Suspected fraud has made my mother unable to upgrade.

Contributor

Suspected fraud has made my mother unable to upgrade.

Hello.

As the title says there was some suspected fraud on my ATT account in the way of a false upgrade.

It goes like this;

• My mom bought an iphone 3gs two years ago, thus making her eligible for an upgrade now.
  • We go to the store and the sales person (David at the I-40 store in Amarillo, Texas) told us that she had already upgraded.
  • She showed him that she still had her iPhone, and that she has not upgraded.
  • He looks into it and sees that a person in Washington state had "upgraded" my mother's phone to an Inspire 4G back in April 2011.
  • (on an unrelated note, I did an early upgrade in may or April to an inspire 4G, but my IMEI is different from the one in question.)
  • David recommended that we call the ATT fraud department to see if we could do anything about this.
  • My mother calls them and they say no, they can't do anything about it.
  • The whole conversation lasted maybe five minutes.
  • (David had also worked quite hard to see this resolved and was quite distraught when they told my mother this.)
  • My mother now has to wait until April, 2013 to "upgrade" her phone.

I was just hoping that this is untrue and that ATT can do something about this., as is quite a bad business practice to shoo off a customer with a problem such a as this.

I am hopeful that ATT can resolve this issue.

I mean, who would have a whole department for fraud investigations and then not have them do their job?

Message 1 of 2 (929 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Suspected fraud has made my mother unable to upgrade.

[ Edited ]

ichiar wrote:

Hello.

As the title says there was some suspected fraud on my ATT account in the way of a false upgrade.

It goes like this;

• My mom bought an iphone 3gs two years ago, thus making her eligible for an upgrade now.
  • We go to the store and the sales person (David at the I-40 store in Amarillo, Texas) told us that she had already upgraded.
  • She showed him that she still had her iPhone, and that she has not upgraded.
  • He looks into it and sees that a person in Washington state had "upgraded" my mother's phone to an Inspire 4G back in April 2011.
  • (on an unrelated note, I did an early upgrade in may or April to an inspire 4G, but my IMEI is different from the one in question.)
  • David recommended that we call the ATT fraud department to see if we could do anything about this.
  • My mother calls them and they say no, they can't do anything about it.
  • The whole conversation lasted maybe five minutes.
  • (David had also worked quite hard to see this resolved and was quite distraught when they told my mother this.)
  • My mother now has to wait until April, 2013 to "upgrade" her phone.

I was just hoping that this is untrue and that ATT can do something about this., as is quite a bad business practice to shoo off a customer with a problem such a as this.

I am hopeful that ATT can resolve this issue.

I mean, who would have a whole department for fraud investigations and then not have them do their job?

Reach out to one of the Community Managers here.  Jamileh can help you.  Send her a private message and she will try to do what she can!  There are no guarantees but she has helped lots of folks here!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 2 (894 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.