Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 20, 2011
1:23:37 AM
View profile
Technical information for new SIM or phones 5/20/2011.
Edited by J-M-Thomas on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:24:44 AM

We've seen two different messages form ATT...

The first saying that text messaging will stop 30 May 2011 unless you get a new SIM.

The second says that the phone will stop working entirely after 5/20/2011.

People are saying, you new to get a "3g SIM" or get a "3G phone".

Can we get more technical, please?

Are some GSM frequencies being reallocated (for LTE)?  E.G. GSM850 dropped to leave only 850 UMTS/HSRA?  Will there be any remaining 2G frequencies, i.e. 850 GSM/GPRS/EDGE or 1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE?

Is a specific protocal being removed, for example EDGE?  Or a SMS gateway being disconnect from an old protocol/frequency?  This would explain why only SMS is being affected.

What exactly, is a "3G SIM"?  SIMs are basically soft (updateable).  Are there people who have SIMs  that just need to updated, as opposed to people who need a new SIM with more memory (before they can be updated)?

And what's SIM color all about?  Blue seemed to be the old ATT (pre Cingular), however mine (I'm old ATT) is white.  Orange seems to be for iPhones; is it also used for other devices (like all smart phones, but not dumb phones)?  One ATT person say the orange SIM is same as the white SIM but just a different color.  So what does color really mean?

Finally, can AT really tell what model phone I have because they query the phone?  Or do they depend on the accounting database, which won't have correct information for people who moved a SIM into a newer model phone?

Please DO NOT MENTION rate plans.  They are a totally separate subject.  First one gets the device "on the air" with correct capabilities and a correctly programmed SIM, and can dial 911.  That's all I'm asking about.  Activation and the rate plans are another subject which I do not wish to discuss here (unless someone is going to say that the ATT billing system won't work with certain frequency/SIM/plan combinations).

Thanks!

We've seen two different messages form ATT...

The first saying that text messaging will stop 30 May 2011 unless you get a new SIM.

People are saying, you new to get a "3g SIM" or get a "3G phone".

Can we get more technical, please?

Are some GSM frequencies being reallocated (for LTE)?  E.G. GSM850 dropped to leave only 850 UMTS/HSRA?  Will there be any remaining 2G frequencies, i.e. 850 GSM/GPRS/EDGE or 1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE?

Is a specific protocal being removed, for example EDGE?  Or a SMS gateway being disconnect from an old protocol/frequency?  This would explain why only SMS is being affected.

What exactly, is a "3G SIM"?  SIMs are basically soft (updateable).  Are there people who have SIMs  that just need to updated, as opposed to people who need a new SIM with more memory (before they can be updated)?

And what's SIM color all about?  Blue seemed to be the old ATT (pre Cingular), however mine (I'm old ATT) is white.  Orange seems to be for iPhones; is it also used for other devices (like all smart phones, but not dumb phones)?  One ATT person say the orange SIM is same as the white SIM but just a different color.  So what does color really mean?

Finally, can AT really tell what model phone I have because they query the phone?  Or do they depend on the accounting database, which won't have correct information for people who moved a SIM into a newer model phone?

Please DO NOT MENTION rate plans.  They are a totally separate subject.  First one gets the device "on the air" with correct capabilities and a correctly programmed SIM, and can dial 911.  That's all I'm asking about.  Activation and the rate plans are another subject which I do not wish to discuss here (unless someone is going to say that the ATT billing system won't work with certain frequency/SIM/plan combinations).

Thanks!

Technical information for new SIM or phones 5/20/2011.

[ Edited ]
1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2011 1:10:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

Corrections (as editing seems disabled)

The first says that text messaging will stop 30 April 2011 unless you get a new SIM.

Corrections (as editing seems disabled)

The first says that text messaging will stop 30 April 2011 unless you get a new SIM.

Re: Technical information for new SIM or phones 5/20/2011.

2 of 2 (161 Views)