Subsidy unlock from ATT has wrong IMEI

Teacher

Subsidy unlock from ATT has wrong IMEI

I've had quite a time getting my Nokia e71x subsidy unlock codes so I can use it with any SIM card.  The first two AT&T reps didn't know what an unlock code was, and the third got all the way through trying to give me the unlock code before I realized he was giving me the SIM unlock code rather than the subsidy unlock code.  That's why I'm posting this question here rather than calling AT&T; their reps have no clue about unlocking.

Anyway, I finally got an AT&T rep to send me a subsidy unlock code, which took a week or so to arrive by email.  The thing is the IMEI listed on the email is not mine.  They got the last six digits of the IMEI totally wrong, although the initial digits are correct.

Before I try getting AT&T to reissue the unlock code (another week), I thought I'd just ask here... is it possible that the subsidy unlock process changes the IMEI to a new one and that is what they sent me?  Are unlock codes specific to the particular IMEI, because if not maybe I should just try the code they sent me.

Message 1 of 4 (3,455 Views)
Professor

Re: Subsidy unlock from ATT has wrong IMEI

The unlock code does not change the IMEI number of your phone. You received the wrong unlock code, or perhaps the right code but they typed in the wrong IMEI number. Try the unlock code, if it doesnt work, they gave you the wrong one, so call again. Dont try the wrong unlock code more than 3 times I believe, as it will prevent you from putting the correct one when you get it.

Message 2 of 4 (3,448 Views)
Teacher

Thanks.  Anyone know if the unlock code is specific to the IMEI for the e71x?  Someone who has used a third party unlocking service might know.  I just ordered a tmobile SIM card from ebay for about $8 so I will be able to test that it doesn't work before unlock and does work to call 611 after the unlock.  I'm going to wait until I get that before I try unlocking just to be conservative with my 3-5 chances.

Message 3 of 4 (3,429 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

aolamit wrote:

Thanks.  Anyone know if the unlock code is specific to the IMEI for the e71x?  Someone who has used a third party unlocking service might know.  I just ordered a tmobile SIM card from ebay for about $8 so I will be able to test that it doesn't work before unlock and does work to call 611 after the unlock.  I'm going to wait until I get that before I try unlocking just to be conservative with my 3-5 chances.

All unlock codes are IMEI specific.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (3,422 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.