Switching from iPhone to old ATT phone

Contributor

Switching from iPhone to old ATT phone

Can it be done?

Message 1 of 8 (2,840 Views)
Master

Re: Switching from iPhone to old ATT phone

Yes you can do that.

You can also have the iPhone data plan removed if you decide you don't want to use the iPhone anymore.  You will need to provide customer service the IMEI number off of the non-iPhone device that you will be using.  After that you cannot use the iPhone because if you do it will automatically add the data plan back and bill you for it.

Message 2 of 8 (2,832 Views)
Contributor

Ok, I've gotta be honest. I really only want to do this long enough to get some old pictures out of the old device. These pics are lodged in some multi media messages Inboxes/Outboxes. I'm not sure if this will work because I dont know if the messages will still be there once the old device is reactivated. It still has the old SIM in it though.

Message 3 of 8 (2,819 Views)
Expert

JackThePumpkinKing wrote:

Ok, I've gotta be honest. I really only want to do this long enough to get some old pictures out of the old device. These pics are lodged in some multi media messages Inboxes/Outboxes. I'm not sure if this will work because I dont know if the messages will still be there once the old device is reactivated. It still has the old SIM in it though.

If you had the older unlimited Iphone data plan and you do this, chances are you will not get it back when you switch back to the iphone.

Message 4 of 8 (2,809 Views)
Professor

I guess what you are needing to do is cheaper than starting up a secondary phone line then cancelling it once you've retrieved what you need from the old phone. Too bad its two different operating sysems you're dealing with, othewise, would be nice to simply stick the sim card into the non-active phone, retreive what u need then plug it back into the active phone.

Yep that's one reason why I save the picture to my local phone or storge card soon after receiving a multimedia pic msg.  Then i delete the messages so not to chew up all of the memory on the phone. Then i have access to family and friends pics wihout worrying about the msg getting deleted and never seeing the shot again.

Message 5 of 8 (2,762 Views)
Voyager

Good Evening All~~Smiley Surprised

I downgraded in Oct. from iphone 3g to some old clamshell phone, and customer service did just what you said, asked for the IMEI number off the non iphone.  I did this to save money....as I was 22 mos. unemployed!!

I got a job in Oct, downgraded the Iphone, lost the job 1/7/11, then downgraded my mins. plan and saved myself a ton of money the other night, logging on and seeing that I had gone over the 450 mins plan by 361 mins! 

We just upped the plan and backdated to 2/1/11. That's why I had 5000 rollover, because I  just don't want to worry.

My question is this, for 20 dollars or so I am going to go back to the iphone 3g, and called in about the change in the plans, but forgot to ask what do I have to do to activate the iphone 3g again, if anything??

I think with a brand new ATT acct they say go into the store, but if I don't have to, I will accomplish activation from the comforts of home. ?

Do I just call customer service, put my sim card in, and let them set up that new funky voicemail and whatever else they need to do?  I know I have done this before, I just can't remember!

I appreciate the help, and patience.

I am a former ATT employee of 12 years, and in the five years since I was downsized, I can't get near what ATT compensated me!

Have a good evening and I am probably doing this on Friday, so I await someone's wisdom!!

Take care,

Doris =Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 8 (2,297 Views)
Master

Yes you should just be able to take the SIM card fro the old phone and place it in the iPhone 3G.

After (or you can do it before) that Call ATT and have them add the iPhone data plan to your line of service.  

Message 7 of 8 (2,290 Views)
Highlighted
Voyager

Thank You Planet-Ed!!!  Smiley Happy

I appreciate your time and input!!

odaat1120

"Doris" =:o

Message 8 of 8 (2,206 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.