Terrible 3G coverage in Denver

Professor

Re: Terrible 3G coverage in Denver/ No coverage in Montana

For AT&T to have 'native' service in Montana, you'll have to wait for AT&T to finish purchasing of former Alltel Wireless divested markets from Verizon Wireless.

850MHz carriers (VZW/Alltel) are the carriers that built out rural areas due to FCC requirements.

More than AT&T having 'exclusive' use of Apple's iPhone, Apple has no CDMA (VZW/Sprint/Alltel) chipsets in ANY iPhone.

T-Mobile is the only other carrier that 'could' have an iPhone, but its 3G is on AWS spectrum (1700/2100).

Message 16 of 40 (494 Views)
Professor

Re: Terrible 3G coverage in Denver

You were not in Los Angeles for the first year of 3G deployment.  It had similar issues.
Message 17 of 40 (493 Views)
Professor

Can you pull up the 'field test' menus of the iPhone in downtown Denver and outside of downtown Denver ?

If it was overlayed on 3g 850 like L.A. was, then the most densely populated areas were covered LAST.

Eg.  Santa Clarita CA had 3g 850/1900 (issue fixed) then San Fernando Valley (LA suburb) then LA basin, then downtown LA/Hollywood/West LA areas.

Rural areas had dual issues - capacity + coverage from day 1

City areas had capacity issues as service  grew.(which didn't take long).

If you can run field test and post ARFCN, it may show whether you're using 3g 850 or 1900 (or go between both)

Message 18 of 40 (493 Views)
Professor

I suspect that the hardware is 3G 850 channels being deployed where its currently a single 1900MHz channel
Message 19 of 40 (492 Views)
Teacher

Below is the link to the Bloomberg article edited from my previous response.  It is entitled "IPhone Probe to Focus on Markets Without Service, FCC Head Says" by reported Todd Shields".

Bob the Gas Guy van der Valk

Message 20 of 40 (505 Views)
Master

Make that two reason I'm glad NOT to live in Montana (in bold & italics below).  This is a ridiculous argument...no cellular carrier provides coverage over every square inch of the United States.  Chairman Genachowski can bloviate all he wants, but that isn't going to make towers suddenly appear out of thin air. 

And the term is de riguer, not "the rigor".

BobtheGasGuy wrote:

Denver is lucky to even have service available for iPhones.  I moved to Montana  from Washington  in May 2009 and AT & T has now notified me that they will be cancelling my service as I am in violation of my contract with them.  I use my iPhone for business and travel to other parts of the country but apparently Montana in one of the states not servicing iPhone data and the cost for access other carriers exceeds what I pay on the flat rate rate program.  Their cell service in Terry, Montana is about the same as Verizon Wireless.  Dropped calls, not receiving calls and voice mail messages not received at tall are the rigor wih my iPhone.  I had great service in Seattle, Washington where I purchased the phone in September 2009.  An email resulted in two calls back from a representative in the Office of the President of AT & T.  But all I got was sympathy and lots of apologies and no solution.  The first customer service representative offered ot switch my account to Verizon for me and suggested buying a Blackberry phone.  I have just done so without her help and am waving AT & T goodbye.  The following article from Bloomberg tells the story on how exclusive arrangements like the one between AT & T and Apple is good for them but not good for the consumers.

(Edit - Due to copyright infringement issues, only links to articles are allowed to posted on the forums.)

Last Updated: July 31, 2009 00:00 EDT"

Last Thurdsday I checked with the Best Buy store in Billings on iPhone availability. The clerk was proud to tell me that he has a family member in town who obtained by using his cousins Denver home address to sign up with AT & T.  So it's legal to own and wear a gun on your hip in Montana but AT & T forbids you to use them for your iPhone.  Hello Blackberry Storm goodbye Apple iPhone.

Bob "the Gas Guy" van der Valk -  Google my blog to find out more about my AT & T service complaint. 

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 08-01-2009 09:53:14 AM

Message 21 of 40 (497 Views)
Teacher

BrianfromNO - You are continuing your personal attacks on me that you started on my original OP using the same abusive language.  Moderator I would like to report BrianfromNO for not conducting himself according to rules of this forum.  I will not respond to BrianfromNO argument as it stands since is preposterous.  Bobthegasguy van der Valk from beautiful uncrowded Terry, Montana.
Message 22 of 40 (491 Views)
Former Moderator

[ Edited ]

Everyone, let's please keep in mind the forum's usage guidelines when posting, particularly the keep it courteous guideline.

- Keep it courteous -

Everyone wants to have a positive experience while on the Forums - please make sure that you are not detracting from any other user's experience.  Your opinions are always welcome, but personal attacks and harassment in the Forum, including through the Forums private messaging system, are not acceptable. 

Thank you

Message Edited by Caretaker on 08-03-2009 06:19:45 AM

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 23 of 40 (482 Views)
Teacher

Thank you Mr. Caretaker
Message 24 of 40 (479 Views)
Expert

BobtheGasGuy wrote:
Thank you Mr. Caretaker

I am just going to say a few things.  The FCC has originally put the available spectrum up for auction and bidders put their price on certain blocks of spectrum and the highest bidders won.  At&t was not a lucky winner in your new area.  Now the winners provided service in the area that you moved to and at&t does not directly but they allowed you to roam there if you are in that area for a limited period.  When you roam, at&t has to pay roaming costs (on both voice and data) and if you are there for a permanent area then you are in an area that is not legally allowed to sell service unless it has worked out a deal with one of the local providers.  As to your Best Buy example, the person who got the iphone should be ready for a shock when he/she gets the cancellation of service notice too.  What they did was gave you a way out without having to pay the ETF.  Now if you really want to use the iPhone and want to use it in your area, call the FCC and complain to them as to why at&t has no service in your new area and ask them to do something so at&t can own and provide service in your area.  Before knocking one needs to know the governmental laws and rules when it comes to providing services and at&t is abiding by those rules and regulations.  Lets say you now move over to Verizon and get the storm and 1.5 years later you move to an area that Verizon has no native service there and you get the same notice, I will say you can not blame Verizon and you need to accept the fact that every provider has areas of no service and that is not because they did not want to but because of legal limitations. Your arguments need to be directed to the government and to ask them to re-auction the spectrum and insure that at&t get some air spectrum in your new home area.
Message 25 of 40 (473 Views)
Master

And notice Caretaker didn't change anything about my post, since it didn't violate the guidelines of the forum.  Again, well said, Sheik.  People wade into the waters with "Why don't I have coverage at such & such a place?", not understanding how complex and heavily regulated the wireless industry is.  It's not the Wild West, people.  AT&T can't just throw up towers in some place where they do not natively have coverage, and the FCC is unlikely to force the carriers to offer service where it's unprofitable for them to do so because the only coverage is through partner agreements.  I looked at the coverage maps of the 4 main carriers, and it appears only Verizon has native coverage where Bob lives.

Sheik HF1 wrote:

BobtheGasGuy wrote:
Thank you Mr. Caretaker

I am just going to say a few things.  The FCC has originally put the available spectrum up for auction and bidders put their price on certain blocks of spectrum and the highest bidders won.  At&t was not a lucky winner in your new area.  Now the winners provided service in the area that you moved to and at&t does not directly but they allowed you to roam there if you are in that area for a limited period.  When you roam, at&t has to pay roaming costs (on both voice and data) and if you are there for a permanent area then you are in an area that is not legally allowed to sell service unless it has worked out a deal with one of the local providers.  As to your Best Buy example, the person who got the iphone should be ready for a shock when he/she gets the cancellation of service notice too.  What they did was gave you a way out without having to pay the ETF.  Now if you really want to use the iPhone and want to use it in your area, call the FCC and complain to them as to why at&t has no service in your new area and ask them to do something so at&t can own and provide service in your area.  Before knocking one needs to know the governmental laws and rules when it comes to providing services and at&t is abiding by those rules and regulations.  Lets say you now move over to Verizon and get the storm and 1.5 years later you move to an area that Verizon has no native service there and you get the same notice, I will say you can not blame Verizon and you need to accept the fact that every provider has areas of no service and that is not because they did not want to but because of legal limitations. Your arguments need to be directed to the government and to ask them to re-auction the spectrum and insure that at&t get some air spectrum in your new home area.

Message 26 of 40 (469 Views)
Tutor

back to the orginal purpose of this tread, i changed out my sim card today at an att store in littleton.  the tech confirmed they are upgrading the 3G network in the denver metro area, so outages and dropped calls are expected until the upgrade is complete.  no timetable given. 

i seriously hope that is the reason for the spotty coverage and it will be fixed and its not just an iphone problem.  fingers crossed......

Message 27 of 40 (476 Views)
Master

This happens every time AT&T upgrades.  From TDMA to GSM and UMTS, every network upgrade was at least a little bit painful.  I fully expect LTE to be a clownshow.

JPSwartz1 wrote:

back to the orginal purpose of this tread, i changed out my sim card today at an att store in littleton.  the tech confirmed they are upgrading the 3G network in the denver metro area, so outages and dropped calls are expected until the upgrade is complete.  no timetable given. 

i seriously hope that is the reason for the spotty coverage and it will be fixed and its not just an iphone problem.  fingers crossed......

Message 28 of 40 (468 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

JPSwartz1 wrote:

Ya man it's definitely not just an iPhone problem.  I posted an update on page 2 of this thread about what I was told by an AT&T tech working the case opened from my complaints.  I'm sure it was easy to miss due to all the off topic nonsense being posted in this thread.
Fourth quarter 2009 was the scheduled date for upgrades in my specific area (Downtown).  I spend a lot of time at DIA and I've noticed the same issues out there as I've been experiencing in my home.  Not receiving calls even though I'm showing full service and a severely delayed delivery of voicemails.
I think this is a bigger issue than AT&T realizes.  I believe most of their customers don't rely on the service being supplied as reliably as I do.  For most customers the occasional missed call (by missed I mean never delivered to the phone) or delayed voicemail isn't potentially career ending, for me though it is.
If Apple EVER decides to partner with another carrier I will most definitely be one of the first people in line to switch.  AT&T is holding the iPhone back and marring Apple's image in the process.  

Message 29 of 40 (465 Views)
Professor

I actually expect less issues with LTE, as channel sizes can be 1.25MHz vs 5MHz and it can/will be deployed in the AWS band (clean spectrum)
Message 30 of 40 (454 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.