Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 26, 2009
2:05:19 PM
Terrible 3G coverage in Denver

AT&T tech support is clueless.  I ask that you call them and complain, however, don't expect to have any issues resolved.  All they do is check the coverage map in your area and see that there's SUPPOSED to be great 3G coverage then blow off anything else you have to say.

How is it that my phone can show me it has 5 bars of 3G service available then not allow incoming/outgoing calls or voicemails?  Telling me to switch it and use it in Edge network is NOT a solution!!  I pay a premium for 3G and I expect it to work.  I've had a new sim card cloned, and even had a complete phone replacement with the problem still occurring intermittently.

If you complain enough they'll "allegedly" open an investigation into the problem for you.  Apparently they send out an engineer/tech to check the towers in the area where you are experiencing problems.  I've been told twice now that they are doing this and that I'll be informed when the case is closed...have yet to hear anything from them?

The most frustrating thing about the whole problem is that no one at AT&T will own up to the fact that there IS a problem with 3G coverage in Denver.  They keep going back to the possibility that there's a problem with my device (iPhone) despite the fact that I've had both the sim card and the phone itself replaced!

I'm on call 5 days a week for 12 hours shifts for my job.  To not receive a phone call (or voicemail for that matter) when my phone is supposed to have service even ONCE would be unacceptable for me, it's happened over 15 times!!!

Please post your similar problems with 3G coverage in Denver and CALL TO COMPLAIN!  AT&T thinks they can charge a premium price for their product, lets hold them to the STANDARDS that are inline with their prices! 

AT&T tech support is clueless.  I ask that you call them and complain, however, don't expect to have any issues resolved.  All they do is check the coverage map in your area and see that there's SUPPOSED to be great 3G coverage then blow off anything else you have to say.

How is it that my phone can show me it has 5 bars of 3G service available then not allow incoming/outgoing calls or voicemails?  Telling me to switch it and use it in Edge network is NOT a solution!!  I pay a premium for 3G and I expect it to work.  I've had a new sim card cloned, and even had a complete phone replacement with the problem still occurring intermittently.

If you complain enough they'll "allegedly" open an investigation into the problem for you.  Apparently they send out an engineer/tech to check the towers in the area where you are experiencing problems.  I've been told twice now that they are doing this and that I'll be informed when the case is closed...have yet to hear anything from them?

The most frustrating thing about the whole problem is that no one at AT&T will own up to the fact that there IS a problem with 3G coverage in Denver.  They keep going back to the possibility that there's a problem with my device (iPhone) despite the fact that I've had both the sim card and the phone itself replaced!

I'm on call 5 days a week for 12 hours shifts for my job.  To not receive a phone call (or voicemail for that matter) when my phone is supposed to have service even ONCE would be unacceptable for me, it's happened over 15 times!!!

Please post your similar problems with 3G coverage in Denver and CALL TO COMPLAIN!  AT&T thinks they can charge a premium price for their product, lets hold them to the STANDARDS that are inline with their prices! 

Terrible 3G coverage in Denver

39 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(39)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 5:39:53 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Caretaker on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:52:08 PM

I have already purchased a Blackberry Storm and signed up with Verizon Wireless.  I will now follow up and file a complaint with the FCC about the way AT & T and Apple handled my initial complain.  I have been above board with them about permanently moving to Montana but could not get a straight answer about when they would actually cut me off.  Sending out text messages and email telling me that I am in violation of my contract is like waving a red flag in front of a bull.  I have now contacted the Utility Consumers' Action Network in San Diego and outlined my complaint that my wife and I were sold iPhones under false pretenses and will take whatever actions necessary to recoup our investment in our iPhones. 

When you Google Randall Stephenson the link to my unedited article, about my bitter experience with AT & T and Apple posted on the { Please keep it spam fee }  web site, will pop up in first place. 

Message Edited by Caretaker on 08-04-2009 01:52:08 PM

I have already purchased a Blackberry Storm and signed up with Verizon Wireless.  I will now follow up and file a complaint with the FCC about the way AT & T and Apple handled my initial complain.  I have been above board with them about permanently moving to Montana but could not get a straight answer about when they would actually cut me off.  Sending out text messages and email telling me that I am in violation of my contract is like waving a red flag in front of a bull.  I have now contacted the Utility Consumers' Action Network in San Diego and outlined my complaint that my wife and I were sold iPhones under false pretenses and will take whatever actions necessary to recoup our investment in our iPhones. 

When you Google Randall Stephenson the link to my unedited article, about my bitter experience with AT & T and Apple posted on the { Please keep it spam fee }  web site, will pop up in first place. 

Message Edited by Caretaker on 08-04-2009 01:52:08 PM

Re: Terrible 3G coverage in Denver/ No coverage in Montana

[ Edited ]
31 of 40 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 12:55:45 PM
(0)
Master

I honestly find it hard to believe that anyone has a career where a missed phone call can be "potentially career ending", but a cell phone is perhaps not the right technology for you.  Honestly, no cell phone carrier is going to provide any kind of guarantee of coverage at any given point in time or geographic location.  There are simply too many variable - lanscape in relation to the tower, building construction, precipitation and other forms of manmade electronic interference.  If your phone calls are that important to you, then I'd suggest you call AT&T and complain until they let you out of your contract without an ETF.  Then go to the carrier who does provide the best service in your area.  And don't count on any other carrier getting an iPhone for at least another year, if not longer.  I honestly believe that we'll have to wait until Verizon has the majority of their LTE network built out before we'll see a Verizon iPhone.

adamb303 wrote:

JPSwartz1 wrote:

back to the orginal purpose of this tread, i changed out my sim card today at an att store in littleton.  the tech confirmed they are upgrading the 3G network in the denver metro area, so outages and dropped calls are expected until the upgrade is complete.  no timetable given. 

i seriously hope that is the reason for the spotty coverage and it will be fixed and its not just an iphone problem.  fingers crossed......

Ya man it's definitely not just an iPhone problem.  I posted an update on page 2 of this thread about what I was told by an AT&T tech working the case opened from my complaints.  I'm sure it was easy to miss due to all the off topic nonsense being posted in this thread.
Fourth quarter 2009 was the scheduled date for upgrades in my specific area (Downtown).  I spend a lot of time at DIA and I've noticed the same issues out there as I've been experiencing in my home.  Not receiving calls even though I'm showing full service and a severely delayed delivery of voicemails.
I think this is a bigger issue than AT&T realizes.  I believe most of their customers don't rely on the service being supplied as reliably as I do.  For most customers the occasional missed call (by missed I mean never delivered to the phone) or delayed voicemail isn't potentially career ending, for me though it is.
If Apple EVER decides to partner with another carrier I will most definitely be one of the first people in line to switch.  AT&T is holding the iPhone back and marring Apple's image in the process.  

I honestly find it hard to believe that anyone has a career where a missed phone call can be "potentially career ending", but a cell phone is perhaps not the right technology for you.  Honestly, no cell phone carrier is going to provide any kind of guarantee of coverage at any given point in time or geographic location.  There are simply too many variable - lanscape in relation to the tower, building construction, precipitation and other forms of manmade electronic interference.  If your phone calls are that important to you, then I'd suggest you call AT&T and complain until they let you out of your contract without an ETF.  Then go to the carrier who does provide the best service in your area.  And don't count on any other carrier getting an iPhone for at least another year, if not longer.  I honestly believe that we'll have to wait until Verizon has the majority of their LTE network built out before we'll see a Verizon iPhone.

adamb303 wrote:

JPSwartz1 wrote:

back to the orginal purpose of this tread, i changed out my sim card today at an att store in littleton.  the tech confirmed they are upgrading the 3G network in the denver metro area, so outages and dropped calls are expected until the upgrade is complete.  no timetable given. 

i seriously hope that is the reason for the spotty coverage and it will be fixed and its not just an iphone problem.  fingers crossed......

Ya man it's definitely not just an iPhone problem.  I posted an update on page 2 of this thread about what I was told by an AT&T tech working the case opened from my complaints.  I'm sure it was easy to miss due to all the off topic nonsense being posted in this thread.
Fourth quarter 2009 was the scheduled date for upgrades in my specific area (Downtown).  I spend a lot of time at DIA and I've noticed the same issues out there as I've been experiencing in my home.  Not receiving calls even though I'm showing full service and a severely delayed delivery of voicemails.
I think this is a bigger issue than AT&T realizes.  I believe most of their customers don't rely on the service being supplied as reliably as I do.  For most customers the occasional missed call (by missed I mean never delivered to the phone) or delayed voicemail isn't potentially career ending, for me though it is.
If Apple EVER decides to partner with another carrier I will most definitely be one of the first people in line to switch.  AT&T is holding the iPhone back and marring Apple's image in the process.  

Re: Terrible 3G coverage in Denver

32 of 40 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 12:57:13 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Glomag on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:52:53 PM

How is this honestly relevant to the topic at hand?

BobtheGasGuy wrote:

When you Google Randall Stephenson the link to my unedited article, about my bitter experience with AT & T and Apple posted on the {please keep it spam free} web site, will pop up in first place. 

Message Edited by Glomag on 08-04-2009 04:52:53 PM

How is this honestly relevant to the topic at hand?

BobtheGasGuy wrote:

When you Google Randall Stephenson the link to my unedited article, about my bitter experience with AT & T and Apple posted on the {please keep it spam free} web site, will pop up in first place. 

Message Edited by Glomag on 08-04-2009 04:52:53 PM

[ Edited ]
33 of 40 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 1:36:32 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by scoobydoo on Aug 4, 2009 at 5:08:57 PM

BrianfromNO wrote:

{Please be courteous} The orginal op was stating that coverage in Denver is well below par right now.  I also work near downtown and totally agree.  Dropping 3-5 calls an hour is terrible and we shouldnt put up with it.  If you rely on your phone for buisness, and you are dropping that many calls, then it will have an impact on your career.  

I believe all he was looking for, as well as I, is for AT&T to admit they have a problem in the Denver area (which they finally did to both him and me) and not say that it is an iphone issue.  Even a fellow co-worker that has a basic phone is having trouble.  Sounds like AT&T is working on it, and it should be corrected in the near future.  So until you come to Denver and experience the problem, don't comment on it unless you have a good solution besides "paying" to get out of a contract and going to another carrier.  

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 08-04-2009 08:08:57 PM

BrianfromNO wrote:

{Please be courteous} The orginal op was stating that coverage in Denver is well below par right now.  I also work near downtown and totally agree.  Dropping 3-5 calls an hour is terrible and we shouldnt put up with it.  If you rely on your phone for buisness, and you are dropping that many calls, then it will have an impact on your career.  

I believe all he was looking for, as well as I, is for AT&T to admit they have a problem in the Denver area (which they finally did to both him and me) and not say that it is an iphone issue.  Even a fellow co-worker that has a basic phone is having trouble.  Sounds like AT&T is working on it, and it should be corrected in the near future.  So until you come to Denver and experience the problem, don't comment on it unless you have a good solution besides "paying" to get out of a contract and going to another carrier.  

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 08-04-2009 08:08:57 PM

[ Edited ]
34 of 40 (235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 4:45:53 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by scoobydoo on Aug 4, 2009 at 5:10:23 PM

Anytime a network upgrade happens, coverage goes awry.  If your business is such that it requires you to be linked to a phone, you have two options - 1) find a carrier with better coverage, or 2) get a land line.  If you complain about the coverage, AT&T will likely let you out of your contract without an ETF.  I've been through multiple upgrades - from TDMA to GSM to UMTS.  I remember when the phones still had analog (AMPS) radios in them.  {Please be courteous}  Cell phones were never meant to provide the level of service of wired phones, simply because they can't.  It's not possible for wireless carriers to match the service of landline phone providers.  If the occasional missed call is "potentially career ending", then the other poster needs to look into alternatives to AT&T (and probably most other cell phone providers).

JPSwartz1 wrote:

{Please be courteous}  The orginal op was stating that coverage in Denver is well below par right now.  I also work near downtown and totally agree.  Dropping 3-5 calls an hour is terrible and we shouldnt put up with it.  If you rely on your phone for buisness, and you are dropping that many calls, then it will have an impact on your career.  

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 08-04-2009 08:10:23 PM

Anytime a network upgrade happens, coverage goes awry.  If your business is such that it requires you to be linked to a phone, you have two options - 1) find a carrier with better coverage, or 2) get a land line.  If you complain about the coverage, AT&T will likely let you out of your contract without an ETF.  I've been through multiple upgrades - from TDMA to GSM to UMTS.  I remember when the phones still had analog (AMPS) radios in them.  {Please be courteous}  Cell phones were never meant to provide the level of service of wired phones, simply because they can't.  It's not possible for wireless carriers to match the service of landline phone providers.  If the occasional missed call is "potentially career ending", then the other poster needs to look into alternatives to AT&T (and probably most other cell phone providers).

JPSwartz1 wrote:

{Please be courteous}  The orginal op was stating that coverage in Denver is well below par right now.  I also work near downtown and totally agree.  Dropping 3-5 calls an hour is terrible and we shouldnt put up with it.  If you rely on your phone for buisness, and you are dropping that many calls, then it will have an impact on your career.  

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 08-04-2009 08:10:23 PM

[ Edited ]
35 of 40 (218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 8:54:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

BrianfromNO wrote:

I honestly couldn't care less what you believe or don't believe.  I have a 10 minute window to call my employer back if I miss a call during a duty period (12 hour shift).  I can be fired for not calling back in that time frame.  I've already missed this call back window once because of AT&T.  The phone showed full service, the call was never received on the phone and the voicemail appeared approx. 30 minutes after it was actually left.
Yes I do now have a landline (ooma VOIP) due to the gross unreliability of AT&T's service.  It'd be one thing if the phone would show that service is unavailable when this problem is occurring, but it doesn't!  I have no way of knowing service is unavailable!  That's the point no one ESPECIALLY AT&T seems to realize!  I've also begun to notice that I experience this problem at other locations around Denver (not just limited to the downtown area).
I love the iPhone and just recently have started hating AT&T.  Remember, I've lived in two states with this phone without EVER experiencing this problem.  I also travel extensively for my job and never experience this problem anywhere else I go... Complaining until they let me break my contract is not a solution!!  I love my phone and can't imagine sitting around a landline 5 days a week for 12 hour shifts!!
THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH SERVICE IN DENVER, THEY'VE ADMITTED IT.  NOW JUST FIX IT.  I really don't want to get rid of this phone.  However, AT&T's days are numbered in my book.  I will not indefinitely dump money into their shoddy, unreliable, unprofessional, service. 

BrianfromNO wrote:

I honestly couldn't care less what you believe or don't believe.  I have a 10 minute window to call my employer back if I miss a call during a duty period (12 hour shift).  I can be fired for not calling back in that time frame.  I've already missed this call back window once because of AT&T.  The phone showed full service, the call was never received on the phone and the voicemail appeared approx. 30 minutes after it was actually left.
Yes I do now have a landline (ooma VOIP) due to the gross unreliability of AT&T's service.  It'd be one thing if the phone would show that service is unavailable when this problem is occurring, but it doesn't!  I have no way of knowing service is unavailable!  That's the point no one ESPECIALLY AT&T seems to realize!  I've also begun to notice that I experience this problem at other locations around Denver (not just limited to the downtown area).
I love the iPhone and just recently have started hating AT&T.  Remember, I've lived in two states with this phone without EVER experiencing this problem.  I also travel extensively for my job and never experience this problem anywhere else I go... Complaining until they let me break my contract is not a solution!!  I love my phone and can't imagine sitting around a landline 5 days a week for 12 hour shifts!!
THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH SERVICE IN DENVER, THEY'VE ADMITTED IT.  NOW JUST FIX IT.  I really don't want to get rid of this phone.  However, AT&T's days are numbered in my book.  I will not indefinitely dump money into their shoddy, unreliable, unprofessional, service. 

36 of 40 (202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 10:04:20 PM
(0)
Professor

Well, AT&T/Apple 'will' have service there, however, they have to wait for the FCC to finish up on the Verizon Wireless / Alltel divestiture for it to happen.

http://www.cellularmap.net/alltel_divest.shtml

Well, AT&T/Apple 'will' have service there, however, they have to wait for the FCC to finish up on the Verizon Wireless / Alltel divestiture for it to happen.

http://www.cellularmap.net/alltel_divest.shtml

37 of 40 (197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2009 8:40:39 AM
(0)
Master

As I've stated, a cell phone is perhaps not the right technology for you.  Does your work not hand out pagers?  If telephony is so important to you, a) either buy a phone from another carrier, or b) get a landline and stay home during your 12-hour shifts.  All the major carriers are going to be experiencing some disruptions over the next few years, as they're all upgrading to next-gen technology (LTE for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and WiMax for Sprint).  I wouldn't even consider a VoIP line to be as reliable as you need, considering a blink on your data line can take your phone line down.  In terms of reliability, nothing beats a good-old fashioned landline from one of the former Baby Bells.

adamb303 wrote:

As I've stated, a cell phone is perhaps not the right technology for you.  Does your work not hand out pagers?  If telephony is so important to you, a) either buy a phone from another carrier, or b) get a landline and stay home during your 12-hour shifts.  All the major carriers are going to be experiencing some disruptions over the next few years, as they're all upgrading to next-gen technology (LTE for Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and WiMax for Sprint).  I wouldn't even consider a VoIP line to be as reliable as you need, considering a blink on your data line can take your phone line down.  In terms of reliability, nothing beats a good-old fashioned landline from one of the former Baby Bells.

adamb303 wrote:

38 of 40 (190 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2009 10:01:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

BrianfromNO wrote:

1. No they don't hand out pagers.

2. Buying a phone from another carrier is not a solution, I own an iPhone and love the device.

3. Using my landline as the only means of communication with my employer is not a solution.  I do have other responsibilities and obligations in my life that won't allow me to sit next to a phone all day.

4. Pay attention because this next part is really important.

THIS IS A LOCALIZED NETWORK ISSUE AFFECTING THE DENVER AREA.  I've already stated this countless times before but I'm going to continue repeating it until it really sinks in for you people.

THE PROBLEM ONLY OCCURS IN DENVER.  Apart from having lived in multiple states with my iPhone I also travel extensively for work.  I never, let me repeat that, I NEVER experience this problem outside of Denver. 

If AT&T can figure out how to provide reliable service in other areas of the country why can't they do it here?  Denver is a major metropolitan area.  Over half a million residents, 3 major sports teams, and the third largest international airport in the world.  You'd think AT&T would be a bit more careful about making an embarrassing presence here.  "More Bars In More Places."  More bars sure, but unfortunately when it comes to AT&T that has nothing to do with the quality of service you're going to receive.

BrianfromNO wrote:

1. No they don't hand out pagers.

2. Buying a phone from another carrier is not a solution, I own an iPhone and love the device.

3. Using my landline as the only means of communication with my employer is not a solution.  I do have other responsibilities and obligations in my life that won't allow me to sit next to a phone all day.

4. Pay attention because this next part is really important.

THIS IS A LOCALIZED NETWORK ISSUE AFFECTING THE DENVER AREA.  I've already stated this countless times before but I'm going to continue repeating it until it really sinks in for you people.

THE PROBLEM ONLY OCCURS IN DENVER.  Apart from having lived in multiple states with my iPhone I also travel extensively for work.  I never, let me repeat that, I NEVER experience this problem outside of Denver. 

If AT&T can figure out how to provide reliable service in other areas of the country why can't they do it here?  Denver is a major metropolitan area.  Over half a million residents, 3 major sports teams, and the third largest international airport in the world.  You'd think AT&T would be a bit more careful about making an embarrassing presence here.  "More Bars In More Places."  More bars sure, but unfortunately when it comes to AT&T that has nothing to do with the quality of service you're going to receive.

39 of 40 (180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2009 10:19:23 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Thank you for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed.  Should the OP need additional assistance, please feel free to open up a new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Thank you for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed.  Should the OP need additional assistance, please feel free to open up a new thread.

40 of 40 (173 Views)