, this is about why their terms need to change. I don't want free service, I want fair service.

LOL... I give up. You're steadfast in your ability to avoid reason.

You want free hotspot/tethering. You can't have it. That about covers the discussion.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 61 of 137 (818 Views)

qb.84 wrote:

I never said I wanted something for nothing. I said if I'm paying for 2 GB what difference does it make to use it on my phone or laptop.

First of all, you seem to be operating under the misunderstanding that AT&T charges an extra fee just for the ability to use tethering.  They don't.  They just charge you for a minimum of 4GB of data for the plan that includes tethering, instead of the 2GB minimum for the larger non-tethering plan.

Second, as to what difference it makes, you are paying for an account that lets you use at most 2GB per month without generating extra charges.  AT&T based what they charge for that plan on how much data they have determined that the average user will actually use on that plan per month.  Which I'm guessing is well short of 2GB.  When people start tethering other devices that are not as limited as the iPhone as to what they can do, their usage will go up.  But unless they are using their phone as their main home broadband connection I'm guessing that most people will still not go over 2GB, but they'll likely go well over what they would use with just the phone.  Meaning that AT&T is having to provide a lot more bandwidth for no extra compensation.

Their solution for that?  My first point.  Charge up front for 4GB of data instead of just 2.

Am I happy about it?  Not particularly.  But I understand why they are doing it.

Message 62 of 137 (801 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

archermoo wrote:

qb.84 wrote:

I never said I wanted something for nothing. I said if I'm paying for 2 GB what difference does it make to use it on my phone or laptop.

First of all, you seem to be operating under the misunderstanding that AT&T charges an extra fee just for the ability to use tethering.  They don't.  They just charge you for a minimum of 4GB of data for the plan that includes tethering, instead of the 2GB minimum for the larger non-tethering plan.

Second, as to what difference it makes, you are paying for an account that lets you use at most 2GB per month without generating extra charges.  AT&T based what they charge for that plan on how much data they have determined that the average user will actually use on that plan per month.  Which I'm guessing is well short of 2GB.  When people start tethering other devices that are not as limited as the iPhone as to what they can do, their usage will go up.  But unless they are using their phone as their main home broadband connection I'm guessing that most people will still not go over 2GB, but they'll likely go well over what they would use with just the phone.  Meaning that AT&T is having to provide a lot more bandwidth for no extra compensation.

Their solution for that?  My first point.  Charge up front for 4GB of data instead of just 2.

Am I happy about it?  Not particularly.  But I understand why they are doing it.

Um... No extra compensation??

What if I go over 2 GB? DataPro 2 GB for iPhone includes 2 GB of data for use in the U.S. If 2 GB is exceeded, an additional 1 GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 for each additional 1 GB.

why can't we just use this instead of forcing us to pay more?

Message 63 of 137 (792 Views)
Expert

qb.84 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

qb.84 wrote:
Yes I get it. You all like to pay for something the phone you bought does for you. Either all of you work for AT&T or you're all very naive. Keep agreeing to everything and soon you'll end up paying for the ability to pay your bills too.

You are making numerous errors in your assumptions - first unless there is a dislcaimer about it being their opinion and not ATT's they are not employees of ATT.

Second if you are tetheirng now, go ahead and keep doing it - on the 27th of this month you will get a notice that if you continue to violate the terms of your cellular service agreement by tethering without paying for it, ATT will enfore their legal right to add what eer is required to your account to bring you into legal agreement with your cellular service agreement - aka they will add what ever is required to make you legal - and there is not a thing you can do about it - if you terminate your contract, you owe the etf

Third just because you have bought a phone that has the ability to tether you cannot use it unless you pay the bill for the ability, my shelby cobra (phone) will top 170 mph easily, just becasue it can do it does not mean I can on the highway (data charges), if I want to do it I have to pay to rent a private track (tethering charges) that has no speed limit.

Your analogy is flawed. It works more like this. AT&T gives you gas for a car. Why should I pay extra for using that gas on another car if at the end the amount is going to be the same? That "private track" is already yours when you bought the phone. Try again!

Also, it wouldnt be the first company that hires people to make them look good on forums, reviews, etc

wrong the "private track" would not be the phone, the private track is the carrier's data network, the phone would be the car so no the analogy is not flawed. Dealwith it, after the 27th there will be no choice

car = phone

track = carrier's network

/rofl nice TFHS - I can absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt that I am NOT a employee nor a paid shill of ATT or any of it's licesned subsidaries now of any of the companies they do business with - try again.

Message 64 of 137 (773 Views)
Expert

qb.84 wrote:
Hey, you're right if we can both agree that this service is not provided by them but is something the iPhone can do on it's own. That's the point I'm trying to make. This is not about their terms, this is about why their terms need to change. I don't want free service, I want fair service.

this is about people wanting a feature for nothing -- plain simple end of discussiion, No carrier providers a tethering feature for free, nothing new goes back to the first smartphone tat wsa released to the unwashed masses, the tethering feature has NEVER been free

Message 65 of 137 (772 Views)
ACE - Professor

qb.84 wrote:

archermoo wrote:

qb.84 wrote:

Um... No extra compensation??

What if I go over 2 GB? DataPro 2 GB for iPhone includes 2 GB of data for use in the U.S. If 2 GB is exceeded, an additional 1 GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 for each additional 1 GB.

why can't we just use this instead of forcing us to pay more?

You get the first 2GB "extra" when you sign up for the service.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 66 of 137 (747 Views)
Teacher

To all: I was under the impression we would have to pay $45 extra just for tethering. Now, to someone who said no companies give tether for free, wrong. Maybe in the USA but that just proves how Americans like to be screwed over. When discussing arguments you should try to understand the other point of view first. Most of you started defending AT&T without analyzing what I was trying to say. It's simple. You buy the phone, the phone has the capability to do something else with a service you already bought then why charge more? Stop thinking about contracts and terms for a minute and tell me it doesn't make sense. That's all.
Message 67 of 137 (735 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

qb.84 wrote:

this is about people wanting a feature for nothing -- plain simple end of discussiion, No carrier providers a tethering feature for free, nothing new goes back to the first smartphone tat wsa released to the unwashed masses, the tethering feature has NEVER been free

Actually, tethering is free. It is just not on the 2GB plan. If you use 4GB of data without tethering it will cost $45, the same as if you have the tethering plan. AT&T makes you buy more data if you are going to tether. This comes from the flawed analogy that customers that tether will use high amounts of data. While there are some that will, there just as many that won't. Just the same, there are some users that use large amounts of data without tethering. The real issue is with the unlimited plan because there is no cap and no ability to charge for excessive usage that could come from tethering. This is where the abuse comes in. The old unlimited smartphone plan with tethering cost $30 more, todays equivlent of 3GB, and had a 5GB soft cap. Today, you can get 5MB of tethering for $55, the same cost as if you don't tether and on par with what we had in the past.

Message 68 of 137 (720 Views)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

qb.84 wrote:

Actually, tethering is free. It is just not on the 2GB plan. If you use 4GB of data without tethering it will cost $45, the same as if you have the tethering plan. AT&T makes you buy more data if you are going to tether. This comes from the flawed analogy that customers that tether will use high amounts of data. While there are some that will, there just as many that won't. Just the same, there are some users that use large amounts of data without tethering. The real issue is with the unlimited plan because there is no cap and no ability to charge for excessive usage that could come from tethering. This is where the abuse comes in. The old unlimited smartphone plan with tethering cost $30 more, todays equivlent of 3GB, and had a 5GB soft cap. Today, you can get 5MB of tethering for $55, the same cost as if you don't tether and on par with what we had in the past.

you don;t get the 2gb without adding the tethering feature so be your logic, the 2gb of data could be free and you pay for the tethering service. matter of your bhl semantics

Message 69 of 137 (692 Views)
Contributor

Lets explain it like this: You by some glasses. the frames are yours (phone) with your att service you get the lenses (connection) and a book written on sticky note pads (your formated data plan) You pay for this each month. Now if you want to read the full version hard cover book, (tethering) you have to pay extra, because its harder to get to you. This should help explain WHY tethering packages are more expensive. you are not paying double, or extra for something you already paid for. you only paid for the sticky note pad version.
Message 70 of 137 (670 Views)
ACE - Professor

qb.84 wrote:
To all: I was under the impression we would have to pay $45 extra just for tethering. Now, to someone who said no companies give tether for free, wrong. Maybe in the USA but that just proves how Americans like to be screwed over. When discussing arguments you should try to understand the other point of view first. Most of you started defending AT&T without analyzing what I was trying to say. It's simple. You buy the phone, the phone has the capability to do something else with a service you already bought then why charge more? Stop thinking about contracts and terms for a minute and tell me it doesn't make sense. That's all.

It makes perfect sense for a for-profit company to charge what the market will pay. You may be new to capitalism, perhaps? Or free market economies? I can tell you countries where you pay for every single SMS message sent, but not for any received. Or, where you pay for every KB of data, vs having a pool of data included. So what? Among US carriers, only T-Mobile *used* to officially support tethering on non-tethering plans, and they just ended that support this year.

None of us (not me, anyway) are defending AT&T. We're simply pointing out the fallacy of your argument. You are arguing from (your own sense of) fairness, and fairness has nothing to do with charging extra for hotspot.

You bought service for 2GB (or unlimited, I really can't remember at this point) of data use to use as you see fit* ON THE PHONE. Now, you think that that should include using that data on other devices via the phone. You want to change the terms you agreed to, and you're trying to justify it by using a "fairness" argument.

* even on the phone, you agreed to several important limitation as to how you can use the data. You might see those as "unfair" as well.

Message 71 of 137 (680 Views)
Expert

qb.84 wrote:

Since this is a US based forum and the primary usage of the carrier is US based, it does not matter what any other country does, you want that ability, move there then you can get it. The crux of this discussion is US based carriers, do not matter what O2, Rigers or Orange does.

Want to stop this "insanity" - simple get some investors for a startup company and start your own carrier in the US then you can set the policies to what ever carrier you want them to be - simple solutions

Message 72 of 137 (652 Views)

johninsj wrote:

Dellman87 wrote:
AT&T says that tethering is another type of service. I agree with that part. AT&T allows for unlimited data for the iPhone and no other devices. I don't agree on what "unlimited" is. It should be that I should use that unlimited however i see fit. I think also that as long as you are not a power user you shouldn't be cut off.

Let me help you with your understanding

"AT&T allows for unlimited data for the iPhone"

When you're using data on your phone, you can use as much as you want. That's unlimited, yes? You can use the data ON THE PHONE any way you want, yes?

Ok, good.

Now, hook your phone up to some other device acting as a network, or use your phone as a hotspot acting as a wireless access point. Now, you are no longer using data ON YOUR PHONE, yes?

So, here is a NEW use for data, which isn't covered in the agreement you signed. In fact, the agreement you signed says, specifically, you CANNOT use the phone to provide data access to OTHER devices.

Now, there is no confusion. Unlimted data use ON YOUR PHONE. Not using your phone to provide unlimited data use to ANOTHER DEVICE.

I have no problem with you telling me about the TOS and whatnot but aren't you still using that data you paid for through that phone? Haha. (I know what the rules are, I'm just enjoying reading everyone's opinions.)
Message 73 of 137 (633 Views)

johninsj wrote:

You want free hotspot/tethering. You can't have it. That about covers the discussion.

Technically you CAN have it, it's just frowned upon when you do it without paying more.

Message 74 of 137 (630 Views)

qb.84 wrote:
I think I heard somewhere that only the united states companies (wireless carriers) make you pay for tethering. Other campaniles don't. Can someone confirm this?
Message 75 of 137 (624 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.