Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

[ Edited ]

This is double billing pure and simple. If you pay for a data plan and it is advertised as unlimited, this means you get to download as much as you want from your phone device. If your "unlimited" plan isn't unlimited, this is false advertising and a class action lawsuit should be thrown at the carrier already, but if I decide I want to tether the phone to a laptop or tablet, if you are still using the unlimited plan you are already paying for. A tethering subscription is double billing. This is ripe for a class action lawsuit. All it needs to start is people continuing to jailbreak or root their phones and tether and refusing to pay the fees and if enough people do this the media will swarm and some lawyer will jump all offer a class action for the other people who did pay the fees. It's about time we do something about it. Data is data, and we're already paying (dearly) for it. Why do we have to pay more for the same data if it comes from a tethered laptop or any other device? It is double billing and we need to organize ourselves and seriously protest this type of biased measures from telcos.

Does Comcast charge me for tethering my laptop to my wireless router?  No.  Does it charge me for how many machines are on my network? No.

We are the only country where the telcos stick it to us in every way, shape, or form.  I'm sick of it.  If I have an unlimited data plan then I have an unlimited data plan whether I choose to access it from my iPhone or a tethered device.  There is NO difference.  I hope someone sues and we get our freedom to use the device as we choose back, we are doing NOTHING wrong by tethering.  Also, if you're so concerned about people abusing the cap, then ENFORCE IT, but don't make people pay out the nose for an additional service that's no different than connecting to a wireless hot spot at Starbucks. 

Rip off artists to the end.

Message 1 of 137 (4,111 Views)

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

It would be easy to implement:

1.  If you want permanent tethering and you're on unlimited you'll have to drop your unlimited data plan and go to one of the tiered plans.

2.  If you want occasional tethering you pay per month and are capped by what you pay for, $20 for 2GB, $30 for 4GB, etc...

It's a ridiculously easy soultion to this entire thing, no one would gripe about it anymore...I certainly wouldn't.

As I said, potentially even easy to implement.  But like I said since it would remove an incentive people have to switch away from unlimited plans it probably isn't one that AT&T would find to be in their best interests.  But hey, I hope I'm wrong. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 137 (1,910 Views)

As I said, potentially even easy to implement.  But like I said since it would remove an incentive people have to switch away from unlimited plans it probably isn't one that AT&T would find to be in their best interests.  But hey, I hope I'm wrong. Smiley Happy

I hope so too...something like this would be profitable either way for them.  I would use it probably 2-3 months out of the year so they would get money out of me instead of avoiding it completely.

Message 17 of 137 (1,907 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

archermoo wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

Nice solution.  Try again.

I have unlimited data, I shouldn't have to move to a tiered data plan if I want to occasionally use my phone for tethering.

Here's a solution:

Make the same price point as AT&T has for the iPad 3G....make it on a per-use basis.

If I want to use tethering for a month due to me being in an area where I can't get a wifi signal for my Laptop/iPad, I can enable tethering for a monthly fee and have a data limit on it.  Say, $20 for the month to enable tethering for my phone with 2GB of data.  This will more than cover the data I will use for email/browsing for business purposes between work and my drop box account, and then when the month is up my tethering will go back to being disabled and I will still have unlimited data on my phone without having to move to a tiered data plan.

Easy solution, AT&T should look into it.

Easy to describe and potentially even relatively easy to implement, but since it removes incentive for people to move off of the unlimited plans probably not one that AT&T is interested in implementing.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it to.  But it is hardly in AT&T's best interest to do something like this.

It would be easy to implement:

1.  If you want permanent tethering and you're on unlimited you'll have to drop your unlimited data plan and go to one of the tiered plans.

2.  If you want occasional tethering you pay per month and are capped by what you pay for, $20 for 2GB, $30 for 4GB, etc...you'd still have your unlimited plan, you'd just be capped on tethering.

It's a ridiculously easy soultion to this entire thing, no one would gripe about it anymore...I certainly wouldn't.  Plus it would halt the jailbreakers who would probably jump on something like this.  It's win/win.

Not even verizon is letting people with unlimited data tether with no cap or additional charge - you can keep your unlimited data therer but if you want to tether you pay 20.00 for 2GB, that is their solotion - maybe ATT needs to implement that method for those that have the unlimited plan on their phone - you get to keep unlimited data for your Iphone use as the end point, and you pay for the feature to turn your iphone into a acces point and pass thru to other devices.

Tethering for ANY att smartphone was never free, even when therer was a unlimited data plan available as a feature code

The basic misconception you have is there is NO unlimited data plan available anymore as a feature code for new or existing users, there is little ROI for developing new features and programmer time for something that is sunseted and will eventual drop off the face of billing

Message 18 of 137 (1,889 Views)

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

I hope so too...something like this would be profitable either way for them.  I would use it probably 2-3 months out of the year so they would get money out of me instead of avoiding it completely.

Potentially so.  But I'm guessing that AT&T would rather give you and others in your situation incentive to get off of your unlimited plans.  Which would either bring in more money for them, or free up more bandwidth.

Message 19 of 137 (1,850 Views)
Teacher

I love how people defend AT&T. None of you realize they are charging for a service they don't provide. This expensive device we all bought is the one doing everything when it comes to tethering. The only good thing about this is that I will probably get out of my contract for free if they change my plan =].
Message 20 of 137 (1,806 Views)
Expert

qb.84 wrote:
I love how people defend AT&T. None of you realize they are charging for a service they don't provide. This expensive device we all bought is the one doing everything when it comes to tethering. The only good thing about this is that I will probably get out of my contract for free if they change my plan =].

Why is disagreeing with a opinion defending ATT?  besides another point - it is NOT just ATT that does this, every carrier in the US does, so if you want to do this you will need to leave the country.

Message 21 of 137 (1,622 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

It's common sense. I know it is not only AT&T. We need to stop companies from robbing us. And the fact that AT&T is charging for a service don't provide isn't an opinion it's a fact. This is all about fairness. I understand people abuse the system as well but in this case deal with those people instead of screwing everyone over. If I'm paying for 2GB of data let me use them however I want. If I go over charge me more, but charging extra for something the iPhone does on it's own is ROBBERY.

Message 22 of 137 (1,600 Views)
ACE - Professor

qb.84 wrote:

We need to stop companies from robbing us.

Here's how you do that in a free market economy. You don't buy the service.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 137 (1,585 Views)
Teacher

I have no plans on paying for something I'm paying already.
Message 24 of 137 (1,582 Views)
Professor

qb.84 wrote:

This is the most valid point of all. I have posted it numerous times. There was a time when it was a service actually provided by the carriers. When you used a modem in the phone to dial up the carriers servers. Today it is just a form of networking that is built in to the devices. With the older versions of WiMo, you actually have to disable the modem in the device for a tethered connection. The connection shows up under network adapters. It doesn't cost the carriers any more to provide tethering, just the additional data, which they already charge for if you go over your cap. The exception being the unlimited plan, and here is where the greatest concern lies. When AT&T came out with the new tethering plan that charged you $20 more for the same amount of data you get with the Pro plan, it was unjustified. Now that AT&T has added the additional 2GB for the tethering plan, it is balanced. However there customers with the Pro plan should be able to tether as well, since they will face additional costs for going over the 2GB cap. The unlimited plan should be the only issue since there is no way for AT&T to recover the additional data used due to tethering since there is no cap. Unfortunately, AT&T assumes that if someone tethers, they are going to use gross amounts of data. This is in fact untrue. AT&T has proven this themselves by stating that only 5% of it's customers use more than 2GB of data and tethering under the radar is not something new. It has been going on for the longest. The problem is still the abusers. And due to the fact of the increase of streaming on devices, AT&T thinks the problem is worse than it is. There are many customers that tether in a pinch and don't even come close to going over 2GB. Unfortunately, yet again, it is the users that have no negative impact on the network congestion that will get slammed due to the abusers. AT&T has a big round target on unlimited data plans right now and that is what this is mainly about. Without them, there is less of a concern of how the data is used because if you use excessive amounts of data, you are going to pay for going over the cap.

Message 25 of 137 (1,565 Views)
Scholar

GREAT!!!!  Please leave.  You will free up bandwidth for us more loyal and understanding, not to mention logically thinking customers.  It is an easy solution and you hit the nail on the head:  If you do not like AT&Ts policies then opt out and go to Verizon where you will have LIMITED data and NOT be able to use it and voice at the same time!  By the way you gripers have all been claiming you are going to leave for years now.  Well you all had your chance to when Verizon got the iPhone, guess what?  No mass exodus as promised.  I personally know 3 people who were leaving that were no longer under contract so no ETF to pay.  THey looked into the Verizon plans, coverage and abilities of their iPhone and here they came and got the iPhone 4 and signed a new 2 year agreement.  One is even staying without contract waiting for the 5 to come out.  Verizon ain't all its cracked up to be!  But by all means jump ship, as you ain't doing nothing but helping me when you do!!!

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

And for those of you who cannot comprehend the meaning:

un·lim·it·ed

–adjective
not limited;  unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

nice quote of dictionary, now d the same your your terms of service, they are not double billing you - tethering is a feature not a service.

As of march 27th you will not have unlimited data if you continue to tether you will be automaticly be downgraded to the tethering plan - all valid per the termos of your cellualr carrier contract.

No, the issue is you sit there and accept the garbage you're given.  Other countries don't charge for tethering, you can use the iPhone in Canada and not tether, you're just complacent and not willing to fight it and make a change.

It's okay though iPhone 5 and 6 will see the mass exodus away from AT&T when 3GS and 4 contracts go, and I'll be one of them.

Tethering is a RIPOFF and another way for them to nickel and dime you to death, but I suppose you're not competent enough to realize that.

Message 26 of 137 (1,552 Views)
Scholar

qb.84 wrote:

O so they do not provide the data that you are tethering???  I guess it just pops onto the magical iPhone all by itself huh???  Get off it man!  I hope you all get out of your contracts and go to Verizon (ahem...you ain't gonna have unlimited over there by the way)  Plus look at the price of the plan and AT&T is NOT charging for tethering!!!!!!!!  It is $25 for 2 GB plus $10 for each additional GB.  So if A&T gives you 4GB for $45 guess what???  $25 for initial 2 GB + $10 for 3rd GB + $10 for 4th GB = $45!  basically pay for 4 GB and get tethering for FREE!!!  And in answer to the unlimited plan people who want to tether:  TOUGH!!!  I am on AT&Ts side on this, I don't need you cluttering my bandwidth up anymore than it already is!!!  And for those of you that say "I would hardly ever use it!"  well guess what:  for each of you there is 5 others that would have their laptop, and 4 of their friends laptops tethered up sucking bandwidth down the drain.  So I can only hope AT&T sticks to their guns on that point!

Message 27 of 137 (1,546 Views)
Professor

clowry wrote:

qb.84 wrote:

O so they do not provide the data that you are tethering???  I guess it just pops onto the magical iPhone all by itself huh???  Get off it man!  I hope you all get out of your contracts and go to Verizon (ahem...you ain't gonna have unlimited over there by the way)  Plus look at the price of the plan and AT&T is NOT charging for tethering!!!!!!!!  It is $25 for 2 GB plus $10 for each additional GB.  So if A&T gives you 4GB for $45 guess what???  $25 for initial 2 GB + $10 for 3rd GB + $10 for 4th GB = $45!  basically pay for 4 GB and get tethering for FREE!!!  And in answer to the unlimited plan people who want to tether:  TOUGH!!!  I am on AT&Ts side on this, I don't need you cluttering my bandwidth up anymore than it already is!!!  And for those of you that say "I would hardly ever use it!"  well guess what:  for each of you there is 5 others that would have their laptop, and 4 of their friends laptops tethered up sucking bandwidth down the drain.  So I can only hope AT&T sticks to their guns on that point!

He didn't say "provide the data". He said provide the service. In other words, once you have purchased the data, you don't need AT&T to tether it. This is true. Otherwise, this wouldn't be an on going discussion right now. With five laptops tethered to a crappy 3G connection, you are hardly going to see any sucking of bandwidth down the drain, maybe trickling down the drain, but definitely not sucking. LOL.

Message 28 of 137 (1,528 Views)
Teacher

How about 2GB ($25) + nothing else? You don't seem to understand the concept of tethering. How would you like if your ISP started charging for each device you connect at home? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe for the greedy companies but not for "loyal and understanding" customers.
Message 29 of 137 (1,515 Views)
Expert

qb.84 wrote:
I have no plans on paying for something I'm paying already.

You are NOT paying for tethering already, tehtering has NEVER been free on ANY carrier, unlimited or not, it was a different plan that was higher priced, deal with it. After teh 27th ATT will be force changing any data plan user that is tethering and not paying for it - perfectly within their righs as the provider

Message 30 of 137 (1,509 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.