Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Feb 14, 2009
12:58:03 PM
View profile
TUNDRA - Laundry List of Gripes
Edited by mod.moose on Feb 14, 2009 at 1:35:48 PM

To start, I DO like the phone.  But there are some issues that need to be resolved.  Shall I begin?

1)  AT&T Default Contacts - According to the other 2 posts below, you can get around this by adding them to their own group.  Yes, you can.  However, they don't remove themselves from the phonebook unless you put every OTHER number in it's own group.  For instance, change every one of the OTHER numbers to a group called "non-AT&T contacts", and then filter the view by that group name.  Then you won't see the AT&T numbers.  However, it won't stay like that.  Every time you go to Contacts, you have to filter the view again.  Useless.  Don't waste your time like I did.  What they're doing to us is wrong.  I WILL find a way to fix that!

2)  They gave us 2 soft keys.  Great!  Now how do you reprogram them?!?!?!  There's nothing in the manual about that.  Why have the righthand softkey be Main Menu when the middle button accomplishes the same dang thing?!?!?!

3)  Hard keys - We have an AT&T internet key on the left and a cingular video key on the right.  Maybe 2% of phone users will actually USE those keys.  Why not make one for Phone Book and one for Messages?  Ya know........something 100% of phone users would need.

4)  Up/Down Side Buttons - OK, maybe a just used my RAZR for too long, but why wouldn't they make the Tundra side keys actually raise and lower the ringer volume when the phone is open?  When the phone is closed, the up/down keys select the ringer type - OK kewl.  But why do they do the same thing when the phone is open?  Now I have to go into Sound Profiles and 3 submenus just to change the volume of my ringer.  Wonderful.  I'll have to make 2 new custom ringer profiles - one for Soft Ring and one for Loud Ring.  Nice job.

5)  We should be allowed to disable the PTT key on the side.  No one uses that either.  Anyone that needs PTT buys a Nextel.  Yes, I have the service disabled on the phone, but when my finger slips ALL THE TIME, I get prompted to enable the PTT service again.  Just let me disable the key!

That's my $0.02 for now.

{Please do not go around the word filter.} 

Message Edited by mod.moose on 02-14-2009 01:35:48 PM

To start, I DO like the phone.  But there are some issues that need to be resolved.  Shall I begin?

1)  AT&T Default Contacts - According to the other 2 posts below, you can get around this by adding them to their own group.  Yes, you can.  However, they don't remove themselves from the phonebook unless you put every OTHER number in it's own group.  For instance, change every one of the OTHER numbers to a group called "non-AT&T contacts", and then filter the view by that group name.  Then you won't see the AT&T numbers.  However, it won't stay like that.  Every time you go to Contacts, you have to filter the view again.  Useless.  Don't waste your time like I did.  What they're doing to us is wrong.  I WILL find a way to fix that!

2)  They gave us 2 soft keys.  Great!  Now how do you reprogram them?!?!?!  There's nothing in the manual about that.  Why have the righthand softkey be Main Menu when the middle button accomplishes the same dang thing?!?!?!

3)  Hard keys - We have an AT&T internet key on the left and a cingular video key on the right.  Maybe 2% of phone users will actually USE those keys.  Why not make one for Phone Book and one for Messages?  Ya know........something 100% of phone users would need.

4)  Up/Down Side Buttons - OK, maybe a just used my RAZR for too long, but why wouldn't they make the Tundra side keys actually raise and lower the ringer volume when the phone is open?  When the phone is closed, the up/down keys select the ringer type - OK kewl.  But why do they do the same thing when the phone is open?  Now I have to go into Sound Profiles and 3 submenus just to change the volume of my ringer.  Wonderful.  I'll have to make 2 new custom ringer profiles - one for Soft Ring and one for Loud Ring.  Nice job.

5)  We should be allowed to disable the PTT key on the side.  No one uses that either.  Anyone that needs PTT buys a Nextel.  Yes, I have the service disabled on the phone, but when my finger slips ALL THE TIME, I get prompted to enable the PTT service again.  Just let me disable the key!

That's my $0.02 for now.

{Please do not go around the word filter.} 

Message Edited by mod.moose on 02-14-2009 01:35:48 PM

TUNDRA - Laundry List of Gripes

[ Edited ]
18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2009 2:41:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
I forgot to add in my last post......  Is anyone else besides me having problems connecting the Tundra to MPT?  My other phones have worked fine, but the Tundra just won't play nice.
I forgot to add in my last post......  Is anyone else besides me having problems connecting the Tundra to MPT?  My other phones have worked fine, but the Tundra just won't play nice.

TUNDRA - Motorola Phone Tools

2 of 19 (12,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2009 5:25:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Z71mike wrote:

I agree. So far, I really like the Tundra.

Agreed!

Agreed! i can't believe they did that.

Another good point!

Exactly!

I do use the PTT service and key. However, I agree that the key should be programable for non-PTT users.

Another complaint, I have is the loud whooshing sound that comes with the 3G logo when the phone is powered on or off. I can't figure out how to disable that annoying sound. There should be a way to stop it.

Z71mike wrote:

I agree. So far, I really like the Tundra.

Agreed!

Agreed! i can't believe they did that.

Another good point!

Exactly!

I do use the PTT service and key. However, I agree that the key should be programable for non-PTT users.

Another complaint, I have is the loud whooshing sound that comes with the 3G logo when the phone is powered on or off. I can't figure out how to disable that annoying sound. There should be a way to stop it.

Re: TUNDRA - Laundry List of Gripes

3 of 19 (12,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2009 8:12:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Don't forget the battery meter don't work on the phones, shows a full charge right up till it dies, only way to show correct level is to plug it into a charger.

Annoying !!!

Don't forget the battery meter don't work on the phones, shows a full charge right up till it dies, only way to show correct level is to plug it into a charger.

Annoying !!!

4 of 19 (12,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2009 2:10:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
I guess no one else is having issues with Motorola Phone Tools and the Tundra.  I seem to be the only one on the entire internet with an issue.  I thought I was the problem, until I tried it on a competely different PC and it still didn't work.  Guess I'm alone with this.
I guess no one else is having issues with Motorola Phone Tools and the Tundra.  I seem to be the only one on the entire internet with an issue.  I thought I was the problem, until I tried it on a competely different PC and it still didn't work.  Guess I'm alone with this.

Re: TUNDRA - Motorola Phone Tools

5 of 19 (11,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2009 9:02:51 AM
(0)
Mentor
Actualy those aren't tundra gripes those are att phone gripes all att phones have those same "problems" so no matter what phone you get with att its all going to have the same "problems"
Actualy those aren't tundra gripes those are att phone gripes all att phones have those same "problems" so no matter what phone you get with att its all going to have the same "problems"

6 of 19 (11,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2009 9:13:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mike,

What ver MPT? what usb cable? I have read of problems w/ some cables (I use 1 from a camera) update it to 5.10 then reinstall the USB driver 3.7 from moto.

Does the moto modem load in devices when phone connected and mpt are up? what happens?

Mike,

What ver MPT? what usb cable? I have read of problems w/ some cables (I use 1 from a camera) update it to 5.10 then reinstall the USB driver 3.7 from moto.

Does the moto modem load in devices when phone connected and mpt are up? what happens?

7 of 19 (11,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 11:24:31 AM
(0)
Professor

We couldn't get the Tundra to connect with MPT until we called Motorola and they sent us a link to the Actual Newest Version of MPT instead of the one ours updated itself to.

Now it works great. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

We couldn't get the Tundra to connect with MPT until we called Motorola and they sent us a link to the Actual Newest Version of MPT instead of the one ours updated itself to.

Now it works great. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

8 of 19 (11,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 12:16:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have version 4.5.6a AFTER I let it update itself.  I guess it won't pull down 5.1 for some reason.  Anyone know how I can get the 5.1 update?
I have version 4.5.6a AFTER I let it update itself.  I guess it won't pull down 5.1 for some reason.  Anyone know how I can get the 5.1 update?

9 of 19 (11,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 1:12:35 PM
(0)
Professor

Ours would only update itself to 5.0.7h or something like that.

Call Motorola technical support at 1-800-331-6456 and tell them you're having problems updating Motorola Phone Tools. They sent us an email with a link to the newest one, we uninstalled our old one, installed the new one, and now the Tundra works great.

Of course, now my RAZR won't connect, but I can live with having two versions of MPT on two computers.

Ours would only update itself to 5.0.7h or something like that.

Call Motorola technical support at 1-800-331-6456 and tell them you're having problems updating Motorola Phone Tools. They sent us an email with a link to the newest one, we uninstalled our old one, installed the new one, and now the Tundra works great.

Of course, now my RAZR won't connect, but I can live with having two versions of MPT on two computers.

10 of 19 (11,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 6:30:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

I just kept going back to the Motorola Live UPdate and it kept downloading a newer version everytime until I'm up to 5.13 or something like that.

Tim

I just kept going back to the Motorola Live UPdate and it kept downloading a newer version everytime until I'm up to 5.13 or something like that.

Tim

11 of 19 (5,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2009 8:17:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does anyone know how to modify the default sound profiles or develop a custom sound profile?

The default vibrate behaviour of the phone is to vibrate every 5-10minutes after a missed call. This is incredibly annoying, and I'm looking for a way to the missed call alert off.

Thanks,

Does anyone know how to modify the default sound profiles or develop a custom sound profile?

The default vibrate behaviour of the phone is to vibrate every 5-10minutes after a missed call. This is incredibly annoying, and I'm looking for a way to the missed call alert off.

Thanks,

12 of 19 (5,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2009 8:23:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
To the best of my knowledge, just like all other Motorola phones, you can't turn off the missed call alert.  I get really mad when I wake up in the middle of the night to that stupid beep, just because I missed a text message while I was sleeping.  Stupid feature.
To the best of my knowledge, just like all other Motorola phones, you can't turn off the missed call alert.  I get really mad when I wake up in the middle of the night to that stupid beep, just because I missed a text message while I was sleeping.  Stupid feature.

13 of 19 (5,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2009 11:07:40 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by robotfist on Oct 25, 2009 at 11:10:29 AM

This phone is driving me NUTS.

I can't believe people can stand the continuous text/missing call/voicemail alerts?  How is it that customers aren't knocking down Motorola's door to get it changed?  If I receive 1 text message while I'm asleep or out of the room, the phone will continue to CHIME until I view the message.  If I don't hear it, it will chime and vibrate all night or until the battery is completely drained.  It would chime all week if I never looked at the message!!!!

So ridiculous.  I'm returning the phone because of it, and I will not even think of getting a Motorola phone until they fix it.   

A $300 phone returned due to a stupid software issue. Unbelievable.

Other Tundra issues:

Terrible inner ear speaker.  Voice sound like they're in a tin can or through an old World War II era radio.

The processor on the phone is sloooowwww.  Menus are delayed and choppy and the screen redraw is the worst I've ever seen on a cell phone.

Message Edited by robotfist on 10-25-2009 11:10:29 AM

This phone is driving me NUTS.

I can't believe people can stand the continuous text/missing call/voicemail alerts?  How is it that customers aren't knocking down Motorola's door to get it changed?  If I receive 1 text message while I'm asleep or out of the room, the phone will continue to CHIME until I view the message.  If I don't hear it, it will chime and vibrate all night or until the battery is completely drained.  It would chime all week if I never looked at the message!!!!

So ridiculous.  I'm returning the phone because of it, and I will not even think of getting a Motorola phone until they fix it.   

A $300 phone returned due to a stupid software issue. Unbelievable.

Other Tundra issues:

Terrible inner ear speaker.  Voice sound like they're in a tin can or through an old World War II era radio.

The processor on the phone is sloooowwww.  Menus are delayed and choppy and the screen redraw is the worst I've ever seen on a cell phone.

Message Edited by robotfist on 10-25-2009 11:10:29 AM

[ Edited ]
14 of 19 (4,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 11:48:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

This is truly sad. 

How can anyone, any manufacturer or any carrier allow such a nightmare of a phone out the door, do they not test these things?

And to continue to allow it for sale knowing the huge laundry list of problems this phone has is criminal. 

This is truly sad. 

How can anyone, any manufacturer or any carrier allow such a nightmare of a phone out the door, do they not test these things?

And to continue to allow it for sale knowing the huge laundry list of problems this phone has is criminal. 

15 of 19 (3,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 2:48:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Motorola for me works wornders..!!
Motorola for me works wornders..!!

16 of 19 (3,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 6:47:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

A small update.

After reading the forum posts I worked at getting a software update to load.

Here is what I figured out, without Motorola's help.

Tools>Setup>General Setup

Select tab at top of the new window that says <Application Update> and click on the update box

It up dated my version to where it would talk to my Tundra

It jumped me to 5.28 which works

A small update.

After reading the forum posts I worked at getting a software update to load.

Here is what I figured out, without Motorola's help.

Tools>Setup>General Setup

Select tab at top of the new window that says <Application Update> and click on the update box

It up dated my version to where it would talk to my Tundra

It jumped me to 5.28 which works

17 of 19 (1,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 6:49:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Some people complained about the reminder beeps, but I selected the Tundra because it does.

the Nokia I had before would not do reminders and I would miss out on stuff

Some people complained about the reminder beeps, but I selected the Tundra because it does.

the Nokia I had before would not do reminders and I would miss out on stuff

18 of 19 (1,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2010 2:26:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

Big thanks to Motorola and AT&T for teaming up and locking the contact list with 7 of "THEIR" favorite contacts!!!  I thought contacts were a place to keep friends and family not to do things like "SHOP AT&T"! And unless your friends name is Aardvark or something guess who is on the top of your contact list..  That's right AT&T...  Of course you can assign them to a group but that wont take them off the list you'll just have 2 copies...  Great phone totally screwed up by AT&T. 

And the PTT button as previously mentioned.... And the continuial nagging call reminder you can't turn off.  Just set the phone by your bed at night to see how big a pain that is.  I like being reminded of a missed call but once is enough allready.

These are all stupid software problems, yes problems, not features that could easily be fixed. 

Big thanks to Motorola and AT&T for teaming up and locking the contact list with 7 of "THEIR" favorite contacts!!!  I thought contacts were a place to keep friends and family not to do things like "SHOP AT&T"! And unless your friends name is Aardvark or something guess who is on the top of your contact list..  That's right AT&T...  Of course you can assign them to a group but that wont take them off the list you'll just have 2 copies...  Great phone totally screwed up by AT&T. 

And the PTT button as previously mentioned.... And the continuial nagging call reminder you can't turn off.  Just set the phone by your bed at night to see how big a pain that is.  I like being reminded of a missed call but once is enough allready.

These are all stupid software problems, yes problems, not features that could easily be fixed. 

19 of 19 (1,905 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments