Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2010
9:16:16 AM
Switching to Iphone from Samsung Eternity
Hey, I was thinking about upgrading my Samsung Eternity and becoming yet another Iphone user. I was wondering if anyone has done this switch and how it worked out. Also... I currently have the 20$ a month unlimited data and texting plan... Will I need to change this for the Iphone? What are the cost of the other plans? How quickly does the Iphone fill up? the 8gb compared to the 16 and 32... Yes I know 16 and 32 are bigger, but is it easy to fill up?
Hey, I was thinking about upgrading my Samsung Eternity and becoming yet another Iphone user. I was wondering if anyone has done this switch and how it worked out. Also... I currently have the 20$ a month unlimited data and texting plan... Will I need to change this for the Iphone? What are the cost of the other plans? How quickly does the Iphone fill up? the 8gb compared to the 16 and 32... Yes I know 16 and 32 are bigger, but is it easy to fill up?

Switching to Iphone from Samsung Eternity

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 11:32:13 AM
(0)
Expert

bam5268bam1 wrote:

Your current data/text plan will not work. You will need to choose a data plan - 200 MB @ 15.00 or 2GB @ 25.00 then add a texting plan to it. 8GB is a 3GS, the older phone, the Iphone 4 is 16 or 32.

Filling is what you put on it, so that will be dependant on what how much music, vidoe, etc you put on the phone.

bam5268bam1 wrote:

Your current data/text plan will not work. You will need to choose a data plan - 200 MB @ 15.00 or 2GB @ 25.00 then add a texting plan to it. 8GB is a 3GS, the older phone, the Iphone 4 is 16 or 32.

Filling is what you put on it, so that will be dependant on what how much music, vidoe, etc you put on the phone.

Re: Switching to Iphone from Samsung Eternity

2 of 18 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 11:46:38 AM
(0)
Professor

I just want to add, that while 2GB does not seem a lot, it actually is for most people. We have in our company 4 iPhones, and while we are grandfathered with the unlimited plans, no one gets close to 2GB of usage.

I just want to add, that while 2GB does not seem a lot, it actually is for most people. We have in our company 4 iPhones, and while we are grandfathered with the unlimited plans, no one gets close to 2GB of usage.

3 of 18 (1,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 12:25:26 PM
(0)
Guru

I upgraded a month ago from the Eternity to the iPhone 4.  While I really loved my Eternity, I love the iPhone even more!! I have no regrets about upgrading!! I chose the 2GB data plan and have the umlimited family texting. Will be upgrading our other Eternity when eligible in January.  I recommend the 2GB plan over the 200MB, especially for a few months until you see just how much data you use. My data usage has definitely jumped with the iPhone because you can just do so much more with an iPhone compared to the Eternity.

I upgraded a month ago from the Eternity to the iPhone 4.  While I really loved my Eternity, I love the iPhone even more!! I have no regrets about upgrading!! I chose the 2GB data plan and have the umlimited family texting. Will be upgrading our other Eternity when eligible in January.  I recommend the 2GB plan over the 200MB, especially for a few months until you see just how much data you use. My data usage has definitely jumped with the iPhone because you can just do so much more with an iPhone compared to the Eternity.

4 of 18 (1,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 2:06:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You can change to the unlimited plan for $30 if you want to, but you need to do it when you change phones.  Once you "choose" a capped plan, you won't be able to go back to unlimited.

You can change to the unlimited plan for $30 if you want to, but you need to do it when you change phones.  Once you "choose" a capped plan, you won't be able to go back to unlimited.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 18 (1,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 4:34:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm sorry, but if you aren't already on a smart phone unlimited data plan, you can no longer get one.  That chage wet into effect back in early June 2010...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I'm sorry, but if you aren't already on a smart phone unlimited data plan, you can no longer get one.  That chage wet into effect back in early June 2010...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 18 (1,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 6:13:44 PM
(0)
Guru

DITTO to GeekBoy! The Eternity is NOT a smart phone so therefore OP doesn't currently have a "smart phone" data plan. Unlimited smart phone data plans have been discontinued. I am a recent former Eternity user so I recommend starting out with the 2GB ($25) plan. You can always drop down if you find yourself using under 200MB. I'm not a data hog but I have used more data with the iPhone than I did with the Eternity.

DITTO to GeekBoy! The Eternity is NOT a smart phone so therefore OP doesn't currently have a "smart phone" data plan. Unlimited smart phone data plans have been discontinued. I am a recent former Eternity user so I recommend starting out with the 2GB ($25) plan. You can always drop down if you find yourself using under 200MB. I'm not a data hog but I have used more data with the iPhone than I did with the Eternity.

7 of 18 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 7:54:54 PM
(0)
Teacher
Is texting included in the 25$ for the 2gb or do I need to add another feature on there?
Is texting included in the 25$ for the 2gb or do I need to add another feature on there?

8 of 18 (1,548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 7:57:23 PM
(0)
Professor

Texting is not included, you would need to add a seperate feature for messaging.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Texting is not included, you would need to add a seperate feature for messaging.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

9 of 18 (1,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 8:57:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Texting is an additional cost. $5 for 200, $15 for 1500, or $20 for unlimited.
Texting is an additional cost. $5 for 200, $15 for 1500, or $20 for unlimited.

10 of 18 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 9:14:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I apologize. I didn't realize that the Eternity was not a smartphone.

I apologize. I didn't realize that the Eternity was not a smartphone.

11 of 18 (1,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 4:06:10 PM
(0)
Teacher
Looks like I'm skipping on the Iphone... Not going to pay 20 for unlimited texting and then another 25 for internet.
Looks like I'm skipping on the Iphone... Not going to pay 20 for unlimited texting and then another 25 for internet.

12 of 18 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 3:32:11 AM
(0)
Expert

bam5268bam1 wrote:

that cost is not unique to the Iphone - it covers every phone designated as a smartphone - captivate, blackberry, windows mobile, etc

bam5268bam1 wrote:

that cost is not unique to the Iphone - it covers every phone designated as a smartphone - captivate, blackberry, windows mobile, etc

13 of 18 (1,368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 9:59:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a simmilar delema as him. I have the same phone and plan on switching to Iphone. I knew I'd have to pay the 30$ for 2gb of data and all, but what if the family plan I'm part of has Unlimited data and texts and a certain amount of minutes? Would the texts and min's run over to the iphone and I just have to pay for the data? Also, essentually when I put my sim in the iphone will I get a text or something saying "hey, would you like to upgrade to the 2gb of data" Mainly I just wanna make sure my texts will transfer over since it's an umlimited text family plan.

I have a simmilar delema as him. I have the same phone and plan on switching to Iphone. I knew I'd have to pay the 30$ for 2gb of data and all, but what if the family plan I'm part of has Unlimited data and texts and a certain amount of minutes? Would the texts and min's run over to the iphone and I just have to pay for the data? Also, essentually when I put my sim in the iphone will I get a text or something saying "hey, would you like to upgrade to the 2gb of data" Mainly I just wanna make sure my texts will transfer over since it's an umlimited text family plan.

14 of 18 (1,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 10:12:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

iPhones (and any other smart phone for that matter) can share minutes & text messages on a family plan, but they are not allowed to share data.  Each smart phone must have its own data plan.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

iPhones (and any other smart phone for that matter) can share minutes & text messages on a family plan, but they are not allowed to share data.  Each smart phone must have its own data plan.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

15 of 18 (1,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 10:23:47 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by brainwaver on Sep 20, 2010 at 10:27:39 AM

I'm on a family plan that had two Eternities: the unlimited family messaging for $30 and each phone had the unlimited family data at $10 each. When I got my iPhone I had to drop the unlimited family data ($10) on my line and I got the ($25) 2GB iPhone data plan. I kept the unlimited family messaging for both lines ($30) and the unlimited family data ($10) on the second line (Eternity). AT&T still offers unlimited data on regular phones; just NOT the smart phone data plans.

Now when I upgrade our second line to an iPhone in January, I will again have to drop the unlimited family data ($10) and go with the ($25) 2GB iPhone data plan. But I will keep the unlimited family texting plan ($30).

The iPhone has a micro sim card so you can NOT use the same sim card from the Eternity. You can, however, put the iPhone sim card into your Eternity to copy your contacts. I did it and it worked fine. Just remember, if you have multiple phone numbers for a person it will only copy ONE of them.

I'm on a family plan that had two Eternities: the unlimited family messaging for $30 and each phone had the unlimited family data at $10 each. When I got my iPhone I had to drop the unlimited family data ($10) on my line and I got the ($25) 2GB iPhone data plan. I kept the unlimited family messaging for both lines ($30) and the unlimited family data ($10) on the second line (Eternity). AT&T still offers unlimited data on regular phones; just NOT the smart phone data plans.

Now when I upgrade our second line to an iPhone in January, I will again have to drop the unlimited family data ($10) and go with the ($25) 2GB iPhone data plan. But I will keep the unlimited family texting plan ($30).

The iPhone has a micro sim card so you can NOT use the same sim card from the Eternity. You can, however, put the iPhone sim card into your Eternity to copy your contacts. I did it and it worked fine. Just remember, if you have multiple phone numbers for a person it will only copy ONE of them.

[ Edited ]
16 of 18 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 10:40:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

Then how do I use the used Iphone I bought? Do I call At&t and tell them to transfer my account to the iphone card?

Then how do I use the used Iphone I bought? Do I call At&t and tell them to transfer my account to the iphone card?

17 of 18 (1,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 10:50:18 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Sep 20, 2010 at 10:52:26 AM

ibetheelmo wrote:

If you currently have a 3G sim card or 3G Micro sim card, you can visit www.att.com/activations and follow the prompts on changing your current cellular to the iPhone. This includes what is your IMEI code and what is your SIM code in the iPhone. You can pop out the current SIM and add your SIM as long as you are the primary owner of the iPhone and it is not tied to a current account.

Afterwards, it will request adjustments to your account including voice, text (optional), and 200MB/2GB data plan as well as other AT&T provided features not required such as Navigator.

ibetheelmo wrote:

If you currently have a 3G sim card or 3G Micro sim card, you can visit www.att.com/activations and follow the prompts on changing your current cellular to the iPhone. This includes what is your IMEI code and what is your SIM code in the iPhone. You can pop out the current SIM and add your SIM as long as you are the primary owner of the iPhone and it is not tied to a current account.

Afterwards, it will request adjustments to your account including voice, text (optional), and 200MB/2GB data plan as well as other AT&T provided features not required such as Navigator.

[ Edited ]
18 of 18 (1,323 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments