Ask a question

Posted Mar 17, 2008
3:05:29 PM
View profile
Stop spam messages from AT&T?
I just joined AT&T in the last 2 months, moving over from Verizon (a mistake, I have since learned). I receive 5-10 spam text messages per week from AT&T to my phone. I don't get messages like this from ANYWHERE else and I don't care if the messages are "free" in that they do not count toward my messaging totals for my plan, I absolutely do not want to receive them.

I looked online but could not find any way to opt out of these messages. I went to the retail store where I purchased the phone/plan and was told by two AT&T employees that there was nothing I could do to stop the messages. In fact, one of them seemed incrdulous that I was even upset since I "wasn't being charged for them". That, of course, is not the point.

Has anyone else here had this problem and been successful in getting the messages to stop? I'd rather not call and have to rant at some unsuspecting phone operator, especially if I'm only going to be told again that I just have to live with it. Any information is helpful. Maybe I just missed something online. I'd love to be able to just navigate to a page on the ATT site and mark the 'Just leave me alone!' checkbox. Thanks in advance...

Stop spam messages from AT&T?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2008 3:19:33 PM
(0)
Master
By going to www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences' on the right, AT&T customers can now setup and manage their PC-to-Mobile messaging preferences (PC2M). Once registered, customers can create an alias, block incoming messages, manage email delivery controls and setup block/allow lists.

Message Preferences manages PC-to-Mobile user preferences and not Mobile-to-Mobile messaging. It helps customers fight against unsolicited messages and other forms of spam. If you have a question, feel free to ask in our Messaging forum or place a call to Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless handset).

*Taken from Sentry: Click Here

Re: Stop spam messages from AT&T?

2 of 4 (2,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2008 3:20:10 PM
(0)
Professor
you can reply "stop" or "cancel" or "do not send"
you can also go to mymessages.wireless.att.com  once you register, you can block certain numbers from sending you messages,.  check the messages, and it should give you the number,.  or you should also be able to block by the company name

3 of 4 (2,454 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2008 8:14:52 PM
(0)
Professor

rnickerson wrote:
I just joined AT&T in the last 2 months, moving over from Verizon (a mistake, I have since learned). I receive 5-10 spam text messages per week from AT&T to my phone. I don't get messages like this from ANYWHERE else and I don't care if the messages are "free" in that they do not count toward my messaging totals for my plan, I absolutely do not want to receive them.

I looked online but could not find any way to opt out of these messages. I went to the retail store where I purchased the phone/plan and was told by two AT&T employees that there was nothing I could do to stop the messages. In fact, one of them seemed incrdulous that I was even upset since I "wasn't being charged for them". That, of course, is not the point.

Has anyone else here had this problem and been successful in getting the messages to stop? I'd rather not call and have to rant at some unsuspecting phone operator, especially if I'm only going to be told again that I just have to live with it. Any information is helpful. Maybe I just missed something online. I'd love to be able to just navigate to a page on the ATT site and mark the 'Just leave me alone!' checkbox. Thanks in advance...

A suggestion - log onto your account, then go to Manage | My Profile

then go down to Marketing Settings and uncheck the box for Text Message.
Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

4 of 4 (2,397 Views)