Helpful Links

Temporarily turning off one of two phones an a plan.

Tutor

Temporarily turning off one of two phones an a plan.

I have two phones on my plan; one is used by a hypercommunicative offspring.  Rather than argue about air-time usage, I'd like to simply turn the offspring's phone off for a day or two to more surely convey my seriousness about phone bills.

Anyone know how to do this from my ATT account page?

Message 1 of 10

Re: Temporarily turning off one of two phones an a plan.

You would have to call Customer Service and request a servive suspension.

As tho the phone had been lost and you didn't want anyone to use up your minutes.

Then after the period of time you think necessary, call and say you had found the phone and have the suspension removed.

Not possible from the OLAM.

I wouldn't do this more than a couple of times, or it might lead to new activation fees.

Message 2 of 10
Scholar

Is the offspring near you?  Can you pull their sim card?

Message 3 of 10
Tutor

I talked to a lady at ATT who said that you can do this from the Web page.

Message 4 of 10
Tutor

I'm looking for a solution to the problem of kids who cannot seem to control their usage, or who have not been shown the ramifications of their actions.  I don't want to talk to kids, reason with them, listen to why they have to have theri phone to e-mail their homework, etc.

I want to be able to check my usage on-line, and easily click a box that suspends the selected telephone service - and just as easily restore the service when the cause-effect cycle has been noted and understood by the kids.

I fear that you cannot do this because it shuts off huge revenue opportunities for ATT.  I've long believed that cell phone service would cost $500 per month if we were not subsidized by teenage girls.

Message 5 of 10
Professor

rpu28 wrote:

I have two phones on my plan; one is used by a hypercommunicative offspring.  Rather than argue about air-time usage, I'd like to simply turn the offspring's phone off for a day or two to more surely convey my seriousness about phone bills.

Anyone know how to do this from my ATT account page?

You still pay for the days that the line is suspended. When logged on to OLAM, click on "View all users". Under "Phone/Device Support" on the right, you will see "Suspend/Reactivate Service".

Message 6 of 10
Scholar

Why not sign up for the parental controls features.  I haven't used it ,but from what I hear you can select what times they can make calls and send text messages.  If you give them a 1 minute window that pretty much makes it so they phone is inactive for them.  [However, I think they can still get calls and get text messages.]

I'm sure someone here knows way more about this than me.

Message 7 of 10
Tutor

Thanks, sitnsidewayz, I think that's what I need.

Message 8 of 10
Tutor

Well, as long as I'm getting free answers without doing any work, can someone tell me how to access the parental controls?

Message 9 of 10
Scholar

It requires an additional fee to use them, you would have to contact customer care I'm thinking.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support