Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 18, 2011
2:43:55 PM
View profile
THis device is a hoax

It works, however they do not want you to know that it uses your broadband to make calls and you still have to pay for the calls.  Isn't that just wonderful.  I pay for service they cannot provide then want me to provide internet to connect on my phone.  Something just doesn't sound right about this one.

Common people how long will we allow AT&T to steal from us.

It works, however they do not want you to know that it uses your broadband to make calls and you still have to pay for the calls.  Isn't that just wonderful.  I pay for service they cannot provide then want me to provide internet to connect on my phone.  Something just doesn't sound right about this one.

Common people how long will we allow AT&T to steal from us.

THis device is a hoax

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 10:15:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
That was one of the first complaints made about the MicroCell when it was first introduced. You can opt to pay $19.95/month for unlimited calls with the MicroCell, live within your existing plan, or pay for the overages. Subsidizing AT&T for poor coverage suc** but that's how the game is played.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

That was one of the first complaints made about the MicroCell when it was first introduced. You can opt to pay $19.95/month for unlimited calls with the MicroCell, live within your existing plan, or pay for the overages. Subsidizing AT&T for poor coverage suc** but that's how the game is played.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: THis device is a hoax

2 of 7 (873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2011 2:09:04 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:33:57 PM

Yes that's how the game is played. T-Mobile customers provide their own Internet connection to enable their T-Mobile phones to do WiFi calling on their home WiFi. Can the parcel delivery guy use your driveway to deliver parcels? That's a similar game, isn't that so.

Yes that's how the game is played. T-Mobile customers provide their own Internet connection to enable their T-Mobile phones to do WiFi calling on their home WiFi. Can the parcel delivery guy use your driveway to deliver parcels? That's a similar game, isn't that so.

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 8:58:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

A hoax? They tell you up front that that's what it does.

A hoax? They tell you up front that that's what it does.

4 of 7 (805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2011 7:02:25 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pamelaz on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:03:33 PM

yep we know upfront it uses broadband. It is optional for us to use it or not. What should no be optional is for this device to work properly. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

yep we know upfront it uses broadband. It is optional for us to use it or not. What should no be optional is for this device to work properly. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Re: THis device is a hoax ... or a lawyer's heven

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (672 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 10:32:28 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by thively on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:33:06 AM
"they do not want you to know that it uses your broadband to make calls and you still have to pay for the calls."

From the AT&T microcell web page:

"Connects to your broadband Internet service to create a strong, secure, sharable 3G signal in your home. Up to four AT&T 3G or 4G phones can be used at the same time.  View "How It Works" video"

I was under the impression that they advertise this is specifically the benefit of the microcell, that it uses your broadband to extend coverage in to your home or business where the signal is weak.  So I wouldn't say that they don't want you to know this... the explicitly advertise it.

However, I thing that shouldn't make you pay for the 3G data that travels across it.  They charge you full rate for the data that goes over YOUR broadband that YOU already pay for.  And this is after making you pay for a microcell to suppliment coverage because they don't provide it.

I also think calls should be cheaper or free without the additional monthly $20 fee, or that fee should be lower.  If I didn't already have unlimited nights, weekends, and to any mobile on any carrier it might be a bigger deal.  But as it is most of my minutes already fall in to unlimited and rarely use any of my 'any time' (I have thousands of rollover accumulated.)

Or tie unlimited m-cell in to the unlimited messaging plan like they do any-mobile to any-mobile.

$20/month for unlimited m-cell calls that have a 2 second delay?  No thanks.

"they do not want you to know that it uses your broadband to make calls and you still have to pay for the calls."

From the AT&T microcell web page:

"Connects to your broadband Internet service to create a strong, secure, sharable 3G signal in your home. Up to four AT&T 3G or 4G phones can be used at the same time.  View "How It Works" video"

I was under the impression that they advertise this is specifically the benefit of the microcell, that it uses your broadband to extend coverage in to your home or business where the signal is weak.  So I wouldn't say that they don't want you to know this... the explicitly advertise it.

However, I thing that shouldn't make you pay for the 3G data that travels across it.  They charge you full rate for the data that goes over YOUR broadband that YOU already pay for.  And this is after making you pay for a microcell to suppliment coverage because they don't provide it.

I also think calls should be cheaper or free without the additional monthly $20 fee, or that fee should be lower.  If I didn't already have unlimited nights, weekends, and to any mobile on any carrier it might be a bigger deal.  But as it is most of my minutes already fall in to unlimited and rarely use any of my 'any time' (I have thousands of rollover accumulated.)

Or tie unlimited m-cell in to the unlimited messaging plan like they do any-mobile to any-mobile.

$20/month for unlimited m-cell calls that have a 2 second delay?  No thanks.

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 12:59:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I guess it's all how you use your phones. We have a legacy Family Plan (from the old PacBell days) with shared 1700 minutes, unlimited anytime, any phone. There are 5 phones on the plan, 3 iPhones and 2, 3G Samsungs. One of the iPhones is still at home but we have never exceeded our allotted minutes. During the holidays, all 3 iPhones are home (using the MicroCell) and our monthly charge stays the same. I paid $100 for my MicroCell without any additional fee. Of course we kept our landline for crystal clear, trouble-free calls (including 911) but the kids (who live on their cells) have never complained about lost or dropped calls, delayed calls, messaging issues, or any of the other "absolutely necessary" functions that they need.
I agree that it $ucks that you have to subsidize AT&T for poor coverage (there should be some sort of monthly credit to MicroCell users) and that the MicroCell is so friggin' troublesome for some folks but for us, it's worked as designed (coverage in our house) with no increase in our cell phone bill.

I guess it's all how you use your phones. We have a legacy Family Plan (from the old PacBell days) with shared 1700 minutes, unlimited anytime, any phone. There are 5 phones on the plan, 3 iPhones and 2, 3G Samsungs. One of the iPhones is still at home but we have never exceeded our allotted minutes. During the holidays, all 3 iPhones are home (using the MicroCell) and our monthly charge stays the same. I paid $100 for my MicroCell without any additional fee. Of course we kept our landline for crystal clear, trouble-free calls (including 911) but the kids (who live on their cells) have never complained about lost or dropped calls, delayed calls, messaging issues, or any of the other "absolutely necessary" functions that they need.
I agree that it $ucks that you have to subsidize AT&T for poor coverage (there should be some sort of monthly credit to MicroCell users) and that the MicroCell is so friggin' troublesome for some folks but for us, it's worked as designed (coverage in our house) with no increase in our cell phone bill.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (490 Views)