TRUE customer service at the smaller level...

Tutor

TRUE customer service at the smaller level...

In late November '11 I purchased an ATT (apple) Iphone4 car charger from a kiosk AT&T store (M370) in Manhattan Mall in Manhattan, Kansas. After a week went by I decided to plug it in and utilize it. Everything worked great with no complaints EXCEPT when I had to remove it from my A/C adapter  from my car. It was stuck, and I don't mean difficult to remove, I mean it was STUCK. Now everything still worked, there were no issues with performance, just that it was stuck. After an hour of prying and pulling carefully not to break anything I decided to Google the topic and see if any others were having this similar issue. To my surprise there were MANY posts/topics related to my exact issue with this exact phone charger. 

After reviewing several posts I decide to call AT&T customer service to see if there is a way to remedy this situation. I talked to a CSR (customer service representative) for about 15 min explaining my situation, the Google findings,and got nowhere.  I asked politely to speak to someone above her; it was granted. At the next level still did not receive any help as far as a remedy to my issue. I requested to speak to someone higher than this person, it was granted. After explaining my situation of having a piece of their equipment stuck in my vehicle, in an hour's time now, I was getting the run around and was told that there was simply "nothing we can do for you." I was also told it could possibly be a manufacturer's defect and I should call Apple instead of AT&T and also  call the store from which I purchased the product from.

By now, I'm not happy but understanding. I call Apple and get NO answers except for it MUST be a defect with the vehicle since all their products are "examined one by one by professionals before deployment". I would buy that but keeping in mind of all the Google subjects that were posted regarding THIS very matter.

Now frustrated but keeping a cool head, I call the AT&T store from which I purchased the car charger from  and explained my situation. The manager Jamie asked me to come in and he would personally take a look at the problem. Surprised but delighted getting somewhere I accepted and drove to see him. When I arrived, he "dropped everything" and assisted me. We both go out to my vehicle and he looks and also tries to extract it. He soon finds out what I am dealing with. We went as far as pulling my shifter boot off and literally put from either side of the A/C adapter. It was clearly stuck. He took photos from every angle and suggested I go to Ford Dealership and have them extract the equipment from my vehicle and see what they say. Ford dealer extracted the piece and could clearing see no problem with my A/C adapter. Upon further inspection the prongs on the car charger have scrapes and grooves cut in to it from the extraction and had LITTLE to NO play in the prongs (wont push in).

I called Jamie back the following week after I was able to go to the Ford Dealer and requested I come in so that he may see the car charger. I bring it in and he clearly sees the same as the dealership has suggested. He takes more photos of the device and says he has sent the previous photos and is now sending these photos to his chain of command. He offers to take care of my Dealership bill and exchanges my car charger for a new one. 

I was BLOWN AWAY, it's amazing how a Kiosk Store Manager has more  interest in keeping a valued customer rather than AT&T Customer Service. I kindly accept his offer but were not my intentions, I was just looking to bring this situation up to someone so it could be documented.

Im sorry for the long post but I had to share this. You don't come across customer service like this every day.

Message 1 of 12
Master

Re: TRUE customer service at the smaller level...

Wow, one great experience after another! He offered to take care of your dealership bill and replace the charger for free...unbelievable. You are most certainly right - you don't come across customer service like that every day. I hope it doesn't get stuck again!

Thank you for driving American as well! Smiley Very Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 12
Tutor

Im very particular on my vehicles. My current one is a 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (hence the screen name) with 45K miles. They only made 16000 of these cars. So when Apple said it was a defect with my car? I dont think so. I made sure everything is perfect.

Message 3 of 12
Master

That's awesome! I'm glad to hear it!

I'm tempted to ask what color, but I don't want to stray off topic. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 12

Thats an awesome story, I always love to see the small guys get good credit!

Message 5 of 12
Former Community Manager

What a great experience from Jamie! I'm glad he was able to provide such great service to you. 

I'll see if I can track him down to make sure he sees your kind words. 

~jam

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 12
Tutor

I wish you would track him down and let him view that his selflessness does NOT go unnoticed. 

I believe this gentleman deserves something, because from that mentality, i know I am not the first he's jumped through hoops for and most certianly not the last.

AT&T corporate customer service needs a lesson from this gentleman, that's for sure.

Thank you Jamileh, please do.

Message 7 of 12
Tutor

Dark Silver Gray. I have owned 3 mustangs this same or similar color.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
Former Community Manager

I was able to find him relatively easily thanks to the information you provided and sent a copy of your post to both him and his manager. Smiley Happy

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 12
Tutor

Thank you so much.

I'm a U.S. Soldier from Fort Riley and am a firm believer to give credit where credit is due.
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Contributor

Hello,

I'm glad to here that the store manager was able to pay for your car/phone expenses. It's not everyday you meet people like him that go to great lengths to keep his customers. He is a very kind person!!!!!!

Here is a little bit about my story

I was a former AT&T employee, I provided great customer service to all my customers. When I had a problem with my dads' bill it went down hill from there being that my family has been loyal customers to AT&T since 92'. All we got was the run around of the last 3 years about a billing issue I'm still dealing with. It's unbelievable how the csr and supervisor treat their customer with no respect at all when it's their fault they messed up your bill. Well I'm glad to say that I found this community board and the managers are helping me. I couldn't be more happy right now. I'm just waiting for the outcome Smiley Happy

Thank you

Message 11 of 12
Contributor

I truly appreciate the kind words from you Philip.  I don't believe I necessarilyy deserve them though as I only did what I would have liked done if I were on the other end.   I believe if more people followed the Golden Rule rather than hiding behind policies and procedures there would be less need for forumslike this to offer complaints and praise. 

The true thanks belongs to you as a soldier.  I can't thank you enough for signing up to serve and protect my family and many others of whom you do not even know. 

I certainly appreciate your words of praise, but more importanly, thank you for your service.

Sincerely,

Jamie

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support