Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

This is double billing pure and simple. If you pay for a data plan and it is advertised as unlimited, this means you get to download as much as you want from your phone device. If your "unlimited" plan isn't unlimited, this is false advertising and a class action lawsuit should be thrown at the carrier already, but if I decide I want to tether the phone to a laptop or tablet, if you are still using the unlimited plan you are already paying for. A tethering subscription is double billing. This is ripe for a class action lawsuit. All it needs to start is people continuing to jailbreak or root their phones and tether and refusing to pay the fees and if enough people do this the media will swarm and some lawyer will jump all offer a class action for the other people who did pay the fees. It's about time we do something about it. Data is data, and we're already paying (dearly) for it. Why do we have to pay more for the same data if it comes from a tethered laptop or any other device? It is double billing and we need to organize ourselves and seriously protest this type of biased measures from telcos.

 

Does Comcast charge me for tethering my laptop to my wireless router?  No.  Does it charge me for how many machines are on my network? No.

 

We are the only country where the telcos stick it to us in every way, shape, or form.  I'm sick of it.  If I have an unlimited data plan then I have an unlimited data plan whether I choose to access it from my iPhone or a tethered device.  There is NO difference.  I hope someone sues and we get our freedom to use the device as we choose back, we are doing NOTHING wrong by tethering.  Also, if you're so concerned about people abusing the cap, then ENFORCE IT, but don't make people pay out the nose for an additional service that's no different than connecting to a wireless hot spot at Starbucks. 

 

Rip off artists to the end.

4,171 Views
Message 1 of 137

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

And for those of you who cannot comprehend the meaning:

 

un·lim·it·ed

–adjective
1.
not limited;  unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
2.
boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
3.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

Message 2 of 137
Expert

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff


IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

And for those of you who cannot comprehend the meaning:

 

un·lim·it·ed

–adjective
1.
not limited;  unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
2.
boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
3.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.


nice quote of dictionary, now d the same your your terms of service, they are not double billing you - tethering is a feature not a service.

 

As of march 27th you will not have unlimited data if you continue to tether you will be automaticly be downgraded to the tethering plan - all valid per the termos of your cellualr carrier contract.

Message 3 of 137

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

 


wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

And for those of you who cannot comprehend the meaning:

 

un·lim·it·ed

–adjective
1.
not limited;  unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
2.
boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
3.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.


nice quote of dictionary, now d the same your your terms of service, they are not double billing you - tethering is a feature not a service.

 

As of march 27th you will not have unlimited data if you continue to tether you will be automaticly be downgraded to the tethering plan - all valid per the termos of your cellualr carrier contract.


 

No, the issue is you sit there and accept the garbage you're given.  Other countries don't charge for tethering, you can use the iPhone in Canada and not tether, you're just complacent and not willing to fight it and make a change.

 

It's okay though iPhone 5 and 6 will see the mass exodus away from AT&T when 3GS and 4 contracts go, and I'll be one of them.

 

Tethering is a RIPOFF and another way for them to nickel and dime you to death, but I suppose you're not competent enough to realize that.

Message 4 of 137
Professor

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

It's a solid argument. I agree with you there, but unlimited data plan has been abolished since December 2009 and put into effect on June 2010. Tethering was part of that argument as well, and today it costs the same price as AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and other carrier laptop plans for $50 5GB plus an $5 iPhone fee ($55) or $100 for 10GB. The $20 fee was waived and is part of your plan.

 

Unlimited iPhone Data Plan Tethering is not part of your AT&T contract and never has. Nor will it be on the Verizon contract or Sprint or T-Mobile contracts. I do agree that the pricing is extremely high ($105 a month for 10GB) but AT&T and the rest are paying for free riders tens of millions of dollars to keep their services running.

Message 5 of 137
ACE - Professor

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

You have unlimited use of data on the iPhone, per the terms of service you agreed to when you signed your contract.

 

This is getting boring. If you don't understand the terms of your contract, why did you sign it? If you disagreed with the terms of your contract, why did you sign it?

 

 

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 137

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

Tethering is not double billing.  The grandfathered unlimited data plan allows you to have an unlimited amount of data to your iPhone, and explicitly disallows tethering.  The current non-tethering plans both also expliciitly disallow tethering.  The only current plan that allows for tethering comes with a 4GB data allowance, and costs the same as the 2GB non-tethering plan with 2 additional GB of data added.  At worst the tethering plan simply requires that the user pay up front for an extra 2GB of data whether they use it or not.

 

As to the unlimited data plan being false advertising, that one is a non-starter as well.  "Unlimited" is just the name of the plan.  They could've called it the "ASDFASF Plan" if they wanted.  But unlimited is a perfectly reasonable description of it.  You can use however much data you want on the iPhone itself and get charged no additional fees.  Just because a word is used in the description of something doesn't mean that all possible meanings of that word have to be equally valid.

Message 7 of 137
Contributor

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

Here is my beef with the Tethering/WiFi Hot Spot. I am willing to pay for it, I don't have a problem with that, what makes me mad is I have an unlimited data plan and AT&T wants to cut off my unlimited and then put me on a 4G plan with tethering.  I want to keep my unlimited plan and pay $10 or $15 dollars more a month for the option but to just cut me off and make me pay $45 and loose my unlimited they can go to &%#$. 

Message 8 of 137
Professor

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff


josephz2va wrote:

It's a solid argument. I agree with you there, but unlimited data plan has been abolished since December 2009 and put into effect on June 2010. Tethering was part of that argument as well, and today it costs the same price as AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and other carrier laptop plans for $50 5GB plus an $5 iPhone fee ($55) or $100 for 10GB. The $20 fee was waived and is part of your plan.

 

Unlimited iPhone Data Plan Tethering is not part of your AT&T contract and never has. Nor will it be on the Verizon contract or Sprint or T-Mobile contracts. I do agree that the pricing is extremely high ($105 a month for 10GB) but AT&T and the rest are paying for free riders tens of millions of dollars to keep their services running.


I don't disagree that it is all spelled out in the TOS and contracts. I do disagree of the practice of telling a customer how he can use the data he paid for. I do see where it would probably not be in the best interest of the carrier to allow tethering with unlimited, due to potential abuse, but not every customer is an abuser. In fact, according to AT&T, 95% of it's customers stay under 2GB, many of which are still on the unlimited plan and doing a little tethering. Many of these customers choose to keep the unlimited as insurance, but they could just as easily switch to the 2GB plan. However, if a customer is on the 2GB data plan, it shouldn't matter if he/she tethers some of that data or not, regardless of how quickly he uses it. Since there is a cap, if the customer gets to this cap quickly, the customer will pay for additional usage. AT&T loses nothing in this scenario. In fact, AT&T picks up additional revenue to maintain the network for the higher usage.

Message 9 of 137
Scholar

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff


IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

And for those of you who cannot comprehend the meaning:

 

un·lim·it·ed

–adjective
1.
not limited;  unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
2.
boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
3.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.


nice quote of dictionary, now d the same your your terms of service, they are not double billing you - tethering is a feature not a service.

 

As of march 27th you will not have unlimited data if you continue to tether you will be automaticly be downgraded to the tethering plan - all valid per the termos of your cellualr carrier contract.


 

No, the issue is you sit there and accept the garbage you're given.  Other countries don't charge for tethering, you can use the iPhone in Canada and not tether, you're just complacent and not willing to fight it and make a change.

 

It's okay though iPhone 5 and 6 will see the mass exodus away from AT&T when 3GS and 4 contracts go, and I'll be one of them.

 

Tethering is a RIPOFF and another way for them to nickel and dime you to death, but I suppose you're not competent enough to realize that.


Move to Canada.

Message 10 of 137

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

 


smalcom wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

And for those of you who cannot comprehend the meaning:

 

un·lim·it·ed

–adjective
1.
not limited;  unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
2.
boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
3.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional.


nice quote of dictionary, now d the same your your terms of service, they are not double billing you - tethering is a feature not a service.

 

As of march 27th you will not have unlimited data if you continue to tether you will be automaticly be downgraded to the tethering plan - all valid per the termos of your cellualr carrier contract.


 

No, the issue is you sit there and accept the garbage you're given.  Other countries don't charge for tethering, you can use the iPhone in Canada and not tether, you're just complacent and not willing to fight it and make a change.

 

It's okay though iPhone 5 and 6 will see the mass exodus away from AT&T when 3GS and 4 contracts go, and I'll be one of them.

 

Tethering is a RIPOFF and another way for them to nickel and dime you to death, but I suppose you're not competent enough to realize that.


Move to Canada.


 

Nice solution.  Try again.

 

I have unlimited data, I shouldn't have to move to a tiered data plan if I want to occasionally use my phone for tethering.

 

Here's a solution:

 

Make the same price point as AT&T has for the iPad 3G....make it on a per-use basis.

 

If I want to use tethering for a month due to me being in an area where I can't get a wifi signal for my Laptop/iPad, I can enable tethering for a monthly fee and have a data limit on it.  Say, $20 for the month to enable tethering for my phone with 2GB of data.  This will more than cover the data I will use for email/browsing for business purposes between work and my drop box account, and then when the month is up my tethering will go back to being disabled and I will still have unlimited data on my phone without having to move to a tiered data plan.

 

Easy solution, AT&T should look into it.

Message 11 of 137
Professor

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

That would probably work for folks like me, who would only use tethering very infrequently. I may go two or three months without the need for it, but I wouldn't mind paying for it only on the time when I do need to use it.
Message 12 of 137

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

 


IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

 

Nice solution.  Try again.

 

I have unlimited data, I shouldn't have to move to a tiered data plan if I want to occasionally use my phone for tethering.

 

Here's a solution:

 

Make the same price point as AT&T has for the iPad 3G....make it on a per-use basis.

 

If I want to use tethering for a month due to me being in an area where I can't get a wifi signal for my Laptop/iPad, I can enable tethering for a monthly fee and have a data limit on it.  Say, $20 for the month to enable tethering for my phone with 2GB of data.  This will more than cover the data I will use for email/browsing for business purposes between work and my drop box account, and then when the month is up my tethering will go back to being disabled and I will still have unlimited data on my phone without having to move to a tiered data plan.

 

Easy solution, AT&T should look into it.


Easy to describe and potentially even relatively easy to implement, but since it removes incentive for people to move off of the unlimited plans probably not one that AT&T is interested in implementing.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it to.  But it is hardly in AT&T's best interest to do something like this.

 

Message 13 of 137

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

 


SLIKRICK wrote:
That would probably work for folks like me, who would only use tethering very infrequently. I may go two or three months without the need for it, but I wouldn't mind paying for it only on the time when I do need to use it.

 

I just sent an email suggesting this.  There are people who will pay for tethering all the time, but I don't need it all the time, maybe what amounts to a month or two a year, so for infrequent users of tethering it wouldn't be difficult to implement a per-month fee for iPhone users who wanted to use the service for a month.

 

If they can do this for the iPad, why not the iPhone?  I would go for that in a heartbeat.  When my month is up and I go to the tethering function on my phone it would notify me that I would have to contact AT&T for permanent tethering services or log into my account to pay for a month's service.

 

I think this is a soultion that would make everyone happy and not drain your wallet for paying for a service you wouldn't use except once in awhile.

Message 14 of 137

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

 


archermoo wrote:

 


IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

 

Nice solution.  Try again.

 

I have unlimited data, I shouldn't have to move to a tiered data plan if I want to occasionally use my phone for tethering.

 

Here's a solution:

 

Make the same price point as AT&T has for the iPad 3G....make it on a per-use basis.

 

If I want to use tethering for a month due to me being in an area where I can't get a wifi signal for my Laptop/iPad, I can enable tethering for a monthly fee and have a data limit on it.  Say, $20 for the month to enable tethering for my phone with 2GB of data.  This will more than cover the data I will use for email/browsing for business purposes between work and my drop box account, and then when the month is up my tethering will go back to being disabled and I will still have unlimited data on my phone without having to move to a tiered data plan.

 

Easy solution, AT&T should look into it.


Easy to describe and potentially even relatively easy to implement, but since it removes incentive for people to move off of the unlimited plans probably not one that AT&T is interested in implementing.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it to.  But it is hardly in AT&T's best interest to do something like this.

 


 

It would be easy to implement:

 

1.  If you want permanent tethering and you're on unlimited you'll have to drop your unlimited data plan and go to one of the tiered plans.

 

2.  If you want occasional tethering you pay per month and are capped by what you pay for, $20 for 2GB, $30 for 4GB, etc...you'd still have your unlimited plan, you'd just be capped on tethering.

 

It's a ridiculously easy soultion to this entire thing, no one would gripe about it anymore...I certainly wouldn't.  Plus it would halt the jailbreakers who would probably jump on something like this.  It's win/win.

Message 15 of 137
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support