Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

This is double billing pure and simple. If you pay for a data plan and it is advertised as unlimited, this means you get to download as much as you want from your phone device. If your "unlimited" plan isn't unlimited, this is false advertising and a class action lawsuit should be thrown at the carrier already, but if I decide I want to tether the phone to a laptop or tablet, if you are still using the unlimited plan you are already paying for. A tethering subscription is double billing. This is ripe for a class action lawsuit. All it needs to start is people continuing to jailbreak or root their phones and tether and refusing to pay the fees and if enough people do this the media will swarm and some lawyer will jump all offer a class action for the other people who did pay the fees. It's about time we do something about it. Data is data, and we're already paying (dearly) for it. Why do we have to pay more for the same data if it comes from a tethered laptop or any other device? It is double billing and we need to organize ourselves and seriously protest this type of biased measures from telcos.

Does Comcast charge me for tethering my laptop to my wireless router?  No.  Does it charge me for how many machines are on my network? No.

We are the only country where the telcos stick it to us in every way, shape, or form.  I'm sick of it.  If I have an unlimited data plan then I have an unlimited data plan whether I choose to access it from my iPhone or a tethered device.  There is NO difference.  I hope someone sues and we get our freedom to use the device as we choose back, we are doing NOTHING wrong by tethering.  Also, if you're so concerned about people abusing the cap, then ENFORCE IT, but don't make people pay out the nose for an additional service that's no different than connecting to a wireless hot spot at Starbucks. 

Rip off artists to the end.

Message 1 of 137
Highlighted
rvc
Explorer

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

"If you don't understand the terms of your contract, then why did you sign it?"

I don't really care what the fine print in the contract says.

If you don't intend to provide unlimited data service, why do you say the words unlimited data when you sell the service... everyone on this forum knows the answer to that question.

Unlimited data IS available at UNTHROTTLED data rates, provided you pay for it. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 136 of 137
Expert

Re: Tethering = Double Billing, AT&T Ripoff

rvc wrote:

"If you don't understand the terms of your contract, then why did you sign it?"

I don't really care what the fine print in the contract says.

If you don't intend to provide unlimited data service, why do you say the words unlimited data when you sell the service... everyone on this forum knows the answer to that question.

Unlimited data IS available at UNTHROTTLED data rates, provided you pay for it. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

you realize you necro'd a post that was 7 months old and has nothing to do with unlimited data throttling right?

Love your comment  "I don't really care what the fine print in the contract says." becasue you better read and understand the fine print of any contrsct you you could possibly end up in a whole lot of hurt. The "fine print" of the agreement that you don;t care about spelled out exactly what could be done.

Message 137 of 137
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support