Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

[ Edited ]

This is double billing pure and simple. If you pay for a data plan and it is advertised as unlimited, this means you get to download as much as you want from your phone device. If your "unlimited" plan isn't unlimited, this is false advertising and a class action lawsuit should be thrown at the carrier already, but if I decide I want to tether the phone to a laptop or tablet, if you are still using the unlimited plan you are already paying for. A tethering subscription is double billing. This is ripe for a class action lawsuit. All it needs to start is people continuing to jailbreak or root their phones and tether and refusing to pay the fees and if enough people do this the media will swarm and some lawyer will jump all offer a class action for the other people who did pay the fees. It's about time we do something about it. Data is data, and we're already paying (dearly) for it. Why do we have to pay more for the same data if it comes from a tethered laptop or any other device? It is double billing and we need to organize ourselves and seriously protest this type of biased measures from telcos.

Does Comcast charge me for tethering my laptop to my wireless router?  No.  Does it charge me for how many machines are on my network? No.

We are the only country where the telcos stick it to us in every way, shape, or form.  I'm sick of it.  If I have an unlimited data plan then I have an unlimited data plan whether I choose to access it from my iPhone or a tethered device.  There is NO difference.  I hope someone sues and we get our freedom to use the device as we choose back, we are doing NOTHING wrong by tethering.  Also, if you're so concerned about people abusing the cap, then ENFORCE IT, but don't make people pay out the nose for an additional service that's no different than connecting to a wireless hot spot at Starbucks. 

Rip off artists to the end.

Message 1 of 137 (4,107 Views)
Expert

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

qb.84 wrote:
How about 2GB ($25) + nothing else? You don't seem to understand the concept of tethering. How would you like if your ISP started charging for each device you connect at home? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe for the greedy companies but not for "loyal and understanding" customers.

you are paying for your device as a endpoint, not as a access point on phone data, on home data you are paying for that LAN ability already - which is why your costs are higher then a measely 25.00.

you get an additional 2gb with the 20.00 tether. don't like it leave but even veriizon charges additional for tetghering with their unlimited, you guess it - 20.00 for a 2GB cap.

Message 31 of 137 (751 Views)

AT&T says that tethering is another type of service. I agree with that part. AT&T allows for unlimited data for the iPhone and no other devices. I don't agree on what "unlimited" is. It should be that I should use that unlimited however i see fit. I think also that as long as you are not a power user you shouldn't be cut off.
Message 32 of 137 (746 Views)
Expert

Dellman87 wrote:
AT&T says that tethering is another type of service. I agree with that part. AT&T allows for unlimited data for the iPhone and no other devices. I don't agree on what "unlimited" is. It should be that I should use that unlimited however i see fit. I think also that as long as you are not a power user you shouldn't be cut off.

So borrow money and do a startup for another carrier and you can do this., then you can do this That is the only way you can dictate terms the way you want.

Message 33 of 137 (742 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Dellman87 wrote:

Let me help you with your understanding

"AT&T allows for unlimited data for the iPhone"

When you're using data on your phone, you can use as much as you want. That's unlimited, yes? You can use the data ON THE PHONE any way you want, yes?

Ok, good.

Now, hook your phone up to some other device acting as a network, or use your phone as a hotspot acting as a wireless access point. Now, you are no longer using data ON YOUR PHONE, yes?

So, here is a NEW use for data, which isn't covered in the agreement you signed. In fact, the agreement you signed says, specifically, you CANNOT use the phone to provide data access to OTHER devices.

Now, there is no confusion. Unlimted data use ON YOUR PHONE. Not using your phone to provide unlimited data use to ANOTHER DEVICE.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 137 (719 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Um... No I'm paying for 2GB, and using an iPhone capability to use that same 2 GB however I want. I never said Verizon was any better btw. It's fine if you like to be charged for something they don't provide but I don't.

Message 35 of 137 (709 Views)
Scholar

there comes a point where we have to agree to disagree.  I signed my contract and understood that i could not tether without a plan.  the tether plan became more applicable to my usage pattern so i added it.  if it had not i wouldn't have added it, but i would not be crying about how AT&T was somehow screwing me over because I signed the contract and knew what it said.  but oh well, to each their own, the griping may get you something, but with the announcement that tether theft would be monitored and you will now lose your unlimited plan and be switched to a tethering plan.

Message 36 of 137 (686 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

There comes a point also when you have to think with your own brain and notice you are being screwed over. Maybe if tethering was costing AT&T more, maybe using another device but no, it's all done in the iPhone. I don't care about unlimited, I barely use any of the data anyways, I just know when something is fair and when it's just plain greed.

Message 37 of 137 (680 Views)
Contributor

The unlimited plan uses a different type of internet access. It is formated different than a tethering plan. Your Iphone unlimited plan is also grandfathered. You are lucky you still have it. Changing to a compatible data plan (with or without tethering) will remove the unlimited plan, as you can not have 2 data plans on 1 phone.
Message 38 of 137 (660 Views)
Scholar

AT&T's cell side is already competing with the home line side. I doubt they will compete with the dsl side. Every customer they lose because the user wants to stream movies and do torrents over mobile broadband, they will gain hundreds from the carrier they switched to because of bad connections. Do everyone a favor and just leave quietly. You seriously won't be missed.
Message 39 of 137 (647 Views)
ACE - Professor

qb.84 wrote:

Um... No I'm paying for 2GB, and using an iPhone capability to use that same 2 GB however I want. I never said Verizon was any better btw. It's fine if you like to be charged for something they don't provide but I don't.

Um. No, you're paying for 2GB however you want ON THE PHONE, and you agreed when you signed the contract that the meaning of "on the phone" is "on the phone, not via the phone from a 2nd (or more) device"

If you didn't read your contract before you signed it, that's not really AT&T's fault.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 137 (637 Views)
ACE - Professor

qb.84 wrote:

There comes a point also when you have to think with your own brain and notice you are being screwed over. Maybe if tethering was costing AT&T more, maybe using another device but no, it's all done in the iPhone. I don't care about unlimited, I barely use any of the data anyways, I just know when something is fair and when it's just plain greed.

Doesn't matter how you try to think your way out of the contract you signed, the fact is you signed the contract and agreed to the terms of the contract.

When discussing contracts, "fair" doesn't apply after the point of agreement. Which you are well past now.

Message 41 of 137 (722 Views)
Teacher

Yes I get it. You all like to pay for something the phone you bought does for you. Either all of you work for AT&T or you're all very naive. Keep agreeing to everything and soon you'll end up paying for the ability to pay your bills too.
Message 42 of 137 (718 Views)
Scholar

I don't like paying bills. I like being able to make calls, text, and look on the Internet so I pay for the services. What makes America so great is the sense of entitlement and the freedom to express it.
Message 43 of 137 (703 Views)
Expert

qb.84 wrote:
Yes I get it. You all like to pay for something the phone you bought does for you. Either all of you work for AT&T or you're all very naive. Keep agreeing to everything and soon you'll end up paying for the ability to pay your bills too.

you already do, stamps, paper check costs, transfer fees from your bank to name a few

Message 44 of 137 (686 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

qb.84 wrote:

You are making numerous errors in your assumptions - first unless there is a dislcaimer about it being their opinion and not ATT's they are not employees of ATT.

Second if you are tetheirng now, go ahead and keep doing it - on the 27th of this month you will get a notice that if you continue to violate the terms of your cellular service agreement by tethering without paying for it, ATT will enfore their legal right to add what eer is required to your account to bring you into legal agreement with your cellular service agreement - aka they will add what ever is required to make you legal - and there is not a thing you can do about it - if you terminate your contract, you owe the etf

Third just because you have bought a phone that has the ability to tether you cannot use it unless you pay the bill for the ability, my shelby cobra (phone) will top 170 mph easily, just becasue it can do it does not mean I can on the highway (data charges), if I want to do it I have to pay to rent a private track (tethering charges) that has no speed limit.

Message 45 of 137 (684 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.