Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 20, 2011
6:43:40 AM
View profile
Switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone = Big MISTAKE!
Edited by rkane17 on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:40:53 AM

I got my 1st bill from AT&T the other day and SURPRISE there's an over charge for data on my daughter's crappy iPhone! From the day she got the stupid phone I was monitoring her data usage...checking it EVERY DAY!  I find it awfully suspicious that less than 48hrs before my bill is due that the iPhone used over 40% of its allotted data. Especially when my daughter wasn’t using the phone AT ALL for over 30 of those hours and then anytime she was using it the phone was on my WiFi.

So I call AT&T to complain and get the blanket statement “it would be cheaper to up here data plan” pretty convenient for AT&T huh?!?! Well THAT”S NOT HAPPENING!!! She was put on the lowest data plan for a reason….I’m paying for more than the 200.

So over 30 mins into this phone call I still have no explanation on how this phone used 127mb of data in less than 48hrs when for 29 days it was barely using any at all.  No new aps since the 1st week of getting phone and running on WiFi for 90% of the time.  I got the usual runaround about crap loading in background and blah bal blah…. No answer on how to keep this from happening again.

So after talking to an Apple Rep I was told how to turn OFF all the things that would pull data. Hmmm not even 5mins on the phone and I am told this…30mins on phone with AT&T nothing but a runaround.

Now shouldn’t I be happy that I can control this phone now and not get ripped off by AT&T overcharging data??? One would think!!! So with data turned OFF, Push turned OFF, and only using connections when on WiFi someone want to explain how her phone is still using DATA????

My point is I don’t have a choice of having a data plan or not but when I choose the lowest plan then AT&T and/or Apple better make a way to KEEP these phones from going over their plans.  So WHY NOT Shut down the data when customers hit their limit….oh because we need to rip people off that’s WHY!!! When my car runs out of gas it stops working It doesn’t refill itself and then send me the bill AFTER!!!

And this is for the person who replied in someone else’s similar situation post…

Smartphones are computers that make calls?  Do you give your ISP provider such grief?  I have to wonder why you didn't get her a phone that just made and received calls?  I don't pay for DSL, the $25 2gig plan is much cheaper.  I have to say that I don't think a huge corporation depends on your overage.  Do you call your car manufacturer and the loan company that holds your car note to stop you from using gas too?  Really?

My answer is “Your reply is so asinine!!! If my car was still using gas when it is shut off then YES!!! I wouldn't just be complaining to my manufacturer I'd be suing them!

You seem to forget that we can choose when to drive the car and not...unlike the iPhone & At&T service. Going by your statement everyone should let their cars run in the driveway all day because "well it's a car and they use gas"

signed,

iRate iPhone & AT&T customer

I got my 1st bill from AT&T the other day and SURPRISE there's an over charge for data on my daughter's crappy iPhone! From the day she got the stupid phone I was monitoring her data usage...checking it EVERY DAY!  I find it awfully suspicious that less than 48hrs before my bill is due that the iPhone used over 40% of its allotted data. Especially when my daughter wasn’t using the phone AT ALL for over 30 of those hours and then anytime she was using it the phone was on my WiFi.

So I call AT&T to complain and get the blanket statement “it would be cheaper to up here data plan” pretty convenient for AT&T huh?!?! Well THAT”S NOT HAPPENING!!! She was put on the lowest data plan for a reason….I’m paying for more than the 200.

So over 30 mins into this phone call I still have no explanation on how this phone used 127mb of data in less than 48hrs when for 29 days it was barely using any at all.  No new aps since the 1st week of getting phone and running on WiFi for 90% of the time.  I got the usual runaround about crap loading in background and blah bal blah…. No answer on how to keep this from happening again.

So after talking to an Apple Rep I was told how to turn OFF all the things that would pull data. Hmmm not even 5mins on the phone and I am told this…30mins on phone with AT&T nothing but a runaround.

Now shouldn’t I be happy that I can control this phone now and not get ripped off by AT&T overcharging data??? One would think!!! So with data turned OFF, Push turned OFF, and only using connections when on WiFi someone want to explain how her phone is still using DATA????

My point is I don’t have a choice of having a data plan or not but when I choose the lowest plan then AT&T and/or Apple better make a way to KEEP these phones from going over their plans.  So WHY NOT Shut down the data when customers hit their limit….oh because we need to rip people off that’s WHY!!! When my car runs out of gas it stops working It doesn’t refill itself and then send me the bill AFTER!!!

And this is for the person who replied in someone else’s similar situation post…

Smartphones are computers that make calls?  Do you give your ISP provider such grief?  I have to wonder why you didn't get her a phone that just made and received calls?  I don't pay for DSL, the $25 2gig plan is much cheaper.  I have to say that I don't think a huge corporation depends on your overage.  Do you call your car manufacturer and the loan company that holds your car note to stop you from using gas too?  Really?

My answer is “Your reply is so asinine!!! If my car was still using gas when it is shut off then YES!!! I wouldn't just be complaining to my manufacturer I'd be suing them!

You seem to forget that we can choose when to drive the car and not...unlike the iPhone & At&T service. Going by your statement everyone should let their cars run in the driveway all day because "well it's a car and they use gas"

signed,

iRate iPhone & AT&T customer

Switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone = Big MISTAKE!

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 7:47:03 AM
(0)
Professor
While it won’t do anything for what has already happened, there is an incredibly simple method to control cell data usage in the future. As described in the manual, go into Settings and turn the cellular data OFF. If your daughter is around WiFi most of the time, it will have little impact. When she is out of a WiFi area and needs to use data, she can turn the cellular data on and then back off again as soon as she’s done. Problem solved for the future. Then she will be in full control of how much data she uses.
While it won’t do anything for what has already happened, there is an incredibly simple method to control cell data usage in the future. As described in the manual, go into Settings and turn the cellular data OFF. If your daughter is around WiFi most of the time, it will have little impact. When she is out of a WiFi area and needs to use data, she can turn the cellular data on and then back off again as soon as she’s done. Problem solved for the future. Then she will be in full control of how much data she uses.

Re: Switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone = Big MISTAKE!

2 of 3 (441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 8:29:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dwill05 wrote:
Exactly. That's the best way to do it. If there is no cellular data connection, the phone cannot connect/use data at all. When Wi-Fi is a substitute, it has full privileges against cellular data.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

dwill05 wrote:
Exactly. That's the best way to do it. If there is no cellular data connection, the phone cannot connect/use data at all. When Wi-Fi is a substitute, it has full privileges against cellular data.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone = Big MISTAKE!

3 of 3 (431 Views)