Stolen WHT IPHONE 4G

Contributor

Stolen WHT IPHONE 4G

I have being doing some research and have found a few articles about AT&T actually having the ability to track my phone my IMEI # to the person who is using it! Does anyone know if that is possible and if so why  AT&T is not doing this? I believe they are condoning theft by not helping their customers find the phones that we actually PAY for !!!!!

Message 1 of 12 (669 Views)
Professor

Re: Stolen WHT IPHONE 4G

Man, there are so many threads on this already. Bottom line, ATT aren't the police and aren't going to take the trouble to find a phone just on someone's say-so that the phone was stolen.

File a police report and have the police request that ATT see if that IMEI is on their system and under what account. ATT will do it for the police, not for the average Joe who walks in and says their phone is lost or stolen.
Message 2 of 12 (660 Views)
Master

If you had done your research, you would know the answer, As stated file a police report and push them to investigate. ATT is not going to try to determine if your story is accurate but they will follow a court order.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 12 (654 Views)
Scholar

ATT is not condoning anything. You obviously didn't do to much research before you got your phone. As another person said--there are a lot of previous posts (with solutions) that discuss this.  Why should ATT be responsible for your phone--especially if you lost it or didn't take the necessary precautions to protect it?

Message 4 of 12 (584 Views)
Professor

AT&T will nto help you. file a police report and see if thye can help if not.  i guess you are buying a new Iphone or a nice used one from ebay or Craigslist.

Message 5 of 12 (574 Views)
Master

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, they may cover the full cost of the iPhone less any deductible.  Don't forget that when you file with the police, the value of the iPhone is much higher than the price you paid since your purchase was subsidized.  That may make them more interested in solving the crime.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 12 (563 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

youngjm wrote:

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, they may cover the full cost of the iPhone less any deductible.  Don't forget that when you file with the police, the value of the iPhone is much higher than the price you paid since your purchase was subsidized.  That may make them more interested in solving the crime.

actually the report needs to be iles on the purchase price, not the hypothetical price

Message 7 of 12 (544 Views)

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

actually the report needs to be iles on the purchase price, not the hypothetical price

Actually, this would be a state by state matter! It depends on the state's laws reguarding this subject.

Message 8 of 12 (450 Views)
Employee

California goes by full price if I remember correctly
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 12 (431 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

sonic11900 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Actually, this would be a state by state matter! It depends on the state's laws reguarding this subject.

Don;t think so, back when I had one of my shelbies stolen from a car show that was out of state I had to supply proof that the value of the car was what I stated on the police report - and it was only a few months old. Even then at full price the cost of iphone would still stay below the needed amount to turn it into a felony - at least around here the cap is 1,000 for that, hard to get a court order to release the informaiton at that level.

Message 10 of 12 (411 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

sonic11900 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Don;t think so, back when I had one of my shelbies stolen from a car show that was out of state I had to supply proof that the value of the car was what I stated on the police report - and it was only a few months old. Even then at full price the cost of iphone would still stay below the needed amount to turn it into a felony - at least around here the cap is 1,000 for that, hard to get a court order to release the informaiton at that level.

to much tax payers money is tied in a deal like that.  and not enough man power or over worked court system plays a factor into this. so if the police took a report do you really think they have sufficient manpower to even start looking or start a Investigation?  over 1 stolen Iphone?  when you have larger crimes to worry about. just how it is now days.

when my car was broken into  and the guy dow nthe street it was linked to two crimes in 1. and i left my planner in my car they got my check card and rann it up at a local Walmart with 1 hour of me finding  my car was broken into. they had video of the person using my card at walmart. the  police in my state DID nothing.and guy down the street they got his wife stuff and used her card and the police did nothing. becuase the  amount  was under 500$! 

but on my local news aired a story when a police chife house got busted into they stole credit cards and other stuff. they had Police officers and detectives on the case ASAP! now that is wrong.   

just saying good luck hope your local police help you i would not put to much trust into them for help or the court order or anything that will eat up huge amounts of public tax dollars. 

Message 11 of 12 (277 Views)
Highlighted

Yes, although in certains states the law is with you, (and in every state it's still illegal to steal anything), often times the law enforcement is not. They're great people, but they do have to deal with bigger crimes then a stolen iPhone. But you can file a report, ask them to do what they can, and use MobileMe (if you have it set-up on your device) to track the missing phone. I'm sorry for your loss!

Message 12 of 12 (259 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.